Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather disruptions to flights Monday 16th Oct - post here

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,705 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Reported as being the Flybe from Cardiff on RTE News.
    Unrelated to the storm.

Emergency on 10 now in Dublin, no details but has landed, not showing on FR

Fumes in cabin but ok once landed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭crashadder

vast majority of the flights operating at around 15:00 pm are cancelled except my flight to Rome. How does that work ? shouldnt they cancel all flights ? I would be seriously pissed if i had to go all the way to the airport and stranded there.
    even Turkish airlines have cancelled their 16:30 istanbul flight which is mostly used by people who travels onwards to south africa, israel ,middle east and africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭iancm25

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Interestingly, only 3 aircraft currently on the ground in Cork, at least 1 of which is in a hangar.

Meanwhile Shannon there's around 30 if not more currently on the ground.

All flights cancelled from Knock with the exception of EI911/912 to LGW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭BZ

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Interestingly, only 3 aircraft currently on the ground in Cork, at least 1 of which is in a hangar.

Meanwhile Shannon there's around 30 if not more currently on the ground.

The ex Monarch and Air Berlin had fuel put on over the weekend to add weight.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

BZ wrote: »
    The ex Monarch and Air Berlin had fuel put on over the weekend to add weight.

Interesting nugget of info about planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

This was in the storm thread
    Supercell wrote: »
    Curent TAF for Dublin airport:

TAF EIDW 160500Z 1606/1706 10010KT 5000 BKN005
    BECMG 1606/1609 13015G25KT 9999 SCT025
    BECMG 1609/1611 16025G40KT
    BECMG 1611/1613 16030G50KT
    TEMPO 1613/1616 17035G55KT 5000 RA BKN014
    BECMG 1616/1618 21030G45KT
    TEMPO 1621/1623 23035G55KT
    BECMG 1700/1702 24025G35KT
    BECMG 1704/1706 24015G25KT

Should be starting to kick off in the Dublin region soon with gusts in the region of around 90 - 100 km/h at peak between 13:00 and 23:00

Whilst these are fairly high winds, I've recorded winds in this range around once a year here since i started recording, so nothing exceptional in Dublin seems likely though there will be some trees down and damage. Rainfalls amounts in Dublin are likely to be nothing special so no danger of flooding.

Could anyone translate it into what it might mean for flights, particularly between 11 and noon please?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

JCX BXC wrote:

Now cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 7 erydo

hi hoping someone can ease my nerves. my parents have boarded flight fr7125 from lanzarote to dublin due to land around 3 30pm. I'm a terribly nervous flyer and even though I'm not on the plane I'm sick with nerves at home worrying about it. why has this flight not been cancelled when other ones due around same time have been??

• Advertisement

UsedToWait wrote: »

Could anyone translate it into what it might mean for flights, particularly between 11 and noon please?

Between 12-2pm conditions will be challenging, ground operations may cease. Aircraft will probably land as there's no crosswind expected.

Between 2pm-5pm conditions will be extremely challenging, if those winds come off (55kt gusts) I can't see any activity.

erydo wrote: »
    hi hoping someone can ease my nerves. my parents have boarded flight fr7125 from lanzarote to dublin due to land around 3 30pm. I'm a terribly nervous flyer and even though I'm not on the plane I'm sick with nerves at home worrying about it. why has this flight not been cancelled when other ones due around same time have been??

Because the winds are straight down the runway and just inside the aircrafts limits. It’ll be a little bumpy but nothing too dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

Are there likely to be knock on effects to flights tomorrow? I’m on the 05:50 Cork to Amsterdam, my flight today was cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭1123heavy

Becoming at 09 UTC to 11 UTC Wind 25 kt from the South/Southeast with gusts up to 40 kt

Becoming at 11 UTC to 13 UTC Wind 30 kt from the South/Southeast with gusts up to 50 kt

Temporary at 13 UTC to 16 UTC Wind 35 kt from the South with gusts up to 55kt. Visibility: 5000 m Broken clouds at a height of 1400 ft, rain

Becoming from 16 UTC to 18 UTC Wind 30 kt from the South/Southwest with gusts up to 45 kt

Temporary from 21 UTC to 23 UTC Wind 35 kt from the Southwest with gusts up to 55 kt

Midnight tonight:

Becoming from 00 UTC to 02 UTC Wind 25 kt from the West/Southwest with gusts up to 35 kt

Becoming at 04 UTC to 17 at 06 UTC Wind 15 kt from the West/Southwest with gusts up to 25 kt

Wind basically strongest for a half an hour period between 1pm - 4pm and another half an hour period between 9pm to 11pm with the gusts at those times reaching 55kts or 102 km/hr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Wind at Dublin as of 1345 is 160 degrees, 32 gusting to 45 knots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

EchoIndia wrote: »
    Wind at Dublin as of 1345 is 160 degrees, 32 gusting to 45 knots.

Is there a defined point at which flight is not possible?

Is there a defined point at which flight is not possible?

Once gusts go above 50kts ground ops stop, once they go above 60kts very few land from what I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Actually due to technical fault. Before this happened pax were told if they couldn't land in shannon they'd be diverting to Paris!

Why Paris???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭plodder

Amazed to hear incoming flights to Dublin all afternoon right through the worst of it. I suppose the wind direction is ideal for 16 and maybe it hasn't been excessively gusty.

plodder wrote: »
    Amazed to hear incoming flights to Dublin all afternoon right through the worst of it. I suppose the wind direction is ideal for 16 and maybe it hasn't been excessively gusty.

Still landing now, however direction is shifting so it'll be interesting to see how that goes.

• Advertisement

Still landing now, however direction is shifting so it'll be interesting to see how that goes.

Winds are often that strong or worse during winter storms. Direction has helped a lot but I’d expect later when it moves to 210-250 it’ll cause more hassle and hence flights later being cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Wind basically strongest for a half an hour period between 1pm - 4pm and another half an hour period between 9pm to 11pm
    30 minutes? Where did that come from in the forecast?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Still no departures from SNN, anyone know why? Flights are landing ok

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Have any flights diverted yet from Dublin?

Locker10a wrote: »
    Still no departures from SNN, anyone know why? Flights are landing ok

Well the EI Boston flight has just left.

Short haul would have to wait until the inbound aircraft had turned around.

EI to LHR and Ryanair to Malaga have also departed.

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    Have any flights diverted yet from Dublin?

Yes, 1 from Rome diverted to Newcastle.

Winds have died an awful lot at DUB now, struggling to stay above 20kts in 2min means.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

xabi wrote: »
    Are there likely to be knock on effects to flights tomorrow? I’m on the 05:50 Cork to Amsterdam, my flight today was cancelled.

Reckon you will be fine, flying to AMS from DUB myself at 6.50 and looks like the planes are in Dublin.

Airport will probably be wild though

I suspect that the four Aer Lingus A320s will return to Cork later this evening from Dublin.

Winds have died an awful lot at DUB now, struggling to stay above 20kts in 2min means.

Wind now 200 degrees 30kts gusting to 52kts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement