Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are schools closing TUESDAY!?***Update Answer= Yes***

Options
  • 15-10-2017 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭

Have any schools announced closure tomorrow?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Icsics wrote: »
    Have any schools announced closure tomorrow?

Dunno, but would that day have to be made up during hols if it's closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭maude6868

I'm in Co. Clare, almost all schools closed tomorrow including mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Dunno, but would that day have to be made up during hols if it's closed?

Tuition time should be made up, but this can be done without eating into school holidays. Cancelling trips and tours, sports day, nativity services etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

https://www.education.ie/en/Press-Events/Press-Releases/2017-Press-Releases/PR2017-10-15a.html

Schools have to close if covered by a red warning. Schools in orange alert zones are to monitor forecasts and "err on the side of caution".

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

The minister has ordered the closures not the individual BOM so as it was taken out of schools hands I would assume the day will not be made up......

• Advertisement

km79 wrote: »
    The minister has ordered the closures not the individual BOM so as it was taken out of schools hands I would assume the day will not be made up......

Welllll usually the minister/dept. can only advise.

But I'll go with that logic if he has issued an edict :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,268 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

According to The National Emergency Coordination Committee -
    All schools in Galway, Mayo, Clare, Limerick, Kerry, Cork, Waterford & Wexford will be closed tomorrow.

Moody_mona wrote: »
    Tuition time should be made up, but this can be done without eating into school holidays. Cancelling trips and tours, sports day, nativity services etc.

I don't know about cancelling the trips etc. There's meaningful education involved in them too, so I'd presume they are counted as 'tuition time'.

I don't know about cancelling the trips etc. There's meaningful education involved in them too, so I'd presume they are counted as 'tuition time'.

The circular specifically suggests prioritising classroom learning over school tours.

The circular specifically suggests prioritising classroom learning over school tours.

If a tour takes place during a school day it's still a school day no?

• Advertisement

Schools out for everyone horrraaayyy

https://www.education.ie/en/Press-Events/Press-Releases/2017-Press-Releases/PR2017-10-15b.html

So that definitely means a make up day in easter holls I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Schools out for everyone https://www.education.ie/en/Press-Events/Press-Releases/2017-Press-Releases/PR2017-10-15b.html

We have another day that could be taken instead
    I'm sure other school s too

km79 wrote: »
    We have another day that could be taken instead
    I'm sure other school s too

In our school I think we agreed on a random day after Christmas sometime as we were owed one!

Any school that ignores the instructions in the circular to find other ways such as shortening exam periods to make up time, and goes straight for using a holiday day is a disgrace imo. It's there in black and white in the circular. Contingency arrangements are meant for extended closures not a single day.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭MacGyver007

Schools out for everyone horrraaayyy

https://www.education.ie/en/Press-Events/Press-Releases/2017-Press-Releases/PR2017-10-15b.html

Last time there was a status red for wind in 2014, none of the schools in my local area had to make the day back later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭painauchocolat

My understanding is that the expectation is to make up lost teaching time, not lost days. So school days where teaching wouldn't have happened (like sports day) can be turned back into classroom days, thus fixing the shortfall in teaching

I bet they'll try it on though... just to bring out the anti-teacher rabble going on about holidays. Or else the spin doctors will get it in..

Watch this space.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭frenchmartini

That does include FE colleges? Just double checking. I have a student doing an exam tomor.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

That does include FE colleges? Just double checking. I have a student doing an exam tomor.

I would expect so. I would also expect the FE college's management to do a group text saying so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Take it that the announcement from the minister includes all educational services no matter the sector.

• Advertisement

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Take it that the announcement from the minister includes all educational services no matter the sector.

Yup! Updated again..
    In response to the imminent Storm Ophelia, the Department of Education and Skills is now publicly informing all schools, colleges and other education institutions that they are to remain closed tomorrow, Monday 16 October.

This decision has been made following discussions with members of the Government Task Force on Emergency Planning and in light of the advice from Met Éireann on this unprecedented storm.

All schools and colleges will be closed tomorrow.

My understanding is that the expectation is to make up lost teaching time, not lost days. So school days where teaching wouldn't have happened (like sports day) can be turned back into classroom days, thus fixing the shortfall in teaching

Ah not sports day :(
    That's my favorite day.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Ah not sports day :(
    That's my favorite day.

We already had ours. Phew!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

I thought after the Snow Days in 2010 etc., schools have to designate days on the school calendar specifically to make up for school closures like this? I know some schools choose days off the February mid term. Have already booked flight to Rome for then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

Knew I saw it somewhere. Hate circulars so don't bother reading a lot of them :D

Yes. Let's hope certain principals and BOMs read it too. A few seem to have blanked out numbers 1-3.

Yes. Let's hope certain principals and BOMs read it too. A few seem to have blanked out numbers 1-3.

Exactly. "prolonged closure" also.

Circulars are incredibly useful documents and worth being familiar with.

Days over midterm and Easter are worst case scenario. Please do not start spreading that making up days is definite. #fakenews

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

This situation is not a schools only one today, it affects nearly every worker out there. Will all the bus drivers/museum workers/postmen etc etc have to make up the day?

• Advertisement

TheDriver wrote: »
    This situation is not a schools only one today, it affects nearly every worker out there. Will all the bus drivers/museum workers/postmen etc etc have to make up the day?

I think there are varying employment laws that apply so I suppose it would depend on the contract too. (E.g 24hrs notice must be given etc).
    And teachers are special :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement