Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paul Kimmage on Claire Byrne Live Monday 16th

Options
  • 15-10-2017 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭

Paul Kimmage will be on tomorrow night discussing issues in Irish sport, from cheating and ethical issues to the hypocrisy in Irish sport to his own experience in cycling.
    Email clairebyrnelive@rte.ie if you want to be in the audience.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

His usual cheerful self then?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Getting bored of One-Trick-Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Doc07 wrote: »
    Paul Kimmage will be on tomorrow night discussing issues in Irish sport, from cheating and ethical issues to the hypocrisy in Irish sport to his own experience in cycling.
    Email clairebyrnelive@rte.ie if you want to be in the audience.

Discussing or constantly shouting?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,422 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Probably silenced, given the forecast of widespread power outages....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Doc07

Beasty wrote: »
    Probably silenced, given the forecast of widespread power outages....

I won't be surprised if I get an email soon telling people not to attend. They'll probably use the Claire Byrne time slot now for hurricane related issues.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,422 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Orphelia will probably generate more than enough hot air for us....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Doc07 wrote: »
    I won't be surprised if I get an email soon telling people not to attend. They'll probably use the Claire Byrne time slot now for hurricane related issues.

Paul could be still on about all those who cheated to get KOM's tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Etc

He's already stated he believes Ophelia had been using performance enhancing supplements given the suspicious rapid increase in power from Orange to red in such a short space of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Used to really enjoy listening to him but lately, all he seems to do is shout people down. Let's see if he can outdo Ophelia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭mikeysmith

longshanks wrote: »
    His usual cheerful self then?

Unlikely

I'll be giving him a miss after his recent sour warblings on the dub manager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

I wonder will he question Claire on how she is looking so well after just having a baby

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭nialljf

bazermc wrote: »
    I wonder will he question Claire on how she is looking so well after just having a baby
    Sexist chat

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

It's sad really but I feel the years of the LA fight has taken it's toll on him and turned him into an angry and quite paranoid man. I watched him on the Luke Fitzgerald podcast he comes across as quite unhinged these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭eoghan84

It's sad really but I feel the years of the LA fight has taken it's toll on him and turned him into an angry and quite paranoid man. I watched him on the Luke Fitzgerald podcast he comes across as quite unhinged these days.

I thought he was fairly bitter in the Rough Ride book... I presumed he was always on a downer? ...if Id have been national Irish champ ahead of Paddy Flanagan Id be delighted...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

How much airtime will he get?

There was a not completely unrelated topic on the growing social use of steroids a week or two ago. That barely got five minutes on air and was treated with little importance, but is becoming a problem among young men and women.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Nope he was always like that. He's still the same person he always was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭mikeysmith

He'd probably have been happier with the EPO and a better career

Joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Did anyone see it?

Ophelia did a job on the wires, so had no power ! :/

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 15,079 ✭✭✭✭elperello

A thread about PK on CBS 18 posts before it was on and one guy who missed it.
    Is this a record?

Incidentally rte player is your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Only saw the part where Claire questioned him about Tom Humpries. He said that TH " made a mistake" but was a great sports writer.
    He then made more effort to distance himself from TH, saying that TH had destroyed several lives, the girl he groomed and abused, his families and his own.
    Said that he had went round to see TH afte the news broke but felt that he TH,wasn't telling him the full story.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I watched it and I've no idea why he was on, unless he was there to talk about TH and DW. Claire asked him a few questions, he answered them, and that was really it.

I don't have much time for that show anymore and that bit last night just reinforced why.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,079 ✭✭✭✭elperello

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I watched it and I've no idea why he was on, unless he was there to talk about TH and DW. Claire asked him a few questions, he answered them, and that was really it.

I don't have much time for that show anymore and that bit last night just reinforced why.

+1
    CB needs to sit down with the production team.
    The show has lost it's way.

I turned it off when Brenda Power was on a few weeks back telling the viewers that people with tattoos hated their skin etc.

Some outright terrible guests and discussion on it nowadays, don't remember it being at all bad last year ??? Certainly not bad enough to make me switch it off altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

I think the criticism of Kimmage is telling.
    I think Kimmage is a very good sports writer. Compared to the usual sporting reporting we hear eg the score is 1 nil and the best team won. His articles are interesting and thought provoking. Something you rarely can say about sport writing.

What he said about Lance Armstrong was proved correct. It was a very brave thing to do . Seen how powerful and influential Armstrong was. He took him and world cycling on. And was proved right. That's what I call been a very good journalist. It's not like he was wrong about the problems in cycling . He was right.

Rugby well again , it's not like cycling where everything has come out. But if you look at the changes in players physique today and 20 years ago . It's scary. Rugby 20 years ago was a wonderful skilful game where player ducked and weaved on the field. Players had a normal physique. Now it can be exciting game. But players bulked up to unreal levels are charging into each other. The impact down the line of this sort of game on current players future health is a massive question. Painkillers and other issues in rugby are an issue that need to be talked about. To blame Kimmage for talking about issues like above make no sense.

Regards the Dubs . The Dublin current team are the most lauded and celebrated team I have seen in GAA land. Across the media there is little criticism. Compared to what Meath footballers, Clare Hurlers ,Tyrone footballers ,Donegal footballers and Waterford hurling sweeper system have all received in GAA land. Kimmage is perfectly correct to draw attention to mass Dublin players dragging their Mayo counterparts to the ground in the dying seconds of the game. Any other county would have been asked the same questions. Ex players and many of the Dublin media are very reluctant to criticise the Dubs. Any other county would have been criticised. So Kimmage again was right to ask questions.

I would rather journalists like Kimmage who ask the tough questions and are not nodding and agreeing with everything. If we had more journalist like Kimmage, Ireland past problems would have been talked about. In Ireland we don't like the whistle-blower. We have a pack mentality. We don't like to hear the unvarnished truth. I would rather the truth then some cover up of the facts. Fair play to Kimmage. Always asking the right questions. And in time has always been on the right side of the arguement because he asked the questions with out bias or favour. The truth can be ugly and unpleasant. But the truth is the truth. And we need more people in this country saying what they really hink rather then following the pack mentality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Take the Dublin thing, and I'm not a huge GAA fan, but Kimmage was just looking for some **** to stir and become part of the story, not someone commenting on the story. He's gone off the rails and he was an awful gob****e with how he approached the final and the press conference afterwards.

Take a listen to the relevant Newspaper Review on Off the Ball that Sunday morning to hear an unhinged hypocrite of the highest order. He's had some fall from grace, all of his own doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

ThisRegard wrote:
    Take the Dublin thing, and I'm not a huge GAA fan, but Kimmage was just looking for some **** to stir and become part of the story, not someone commenting on the story. He's gone off the rails and he was an awful gob****e with how he approached the final and the press conference afterwards.

I disagree. Did Dublin players drag opponents to the ground. Yes. This happened. He did not make it up. I was at the match.
    Listen every other team would have done the same. The difference is they would have been criticised. The Dubs weren't.
    Kimmage is perfectly correct to ask questions on this. An excellent sport journalist who asks the tough questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Sonny678 wrote: »
    I disagree. Did Dublin players drag opponents to the ground. Yes. This happened. He did not make it up. I was at the match.
    Listen every other team would have done the same. The difference is they would have been criticised. The Dubs weren't.
    Kimmage is perfectly correct to ask questions on this. An excellent sport journalist who asks the tough questions.

Not getting into that particular argument, it's been done a million times. They aren't tough questions, they're raised on a weekly basis across the media, long before he ever got involved.

But his reaction was hilariously over the top, akin to a kid sticking his fingers in his ears singing I'm not listening. He actually said he doesn't want to hear what other people have to say about it. It was his opinion, or nothing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I would be a fan of Kimmage and think he's an excellent writer.

He does go over the top sometimes though and he himself shouldn't be exempt from criticism.

I don't think he's wrong at all for criticising the cynicism in the GAA, it's one of the reasons I don't watch it that much. As for the rugby some of his claims, like you've repeated above, are a bit silly (that the players are bigger now = drugs) but other times he has a point i.e. pain killers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

elperello wrote: »
    +1
    CB needs to sit down with the production team.
    The show has lost it's way.
    OT but did it have "a way" in the first place? Current affairs programming is trying to out liveline liveline! A waste of time if you want proper debate, rather than somebody ranting about wanting something paid by someone elses taxes!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Sonny678 wrote: »
    I think the criticism of Kimmage is telling.
    I think Kimmage is a very good sports writer. Compared to the usual sporting reporting we hear eg the score is 1 nil and the best team won. His articles are interesting and thought provoking. Something you rarely can say about sport writing.

What he said about Lance Armstrong was proved correct. It was a very brave thing to do . Seen how powerful and influential Armstrong was. He took him and world cycling on. And was proved right. That's what I call been a very good journalist. It's not like he was wrong about the problems in cycling . He was right.

Rugby well again , it's not like cycling where everything has come out. But if you look at the changes in players physique today and 20 years ago . It's scary. Rugby 20 years ago was a wonderful skilful game where player ducked and weaved on the field. Players had a normal physique. Now it can be exciting game. But players bulked up to unreal levels are charging into each other. The impact down the line of this sort of game on current players future health is a massive question. Painkillers and other issues in rugby are an issue that need to be talked about. To blame Kimmage for talking about issues like above make no sense.

Regards the Dubs . The Dublin current team are the most lauded and celebrated team I have seen in GAA land. Across the media there is little criticism. Compared to what Meath footballers, Clare Hurlers ,Tyrone footballers ,Donegal footballers and Waterford hurling sweeper system have all received in GAA land. Kimmage is perfectly correct to draw attention to mass Dublin players dragging their Mayo counterparts to the ground in the dying seconds of the game. Any other county would have been asked the same questions. Ex players and many of the Dublin media are very reluctant to criticise the Dubs. Any other county would have been criticised. So Kimmage again was right to ask questions.

I would rather journalists like Kimmage who ask the tough questions and are not nodding and agreeing with everything. If we had more journalist like Kimmage, Ireland past problems would have been talked about. In Ireland we don't like the whistle-blower. We have a pack mentality. We don't like to hear the unvarnished truth. I would rather the truth then some cover up of the facts. Fair play to Kimmage. Always asking the right questions. And in time has always been on the right side of the arguement because he asked the questions with out bias or favour. The truth can be ugly and unpleasant. But the truth is the truth. And we need more people in this country saying what they really hink rather then following the pack mentality.

GAA players and managers have an Everest sized chip on their shoulder, every sentence starts with 'we proved the doubters wrong' or words to that effect (well apart from 'look it....')
    As for Kimmage vs that private school tit Fuitzgerald, that was the most one-sided, embarassing 'debate' I've heard in a long time, Kimmage wiped the floor with an unprofessional clown. Kimmage is a grumpy old bollix but his personality makes him the brilliant journalist he is. Hes hugely principled in a world were few have any principles left. I for one think hes superb.

Advertisement