Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia Limerick

• 15-10-2017 2:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭

So just saw on the news that Limerick has been added to the Red warning for the upcoming storm Ophelia.

Were there floods in city centre area in the past? Any particular areas that one should avoid tomorrow?

Everyone keep safe!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭topcat72

Have just heard that a number of city primary schools are closing , as the wind/storm warnings are now red.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

They could all be closed as the evening goes on. Even Mary Immaculate College is closing for the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Folks take in all your garden furniture and toys.

If you have gates tie them shut or if they are solid consider tieing them in an open position.

Stock up on candles and make sure your phones are fully charged tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Any chance of shopping centres closing tomorrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

A wet and windy day for the city anyway. It could be different for those in other counties on the coast or maybe those in Foynes or similar westerly shannon areas.

Lots of public services are closed tomorrow, mostly school and community centres. I, along with 1000's of others, will get up and travel to work as normal tomorrow albeit in lighter traffic. :D

Be grand lads. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,274 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Met Eireann are advising emergency travel only tomorrow in status red areas. I'd imagine it's going to be a formality as the evening goes on that schools start announcing they are closing.

ESB, roofers and satellite tv repair folks are going to be busy over the next few days I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

UL not closing as of yet. I'm suprised as between all the tree's and river I thought it would be high risk. I certainly don't fancy cycling out there tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

UL closed tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭woggie

Does anyone know if limerick tutorial college is closed?

woggie wrote:
    Does anyone know if limerick tutorial college is closed?

In my day we could have been in the middle of the apocalypse and john senior would still have made us all come in for chemistry grinds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭masterboy123

That's right. Will charge phones tonight and just stocked up the food for next few days.

Limerick university is closed tomorrow, they have posted on their FB page.

Any flood prone areas in Limerick?

They put in a new flood defense barrier along the queues a few years back. They were upgrading the Island Field recently too so that's usually a high risk flood area.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭woggie

panda100 wrote: »
    In my day we could have been in the middle of the apocalypse and john senior would still have made us all come in for chemistry grinds.

lol I'm sure that's still the case, my lad is travelling from Clare though so not sure if it's worth the risk!

What about Henry street and S circular road areas?
    bazz26 wrote: »
    They put in a new flood defense barrier along the queues a few years back. They were upgrading the Island Field recently too so that's usually a high risk flood area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

South circular road isnt near water?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

It might be tomorrow😛😛

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

What's the river like at the moment? Is the tide high?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 john72carter

be sure to put your name and address on your trampoline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Any flood prone areas in Limerick?

Seems there will be a tidal surge as well, so hopefully it doesn't flood too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Toffeeboy

LIT closed tomorrow

• Advertisement

Flood barriers in place near Quays

2mx0ob7.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

panda100 wrote: »

He'd have been sweating, tearing off sheets of A4 wiping his brow at a low turnout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

All Bus Eireann nationwide routes now cancelled tomorrow according to RTE News.

jacksie66 wrote: »
    They're redoing the roof in the crescent shopping centre. Hopefully the wind doesn't peel the roof off..

My gaff is in the firing line of potential airborne Crescent renovation debris. Pray for Snotaul folks. Godspeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

Keep an eye on the storm here: earth.nullschool.net

Example:
    https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-6.24,38.44,593/loc=-10.170,51.993

Stay safe all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

jacksie66 wrote: »
    All dunnes stores are closed in Ireland tomorrow. No post either and no busses. And I've to go to work in the crescent. Great craic.

Same as you mate. Gotta get from caherdavin and don't drive

jacksie66 wrote:
    All dunnes stores are closed in Ireland tomorrow. No post either and no busses. And I've to go to work in the crescent. Great craic.

Is the shopping centre not closed?? Looks like everyplace is shut in town today. Stayed out in Rathkeale last night and not a car on the main road this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

It's picking up momentum now, stay safe folks. Shame the cresent is open, who would risk going in there today??

Advertisement