Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are schools closing TUESDAY!?***Update Answer= Yes***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Aaaaand closed tuesday too ..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Somewhat surprised at early decision on tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭andreoilin

TheDriver wrote: »
    Somewhat surprised at early decision on tomorrow

where are you seeing this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Does this include 3rd level?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Is this you again DCU?? 😋

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

So now that its two days where do we stand, I'm getting a ton of texts as I'm active in the union?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Really surprised about Tuesday closures. Still a lovely day in Dublin and you'd think local arrangements would have been more suitable.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

A bit of a joke that they are closed tomorrow. Everything is expected to be back to normal tomorrow. Should be done on a case by case basis

• Advertisement

He has stated it is to allow time to assess the buildings which is probably a decent idea. I'd guess also that the coordination team pushed for it, taking all those children and parents off the roads will mean it is quicker and easier to get around and assess/fix damage to vital services in the morning

So now that its two days where do we stand, I'm getting a ton of texts as I'm active in the union?

If there are dodgy trees to be assessed / cleared , and electricity is still out then it might be best to issue blanket closure. I'd tell em stay tuned.... to this forum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I'd tell em stay tuned.... to this forum :)
    Just announced. All schools to remain closed till next Monday!
    Worth a shot? :D

Sorry I meant in terms of making up the days.

And we were supposed to have a PT meeting (1/2 under the old circular rules, 1/2 croke park) tomorrow, does that get rescheduled or not?

It comes across as precious for them to be wondering about those kinds of details today, tell them nobody knows anything for sure yet, time will tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Really surprised about Tuesday closures. Still a lovely day in Dublin and you'd think local arrangements would have been more suitable.

It's not a lovely day here in West Dublin. There are lots of trees down. My neighbour has a tree through her kitchen window and a few roads are blocked. Power is gone in some areas too - seems to be quite localised though. My friend's shed took off and scaled her wall.

It comes across as precious for them to be wondering about those kinds of details today, tell them nobody knows anything for sure yet, time will tell.

Blame the principal. He raised it first :rolleyes:

I had a tonne of tests and homework to correct so i sat down beside an open window today... suddenly .... I saw an injured bird in the garden...!

Yee all know how this essay ends :)
    H1

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Pacifico wrote: »
    Does this include 3rd level?

Any word re colleges and universities??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭acequion

Ah feck this malarky of a blanket closure tomorrow,that's health and safety gone mad! :mad: Now I'm not for one minute trying to minimise this storm. I'm well aware that there have been fatalities and a lot of structural damages and lives were definitely saved by the widespread closures everywhere today.

But tomorrow! Now while I would actually like to see some of the lost tuition recouped as I will have lost three 6th English periods over the two days which will set me back in a long course if not made up, I certainly don't want to find myself making it up during holiday time. A lot of the kids wouldn't come in then anyway, making it counter productive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭andreoilin

cactusgal wrote: »
    Any word re colleges and universities??

Report on RTÉ said that it'll be up to each third level institution to decide for themselves.

Blame the principal. He raised it first :rolleyes:
    Wasn't having a go, just saying they should leave it settle, literally all up in the air so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

I'm casually subbing in my school so presume I won't be paid for yesterday or today?
    Also due to open days in universities i'm missing my LC class Wednesday and we were due to close for staff CDP later in the week so missing them there again - whole week of teaching out them gone now

I bet they'll try it on though... just to bring out the anti-teacher rabble going on about holidays. Or else the spin doctors will get it in..

Watch this space.

:pac:
    ..so Claire Byrne is asking this tough question tonight on RTE (after the Anthony Foley documentary) --》

"Do schools 'really' remain closed tomorrow".

I Wonder where this is gong?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

This is an overreaction.

Some parts of the country have been badly hit, but others have hardly been affected at all. Another day of closure is total overkill, especially if it is for the whole country, no exceptions. Those who need to close should do so, but all should not be forced to.

The argument that schools have to be checked for damage is not sustainable - most other organizations are returning to work tomorrow, and they are all housed in buildings that may or may not have been damaged. In parts of the country it is not possible that any damage was done, as there wasn't anything above a medium strong wind for a few hours.

I work in Adult Ed in an ETB, and they have closed too - utterly pointlessly as there is no damage in our area. Of course most of us teachers are not being paid at the moment either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I think closing schools was as much to keep traffic off the roads as for any other reason. Totally unnecessary in parts of the country but the quieter roads will speed up the clean up.

fisgon wrote: »
    This is an overreaction.

Some parts of the country have been badly hit, but others have hardly been affected at all. Another day of closure is total overkill, especially if it is for the whole country, no exceptions. Those who need to close should do so, but all should not be forced to.

The argument that schools have to be checked for damage is not sustainable - most other organizations are returning to work tomorrow, and they are all housed in buildings that may or may not have been damaged. In parts of the country it is not possible that any damage was done, as there wasn't anything above a medium strong wind for a few hours.

I work in Adult Ed in an ETB, and they have closed too - utterly pointlessly as there is no damage in our area. Of course most of us teachers are not being paid at the moment either.
    Check that out with the union maybe. I think you have to be given more than 24hrs notice if they want to dock wages.
    It's probably at the discretion of the employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭doc_17

Whatever about this being an overreaction at least we will all definitely know by tonight that no child or teacher were killed as a result of going to school during a tropical storm or ex-hurricane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

acequion wrote: »

But tomorrow! Now while I would actually like to see some of the lost tuition recouped as I will have lost three 6th English periods over the two days which will set me back in a long course if not made up, I certainly don't want to find myself making it up during holiday time. A lot of the kids wouldn't come in then anyway, making it counter productive.

I don't think any teacher should be sailing this close to the wind to be honest. Things happen, you get sick, students get sick (very easily in many cases), students go off on trips, sport disrupts class. Three classes is surely manageable in the grand scheme of things?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

doc_17 wrote: »
    Whatever about this being an overreaction at least we will all definitely know by tonight that no child or teacher were killed as a result of going to school during a tropical storm or ex-hurricane.

And closing the schools was also one very obvious way to take literally thousands of people off the road at the stroke of a pen. All the more so when you see some of the insane driving and cycling practices during the school run.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement