Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opinions on Irish identity

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,244 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

"(who has no intention of dealing witb the past or influencing the future, like thousands and thousands others)"

I deal with the past by moving on, I influence the future by not acting like those in the past.
    Your society, our society cannot 'move on' until the past is dealt with and the job of creating an inclusive and equal society is finished
    Have you not read the thread and seen how quickly there are those who drag the past up while pretending to embrace 'new identities'.

Because of the hard work done already you are not faced with the magnitude of the problems of the past. There are plenty, many of those thousands and thousands, I mentioned, that have an 'I'm alright Jack' attitude. Yours sounds very familiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Ulsterman96

I am alright, I am alright that Northern Ireland is in a time of peace, I am alright that our society is moving on, and has moved on, if we were to remain stuck to the past wed still be blowing each other up, and there wouldn't be a shared government, the past gets confronted every time someone decides to throw a brick, the past is confronted when the DUP and SF both celebrate and mourn members of paramilitaries who have taken innocent lives, the past is confronted when we look to it learn from it. I admit there is a lot we have to do to close old wounds, and by looking at those old wounds is our way of healing them, but just because I am not out preaching my way of life or my beliefs, it does not mean I do not care about the past, it just means I care more about the future, like I said I contribute to the future by not being sectarian, or hate filled like many of young men in Ireland has done in the past. I contribute by believing that we can move forward deeper through peace, that one day we will be able to completely co exist, and accept one and each other, and if you have a problem with that, then that is your problem, and your problem alone.

I am alright, I am alright that Northern Ireland is in a time of peace, I am alright that our society is moving on, and has moved on, if we were to remain stuck to the past wed still be blowing each other up, and there wouldn't be a shared government, the past gets confronted every time someone decides to throw a brick, the past is confronted when the DUP and SF both celebrate and mourn members of paramilitaries who have taken innocent lives, the past is confronted when we look to it learn from it. I admit there is a lot we have to do to close old wounds, and by looking at those old wounds is our way of healing them, but just because I am not out preaching my way of life or my beliefs, it does not mean I do not care about the past, it just means I care more about the future, like I said I contribute to the future by not being sectarian, or hate filled like many of young men in Ireland has done in the past. I contribute by believing that we can move forward deeper through peace, that one day we will be able to completely co exist, and accept one and each other, and if you have a problem with that, then that is your problem, and your problem alone.

My identity is not sectarian (never was) and has no hate.
    You continued inference that your non sectarian, non hating identity is unique is a bit offensive tbh. It isn't, not by a long shot.

Where is the hate and sectarianism in demanding an equal society were everyone is respected? What is 'past dwelling' about that?
    That was the past, that was why your society combusted.
    Depicting those trying to change that as sectarian hate filled people is also offensive.

I cant recall stating that your identity was sectarian, please provide me with where and when I did and I shall apologise. I don't believe I have implied or stated that my identity is perfect, non sectarian or non hating, I am human, my opinion could be changed, just like there was many of men who were like minded, who were then thrusted into hatred and sectarianism by witnessing the brutalities of what it can bring. I to am asking, not demanding a equal society, I can not demand, what people are not willing to give, there is no perfect society were everyone is respected, there is always gonna be people invested and embroiled in hatred. So apologies if you have been offended, but it is my opinion, it is my believe, that we should treat each other like wed like to be treated, and respect that we are all different, but again it is my opinion, if you do not agree or wish to not respect my stance, then that is fine, I have my opinion and you have yours, and I respect that.

I cant recall stating that your identity was sectarian, please provide me with where and when I did and I shall apologise. I don't believe I have implied or stated that my identity is perfect, non sectarian or non hating, I am human, my opinion could be changed, just like there was many of men who were like minded, who were then thrusted into hatred and sectarianism by witnessing the brutalities of what it can bring. I to am asking, not demanding a equal society, I can not demand, what people are not willing to give, there is no perfect society were everyone is respected, there is always gonna be people invested and embroiled in hatred. So apologies if you have been offended, but it is my opinion, it is my believe, that we should treat each other like wed like to be treated, and respect that we are all different, but again it is my opinion, if you do not agree or wish to not respect my stance, then that is fine, I have my opinion and you have yours, and I respect that.

When you say that you have chosen a new identity because an Irish or British one has something wrong with it, then you mean me and people like me or similar British people.
    I find that offensive and just simple generalisation.
    You are asking for an equal society and tarring those working hard for it with a very general brush. Perhaps be more specific about who you mean in fairness.

I have previously stated how much I am proud of my British and Irish identity and my love for Ireland and its people, but I believe I can not belong to one as I cherish both so much, so I identify myself as Northern Irish. And I have previously stated about bad apples etc, so I sincerely recommend that reacquaint yourself with many of my previous posts on this thread, and if you must provide screenshots to support your new angle that I am now calling every Irish person and every British person sectarian. I am asking for equality, but I cant recall tarring people other than those who bring a bad name to their communities. So I will state again, like I have stated many of times before, I am extremely proud of the peace that has been made in both sides of the divide, all the people who got on with their lives and did not hate nor discriminate those of the other side because of some bad apples, they have my respect, those who simply hate because someones religion or place of birth, they do not have my respect, and Im sure they probably aren't respected that much in their communities. 

So I apologise to any offence I might have caused you, and I hope you can accept my apology and I hope that we can move on, just like we both hope the people of our island can someday move on in forgiveness

I have previously stated how much I am proud of my British and Irish identity and my love for Ireland and its people, but I believe I can not belong to one as I cherish both so much, so I identify myself as Northern Irish. And I have previously stated about bad apples etc, so I sincerely recommend that reacquaint yourself with many of my previous posts on this thread, and if you must provide screenshots to support your new angle that I am now calling every Irish person and every British person sectarian. I am asking for equality, but I cant recall tarring people other than those who bring a bad name to their communities. So I will state again, like I have stated many of times before, I am extremely proud of the peace that has been made in both sides of the divide, all the people who got on with their lives and did not hate nor discriminate those of the other side because of some bad apples, they have my respect, those who simply hate because someones religion or place of birth, they do not have my respect, and Im sure they probably aren't respected that much in their communities. 

So I apologise to any offence I might have caused you, and I hope you can accept my apology and I hope that we can move on, just like we both hope the people of our island can someday move on in forgiveness

I accept your apology.
    You are not very specific in who you mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Just like someone from Scotland who identifies as Scottish and British, but doesn't have to come up with some new name for it? If you are proud of both traditions then identify as Irish and British and move on. I don't really see the point of this thread, you just refute opinions you asked for, say you want nothing to do with the past or the future for that matter, and have just rehashed the one roundabout thing 100 times in essay form. It's like you set up the thread to not discuss anything of note and to tell people to move on.

It is a bit more complicated than in Scotland, but thank you for honesty, I understand your point of view, but Im still going to continue identifying as Northern Irish over British/Irish but who knows, maybe Im just young and guileless and In time will become more firm footed on my identity. But for now I am continuing in my believe that we are equals on this island, and I will continue to treat people with respect and admiration in hopes that they treat me likewise. And I have not told people to move on, I have merely expressed my opinion, and have welcomed the opinions from others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭KN1231999

I Just say im British- Irish or Northern Irish im from a mixed background too

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Bishopsback

blanch152 wrote: »
    I think you have expressed yourself very well in this post and others, yes there are many whose worldview is threatened by your outlook, but it is refreshing and optimistic, two things that Northern Ireland really needs right now.

I think he has just stated that really he doesn't give a damn as long as it doesn't affect him.
    There's nothing wrong with moving on IMO, but legacy issues need to be dealt with in any society for this to happen.
    Nearly every politician I have ever encountered will tell you they are men or women for all, that they are just like this young man here.
    its balderdash, most people have a stance, an identity they are happy with, a dissaprovement of other stances and issues with other identities.
    Religious and politicians try to sell that they don't.
    Long live people with different identities who are prepared to state and argue for it I say.

I think he has just stated that really he doesn't give a damn as long as it doesn't affect him.
    There's nothing wrong with moving on IMO, but legacy issues need to be dealt with in any society for this to happen.
    Nearly every politician I have ever encountered will tell you they are men or women for all, that they are just like this young man here.
    its balderdash, most people have a stance, an identity they are happy with, a dissaprovement of other stances and issues with other identities.
    Religious and politicians try to sell that they don't.
    Long live people with different identities who are prepared to state and argue for it I say.

Which is why this 'identity' is not voting at all or is still voting along traditional lines.
    There is huge range across the Irish and British identities on this island, you only need to read some of the opinions on here.
    My opinion differs completely to somebody else's that identifies as Irish.
    The OP and I dare say all the other disparate 'Northern Irish' identities have frankly failed to show how this identity is different, there are thousands, just like him, identifying as Irish and British.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

A false King. It's just part of who we are and has been for centuries.

Thanks, just trying to relate. I always found the fact that William of Orange took money from the Pope a reason not to get to tied to either side. I'm of mixed decent myself, family originally from the north, some Scottish in the mix.
    If Prince William converted to Judaism, he would be a false King once ordained? The Loyalist element are loyal if the crown carries the right religion? Hopefully they don't revert back to Catholicism on yis :) I'm sure there are plenty non-nationalists who don't recognise any monarchy. I would like to think there are growing numbers of people voting based on policy as it relates to government and it's actions.
    As long as two-bit politicians down south use the troubles for a sly dig, it'll never go away. It'll be interesting once Gerry's generation retire. With the centenary of the civil war not too far off, every party will have it's roots in violence brought to the fore. Execpt PBP/AAA ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

. I would like to think there are growing numbers of people voting based on policy as it relates to government and it's actions.
    If that was the case then why are the DUP and Sinn Fein hammering the other parties at the polls? Young people talk a good game but don't seem arsed when it comes to the day of voting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

If that was the case then why are the DUP and Sinn Fein hammering the other parties at the polls? Young people talk a good game but don't seem arsed when it comes to the day of voting.

I know, was just hoping things might change. Similar story in the south with the lead parties having entrenched support despite the performances.
    They (younger voters) can pull the finger out on gay marriage etc. but I expect it's apathy due to all sides being a disappointment at one time or another.

• Advertisement

Thanks, just trying to relate. I always found the fact that William of Orange took money from the Pope a reason not to get to tied to either side. I'm of mixed decent myself, family originally from the north, some Scottish in the mix.
    If Prince William converted to Judaism, he would be a false King once ordained? The Loyalist element are loyal if the crown carries the right religion? Hopefully they don't revert back to Catholicism on yis :) I'm sure there are plenty non-nationalists who don't recognise any monarchy. I would like to think there are growing numbers of people voting based on policy as it relates to government and it's actions.
    As long as two-bit politicians down south use the troubles for a sly dig, it'll never go away. It'll be interesting once Gerry's generation retire. With the centenary of the civil war not too far off, every party will have it's roots in violence brought to the fore. Execpt PBP/AAA ;)
    FG FF conspired to supress what went on during our revolutionary and civil war period. Some of the files/testimonies are only being released this week.
    That has allowed a couple of generations to climb onto the high moral ground in relation to the unfinished part of that period. The bit that was left to fester until the boil burst.

You are right, a few identities might be tested over the next while. I have no doubt that many have a different attitude to 1916 after the wealth of information disseminated last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,487 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

FG FF conspired to supress what went on during our revolutionary and civil war period. Some of the files/testimonies are only being released this week.
    That has allowed a couple of generations to climb onto the high moral ground in relation to the unfinished part of that period. The bit that was left to fester until the boil burst.

You are right, a few identities might be tested over the next while. I have no doubt that many have a different attitude to 1916 after the wealth of information disseminated last year.

The main celebrations should be set for 6 December 2021, the centenary of the date we gained our independence.

I know, was just hoping things might change. Similar story in the south with the lead parties having entrenched support despite the performances.
    They (younger voters) can pull the finger out on gay marriage etc. but I expect it's apathy due to all sides being a disappointment at one time or another.
    Apathy is a pathetic excuse. The young "liberal" element in NI should just accept the majority don't support what they believe, certainly not within Unionism.

The main celebrations should be set for 6 December 2021, the centenary of the date we gained our independence.

And conveniently forget how it was achieved.

Apathy is a pathetic excuse. The young "liberal" element in NI should just accept the majority don't support what they believe, certainly not within Unionism.

Can you stand over the Unionist denial of rights that everyone else has on these islands? You identify as Unionist don't you?

I would be interested in how the unionist identity squares that one?

• Advertisement

Can you stand over the Unionist denial of rights that everyone else has on these islands? You identify as Unionist don't you?

I would be interested in how the unionist identity squares that one?
    Don't care on gay marriage, lean more towards DUP view on Irish language act.

You don't care?

You don't care?
    It doesn't interest me. It's not something I am passionate about either way.

It doesn't interest me. It's not something I am passionate about either way.

If you read the question again, that is not what I asked you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

What relevance is that? I just don't care about it.

Do you care that 56% of those between the ages of 18-to-44 would vote for a United Ireland?

What relevance is that? I just don't care about it.

Do you care that 56% of those between the ages of 18-to-44 would vote for a United Ireland?
    Which dodgy poll is this beauty?

A unionist identity should be able to explain why ordinary rights are being blocked.

Not personally caring as an answer is just a fudge.

Which dodgy poll is this beauty?

Here you go. See that 56%? It will go higher.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DNAMhNoWkAAsu8l.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

[QUOTE=murphaph;105035016]There's no such things as Scottish, Welsh or or English nationals. Those are countries (Wales a principality in fact). The nation here is the UK. You can be a British national. NI is in this regard no different except it underwent a conflict completely unique in the British Isles (or whatever new term you want to use) so it's really strange that people don't think a separate identity could be forged out of this uniqueness.[/QUOTE]

So when were these nations abolished and/or subsumed into this "British Nation"?

Ah yes, that is in answer to question 3, is it not?

A very twisted form of question.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/brexit-impact-on-northern-ireland-could-sway-border-poll-result-survey-36261684.html

"However, if Northern Ireland bears the brunt of a tough Brexit, those figures change from 54% in favour and an 11 point rise to 46% saying it should join with the republic"

Even with a hard Brexit that damages Northern Ireland, the poll numbers still show a vote for remaining in the UK.

That is one very dodgy poll.

• Advertisement

A unionist identity should be able to explain why ordinary rights are being blocked.

Not personally caring as an answer is just a fudge.

Why? As one wise man :rolleyes: said not so long ago, you can have your own identity and not be part of a cohesive group.

You are entitled to your identity, but I'm glad you said that it is your own identity and not part of a cohesive group.

Why? As one wise man :rolleyes: said not so long ago, you can have your own identity and not be part of a cohesive group.

I asked a simple question and got a fudge.

An a la carte unionist maybe. Can pronounce vehemently on an Irish language act, but 'doesn't care' about an issue which he knows cannot be defended unless it is about religion.
    Quite shocking that somebody who waxed on about their reasons for attacking SF earlier, would try and defend that.

Actually that is remarkable, 46% would vote for a UI tomorrow... tomorrow? Wow! That's before any discussion on transition phase, the utter economic failure the north has been, guaranteeing rights for Unionists, the British being delighted to see the back of it and so on.

What? Why? It's an economically destructive Brexit is a distinct possibility. Just because support for a UI terrifies you doesn't mean the question has any less value.

Frankly, I'm surprised support is so strong in the wider population considering all the scare-stories about healthcare, loyalist violence, plagues of locusts, straight bananas etc.

Actually that is remarkable, 46% would vote for a UI tomorrow... tomorrow? Wow! That's before any discussion on transition phase, the utter economic failure the north has been, guaranteeing rights for Unionists, the British being delighted to see the back of it and so on.

What? Why? It's an economically destructive Brexit is a distinct possibility. Just because support for a UI terrifies you doesn't mean the question has any less value.

Frankly, I'm surprised support is so strong in the wider population considering all the scare-stories about healthcare, loyalist violence, plagues of locusts, straight bananas etc.

...and all those Northern Ireland identities.

Where are they showing in those figures?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

It doesn't matter alone if a majority of NI voters back a UI. The RoI electorate also needs to be convinced that a union is in our best interests. An integration of a deeply divided north will not be something the southern voter will go for. The north needs to be at peace with itself first.

murphaph wrote: »
    It doesn't matter alone if a majority of NI voters back a UI. The RoI electorate also needs to be convinced that a union is in our best interests. An integration of a deeply divided north will not be something the southern voter will go for. The north needs to be at peace with itself first.

We only get a vote to amend our constitution, and that will pass, no question. The southern parties and institutions will have to be seen to support reunification, and Lisbon mark II just goes to show how the masses in Ireland always succumb to a bit of sustained mongering. And even if the southern parties and institutions didn't support it, it's one issue that would pass anyway. We've constantly heard down the years from people opposed to a united Ireland, to leave the status quo be until the democratic will of the statelet says otherwise, thinking that day will never comes. Now that it's being discussed and the demographs are changing, the backtracking has begun

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/brexit-impact-on-northern-ireland-could-sway-border-poll-result-survey-36261684.html

"However, if Northern Ireland bears the brunt of a tough Brexit, those figures change from 54% in favour and an 11 point rise to 46% saying it should join with the republic"

Even with a hard Brexit that damages Northern Ireland, the poll numbers still show a vote for remaining in the UK.

Well you got to it before I could rip it apart. But you are correct, a nothing poll.

Well you got to it before I could rip it apart. But you are correct, a nothing poll.

Another question for you.
    How long will it take for the unionist identity to realise that Never Never Never is not an answer that has ever worked for them. They always and up capitulating or compromising in some way.
    Why? Because their stance on those issues is inherently wrong.

The reality is that many of the people who are. Neither nationalist or unionist want to be reunified with ROI, like myself I like the way things are and how we have progressed, don't want to lose it all

• Advertisement

The reality is that many of the people who are. Neither nationalist or unionist want to be reunified with ROI, like myself I like the way things are and how we have progressed, don't want to lose it all

I have never seen any serious indication that the south would reject unity.
    The political parties? Not a mission, that would be a recipe for decimation.
    The notion they would reject is a dream of partitionists whose ideas are more redundant everyday.
    Brexit will hasten that.

We only get a vote to amend our constitution, and that will pass, no question. The southern parties and institutions will have to be seen to support reunification, and Lisbon mark II just goes to show how the masses in Ireland always succumb to a bit of sustained mongering. And even if the southern parties and institutions didn't support it, it's one issue that would pass anyway. We've constantly heard down the years from people opposed to a united Ireland, to leave the status quo be until the democratic will of the statelet says otherwise, thinking that day will never comes. Now that it's being discussed and the demographs are changing, the backtracking has begun
    No backtracking. The GFA which we all signed up to makes it quite clear that both parts of Ireland must be given a vote on unification.

You assume the southern vote in favour is a given. I do not.

Brexit has shown how dangerous constitutional change can be to an economy. The Irish electorate will want to see the sums. They'll not vote for a completely unknown quantity. They'll want to see economic projections and will want to know the security situation is no longer a problem.

I kind of like the idea of a UI but I wouldn't sacrifice the economy for one.

I have never seen any serious indication that the south would reject unity.
    The political parties? Not a mission, that would be a recipe for decimation.
    The notion they would reject is a dream of partitionists whose ideas are more redundant everyday.
    Brexit will hasten that.
    Brexit will hasten NI's economic ruin for sure. That doesn't make the place a more appealing prospect to the southern electorate!

If a good deal was offered by the UK and EU to subsidise NI while it was incorporated into the RoI then there might be some traction there but only a moron would vote to take over the role as NI's sugar daddy.

KN1231999 wrote: »

I like the way it is too. I don't see the need to change it. I can easily travel across the border with ease and be in and out of both jurisdictions. You have northern people interacting with southern people all the time now.

I like the way it is too. I don't see the need to change it. I can easily travel across the border with ease and be in and out of both jurisdictions. You have northern people interacting with southern people all the time now.
    Yup exactly, we have mostly peace and ever growing prosperity in the North and South. There's. I doubt that if Ireland unifies there was be an all out civil war, not just in the north but all over the island. I can assure you I'm not staying for that I'm going straight to Mainland UK

• Advertisement

Yup exactly, we have mostly peace and ever growing prosperity in the North and South. There's. I doubt that if Ireland unifies there was be an all out civil war, not just in the north but all over the island. I can assure you I'm not staying for that I'm going straight to Mainland UK

No backtracking. The GFA which we all signed up to makes it quite clear that both parts of Ireland must be given a vote on unification.

You assume the southern vote in favour is a given. I do not.

Brexit has shown how dangerous constitutional change can be to an economy. The Irish electorate will want to see the sums. They'll not vote for a completely unknown quantity. They'll want to see economic projections and will want to know the security situation is no longer a problem.

I kind of like the idea of a UI but I wouldn't sacrifice the economy for one.

No, we didn't vote on the GFA, we amended our constitution. If we get a vote, it will be to reword some stuff in the constitution. It will be shoehorned through somehow, even if we are made vote again

It just goes to show the hypocritical mentality of some though. For decades shouting about the heinous IRA and telling them to embrace peace and the democratic process to achieve their aims. And when they then attempt to pursue their aims in this manner, the same people then want to turn them away regardless. In effect, pompously pontificating for SF to obtain a democratic majority for a united Ireland in the north, only for those same people to try and ignore it. If you want a party to engage in a process in good faith, then you should also engage in that process in good faith and accept the result of the majority in the north and suck it up. Half the population there did not ask to be partitioned, and it is as much their birthright to live under Irish rule as it is for any other Irish person.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

The point is that 'the way things are' is about to change drastically with Brexit.

In the near future things may be more like the way they were inside the ROI than inside the UK.

Knowing those who identify as Irish, and the fact that most unionists are pragmatic, I think talk of a civil war is laughable to be honest.

We never had a conventional war in Ulster which is something that could have settled the issue before WW1 broke out with two sets of armies lead by generals with a decisive victory, like the American Civil War or the English Civil War. We missed out on that opportunity.

Although saying that the English people begged for the restoration, so maybe the English civil not the best example.

• Advertisement
Advertisement