Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow Roll Dublin

Options
  • 15-10-2017 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭

I was on YouTube earlier and came across a group from the US called Slow Roll, who organize regular leisurely paced (hence the name) bike rides around their neighborhoods as a form of cycle activism and advocacy. It gets people of all ages and fitness levels out on all kinds of bikes, and at the same time let’s the greater community know that cyclists aren’t going away and need to be catered for.

I thought this would be a perfect type of event for Dublin so I went looking to see if someone had thought of it sooner. There’s a website, Facebook group, Twitter and Instagram accounts set up for Slow Roll Dublin, but they’re all empty. Does anyone know who’s behind it and if it’s going to happen?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

After looking at their videos tbh it looks like a sure fire way of alienating cyclists and pissing other road users off.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

I don't see it as any more confrontational than the "I Bike Dublin" cycle lane actions myself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I assumed the worst when I read the OP's post but having watched some of the videos this looks a great community and family event. Seems the police are supportive of it and providing marshalling too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Appian Way in Rome is closed to traffic on Sundays, and given over to pedestrians and cyclists. Not a problem for motorists because it is well known and predictable.
    Maybe something similar could be done on one of the more scenic roads out of Dublin, eg the strawberry beds road along the Liffey? With exceptions made for local access and kayakers, driving slowly.

Advertisement