Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia Limerick

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Whats the damage like in town y'all? Still pretty stormy out here in Rathkeale but doesn't look like any serious damage here. Sun is peeping out so looks like worst could be over? I was hoping to head into the city for pilates at 6. Literally can't stand being copped up like a battery chicken in the house!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

panda100 wrote: »
    Whats the damage like in town y'all? Still pretty stormy out here in Rathkeale but doesn't look like any serious damage here. Sun is peeping out so looks like worst could be over? I was hoping to head into the city for pilates at 6. Literally can't stand being copped up like a battery chicken in the house!

On the radio now they are saying the worst could be yet to come even if it seems calmer now. The underside of the eye will bring westerly winds and they tend to be stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Dick Rimmington

is it just me or is it after getting eerily quiet now?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

High tide is due around 5:00 pm and the water level is already looking very high around the strands in town. Could still be flooding in the city yet.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Out my side (caherdavin) I can't see much damage and the trees in my estate are all intact and they didn't see overly affected by the wind...Are we due stronger winds in caherdavin area?

High tide is gonna be a huge concern

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

All schools in the country closed again tomorrow. Can't see the logic in that. Surely that decision should be made at a local level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Has tbe second tier been added to the flood barriers yet ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    All schools in the country closed again tomorrow. Can't see the logic in that. Surely that decision should be made at a local level.

I think it's because there is a need to make sure the schools are safe for the children to return to them. if they are unable to be checked today then we are potentially sending them into a dangerous situation. plus the power seems to be out in many areas which would also have an impact.

A2LUE42 wrote: »

360,000 without electricity.

Roads all over the place blocked by trees and debris.

Live power cables crossing some routes.

Some areas already flooded, others still at risk.

Some schools without power, and at least one in Cork without a roof.

This will require a huge, nation-wide, coordinated effort to clean up safely. Much easier to do that when people aren't stuck in school traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Out my side (caherdavin) I can't see much damage and the trees in my estate are all intact and they didn't see overly affected by the wind...Are we due stronger winds in caherdavin area?

High tide is gonna be a huge concern

I'm also in Caherdavin and I felt that Darwin back in Feb. 2014 was considerably worse than today's storm. Darwin was the most severe wind I can recall and I thought today, while pretty stormy, wasn't as bad as I had expected. I'm sure though, other parts of the country may have suffered more today than they did with Storm Darwin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

I wonder if the universities across the country will follow suit? There were reports of trees falling at UL, they will have to act fast you would imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭transylman

Comhra wrote: »
    I'm also in Caherdavin and I felt that Darwin back in Feb. 2014 was considerably worse than today's storm. Darwin was the most severe wind I can recall and I thought today, while pretty stormy, wasn't as bad as I had expected. I'm sure though, other parts of the country may have suffered more today than they did with Storm Darwin.

As far as Limerick goes Darwin was definitely order of magnitude worse. Winds were stronger and lasted far longer (thread from that time: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057147219)

Odd, because I don't remember anything like the same precautions being taken at the time.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Ophelia was definitely worse for us, because this time we were directly in the line of the wind, lots of damage done, fences down, gates blown off hinges etc.

However I'm glad that they decided to go with a red alert, following the lessons learnt from Darwin.

Much safer to have most people at home and avoiding unnecessary trips if it avoids the potential loss of life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

My sky is banjaxed. Dish looks fine but the box is getting no signal. Not too bad if that is the worst to out up with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Clancy Strand closed to traffic now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

My sky is banjaxed. Dish looks fine but the box is getting no signal. Not too bad if that is the worst to out up with.

Back now in Corbally. Maybe do a reset by pulling the plug from the wall.

Power gone in Newport where I live. Gone since 2pm. Came back 2 mins ago. I can go home now from my mother's.

transylman wrote: »
    As far as Limerick goes Darwin was definitely order of magnitude worse. Winds were stronger and lasted far longer (thread from that time: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057147219)

Odd, because I don't remember anything like the same precautions being taken at the time.

Those two things are connected. There was next to no warning for Darwin, so people were out in the worst of it. This time we all knew to take precautions which minimised damage and injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,523 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I can hear fireworks going off in a green area near my house. Future Darwin Award winners, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

transylman wrote:
    As far as Limerick goes Darwin was definitely order of magnitude worse. Winds were stronger and lasted far longer (thread from that time:

transylman wrote:

Both points well made. There was enormous damage as a result of Darwin both to structures and landscape throughout the south and west, particularly parts of Co. Kerry. Today's conditions seem far less extreme although more prolonged.

• Advertisement

chicorytip wrote: »
    Both points well made. There was enormous damage as a result of Darwin both to structures and landscape throughout the south and west, particularly parts of Co. Kerry. Today's conditions seem far less extreme although more prolonged.

I think some important lessons were learned from Darwin too, so people were better prepared to deal with it.

And remember. The vulnerable trees and buildings that were destroyed/damaged by Darwin are gone. They couldn't be damaged by Ophelia because they were already gone. If Darwin had never happened those trees and structures would likely be destroyed/damaged in this event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Being out of power here in Murroe since 1400. Anyone see any ESB crews working in the area?

No estimates yet online for restoration in Murroe, Cappamore, Birdhill etc.

We're going to head down to my parents tomorrow outside Listowel, by some miracle they still have electricity. I would tough it out here but we have a 2 month old and I'm on annual leave for a few days as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Murroe, we came back online at about 7pm in Newport albeit I think we work of Birdhill or Castleconnell so maybe the 5 hours we were out wasn't a really bad problem. Could have been one tree on one line maybe.

When Birdhill showed up on Powercheck we were out of power the exact same time frame of 13:39

What I would say is that powercheck is useless for a few reasons. 1 being the fact the problems were unprecedented to there were no timeframes on the App, 2 you can't check the website because you've no power so no internet and 3 when the local mobile tower loses power you lose data signal so you can't check there anyway.

I had been watching RTE coverage all day and the woman from ESB was often on. Fat lot of god that does to people who don't have power because she's only telling people who have power about people who don't have power. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

iguana wrote: »
    And remember. The vulnerable trees and buildings that were destroyed/damaged by Darwin are gone. They couldn't be damaged by Ophelia because they were already gone. If Darwin had never happened those trees and structures would likely be destroyed/damaged in this event.

Also the event in 2014 followed a prolonged spell of wet weather. The ground was very soft which meant trees weren't as firmly rooted as normal and just toppled over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Anyone seen any ESB crews out around kildimo/clarina this morning ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Berty wrote: »
    Murroe, we came back online at about 7pm...

Thanks Berty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Anyone know if power is back yet anywhere in the ESB area of 'Newcastle-West'?

Looking at the ESB Powercheck site and it seems that half the county falls under Newcastle-West (Bruff, Abbeyfeale, Kilmallock etc.)

There was a certain novelty aspect to the power being off until now....candlelit dinner and breakfast with the kids but not sure if another evening of it will be as much fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Maybe this thread could be retitled 'Ophelia and Brian'?

Anyway, just letting people know that the long pavement road is flooded just on the Parteen side of the train tracks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Spudgun

power gone again in caherconlish

Advertisement