Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vets in Dublin Leinster area

Options
  • 15-10-2017 6:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

Anyone recommend a vet for working Springer spaniels.
    Need to get pups done.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭J.R.

DSPCA ..........Dublin Society of Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

They have a vet clinic - all profits go back into the charity.

http://www.vethospital.ie/

I'ver brought my working cocker spaniel there for years - no bothers.

She developed arthritis and the medication they put her on really sorted her out and kept het hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭natdog

Thanks for the reply but I'm fairly sure they won't dock tails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

natdog wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply but I'm fairly sure they won't dock tails.

Is that not banned entirely now ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

After receiving complaints about this topic let me clarify it for everyone reading.

The docking of tails is illegal if done for cosmetic and other such reasons. In fact tail docking is, for the most part, illegal is all circumstances.

There, however, an exception. There is Ministerial regulation permitting veterinary practitioners to perform tail docking, prophylactically, on certain breeds if the individual pup is intended to be a working dog. There is a raft of other criteria to be met, including microchipping (where one is not present), and completion of an official veterinary declaration/certificate that must remain with the pup, but it can be legally done.

For more information see statutory instrument (SI) 128 of 2014
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

The vet I deal with explained it to me very straightforward; can't and won't do it for cosmetic reasons but if you bring the dog out hunting and he consistently hurts his tail while hunting it can be done to prevent needless pain and suffering. The dog is a Lab and Viszla cross and I've had him nearly three years now. He's ripped the skin on his inside back leg needing stiches, managed to put a half inch cut in the bottom of one of his ears and cut a front paw but so far hasn't done any damage to his tail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi,

So your vet is saying that he wants constant evidence of your dog suffering, before he'll do it...that doesn't strike me as humane, or considerate of the dog.

I would not be in any way happy about that, if I were you. I'd actually be looking for another vet.

I can appreciate the sensitivities around this topic, but the dog has come first. If it's a hunting breed and you show the vet a firearms license then that should be more than enough to evidence that you'll be hunting with the dog, so want to protect him.

Thanks,

G.

Didn't want a debate on the subject of tail docking but to think that your vet would rather your dog be in pain before removing a tail is hard to believe when if done as a pup would be 20 seconds of pain and that's it.This country is full of this rubbish.
    Anyway still looking for a vet to do this.

garrettod wrote: »
    Hi,

So your vet is saying that he wants constant evidence of your dog suffering, before he'll do it...that doesn't strike me as humane, or considerate of the dog.

I would not be in any way happy about that, if I were you. I'd actually be looking for another vet.

I can appreciate the sensitivities around this topic, but the dog has come first. If it's a hunting breed and you show the vet a firearms license then that should be more than enough to evidence that you'll be hunting with the dog, so want to protect him.

In hindsight I think the vet knew exactly what point to make after numerous hunting outings and no sign of any tail injuries.

garrettod wrote: »
    Hi,

I think the vet knew exactly what she was saying. After numerous hunting outings the dog hasn't even once hurt his tail. Consistently doesn't mean a long period of time either.

Got sorted on this really good vet and great to hear a vet with the opinion of it being cruel to keep a tail on a rough shooting dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

I've recently bought a springer and was given a tail docking cert with the his papers,

Advertisement