Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ophelia Contest: Predict the Highest Gust at a Met Eireann Station

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

Roches point 106kts

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Roches 91kt

Sherkin 94kt

Johnstown Castle 80kt

Dub Air 68kt

Casement 76kt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Roches 91kt

Sherkin 94kt

Johnstown Castle 80kt

Dub Air 68kt

Casement 76kt

OI! Pick one not five! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

Rougies wrote: »
    OI! Pick one not five! :P

Sherkins his one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Roches Point 81kts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Roche's point 94knts

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

Sherkin Is - 88 kt

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Roches Point 96kt

Cork Airport 94kt

and for the hell of it

Kinsale 105kt

Dublin Airport 71kt

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭JFKIRELAND

Valentia 94 knots

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Sherkin 101kt

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

M3 94knots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ANDREWMUFC

Highest gusts my hole

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Johnstown Castle 104 knots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

Dublin Airport 133knots

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

sherkin - 78 knots

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I think I've seen 91, 90, 94, 95 kt predictions for Sherkin Island so I'll go with 93 kt for there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

Roches Point 89knts

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

92 miles per hour at Roches point.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭mrskinner

Sherkin 87

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

My contest entry stands but if there was a station at Kilkee it might top 100 after the eye passes. Mace Head also might surprise around 3-4 pm.

Not sure if we'll get a full report from Sherkin for the day eventually, they might just be having a power outage (d'ya think dinozzo?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,112 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Joanna Donnelly mentioned "an unheard of" SUSTAINED wind of 111kph at Roches Point!

Not sure why that's unheard of, its only storm force 11 and not even a station record?

The met's wording throughout this was a little odd, 'worst storm in over 50 years', 'unprecedented' etc. It was always forecast on the models to be a strong and dangerous storm but never close to record breaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,169 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

My contest entry stands but if there was a station at Kilkee it might top 100 after the eye passes. Mace Head also might surprise around 3-4 pm.

Got extremely windy here in West Clare (not far from Kilkee) after the eye passed, I took in the weather station so can't tell you the exact details, however it was very windy. I doubt it went near 100 though, 70 seems about right.

What was the maximum gust at Roches point today? My guess of 89kts there must have been very close!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Got extremely windy here in West Clare (not far from Kilkee) after the eye passed, I took in the weather station so can't tell you the exact details, however it was very windy. I doubt it went near 100 though, 70 seems about right.

What was the maximum gust at Roches point today? My guess of 89kts there must have been very close!
    156 km/h if I remember rightly, 84kts.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Hang fire on this until the review report comes out from Met E, the full data might contain a few surprises.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The data from Sherkin will be interesting, it went offline just as it was really ramping up.....

84kt was highest at Roches so far, what was interesting was the high gust ratio generally across the country...

Perhaps overall the intensity was approx 10% less than I was expecting but the widespread nature of the event means for me it surpasses the Darwin storm ---will be interesting to see if Sherkin surpassed the high gust from Darwin of 86kt at Shannon Airport...

The data from Sherkin will be interesting, it went offline just as it was really ramping up.....

84kt was highest at Roches so far, what was interesting was the high gust ratio generally across the country...

Perhaps overall the intensity was approx 10% less than I was expecting but the widespread nature of the event means for me it surpasses the Darwin storm ---will be interesting to see if Sherkin surpassed the high gust from Darwin of 86kt at Shannon Airport...

ME put a graphic on twitter that showed Sherkin under hurricane force winds just as it went offline, Roches was only under force 11 so a good chance Sherkin topped it unless it's got some shelter to the south

I think I'm currently closest in the contest but all credit to the Arpege model which nailed the whole event several days in advance, things played out exactly as it predicted except maybe slightly underplaying the very south coast depending on what Sherkin tells us

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Those of you who chose Johnstown Castle -- I think they maxed out at 62 knots but that is a very high reading for the location as it's inland several miles and surrounded by trees (I had a look on google earth once because I had noticed it always seemed to run lower than Waterford A so I wanted to see if I could get an equivalent comparison, I usually figure they run 20% below what a fully exposed site in south Wexford might report). So your guesses were not that bad given the lower exposure, I imagine it means that gusts to nearly 80 knots occurred in some places nearby. The M5 buoy also peaked near 60 knots which is quite high for that location.

I realize Fastnet is out to sea but which direction is it relative to Sherkin? I don't recall seeing reports from there during Darwin. Heard about the 1979 sailing race disaster otherwise wouldn't even have known of its existence before today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

i think I saw that Cork airport wasnt reporting all day either due to a power outage. Roches Point is in Cork harbour whereas Sherkin (on an island albeit in a bay too) and Cork airport (168m) are both pretty exposed. I would be surprised if neither beat Roches Point.

• Advertisement

It would be good it Met added a max and min windspeed to yesterdays weather on the website

Advertisement