Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moved from abroad - insuring a car

Options
  • 15-10-2017 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I have 8 claims-free-years from the Netherlands (I have them in writing from my previous insurer) and have just moved to Ireland for work.

I have bought a car (VW Passat 03, 1.6 petrol) and am trying to find an affordable insurance for this car.

I am finding only very expensive insurances, this appearantly has to do with my claims-free-years not having been built up in Ireland or the UK.

Can anyone recommend an insurer who is a bit more leniant with this? I am a very careful, experienced driver and have never been in an accident (20 years of driving in total!).

Has anybody here had the same situation before?

Any tips/help is/would be appreciated very much!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

you will have to pay the same amount that a new Lerner driver would pay. possibly more. could be talking 2 - 3 grand.
    no way around it.
    buying an old car 03 was a huge mistake.
    you need to buy a 2008+ car

• Registered Users Posts: 8 robertjagers

Hmm, that is good information... I already found out that an 'older' car will have you paying more premium (which is completely different from the Netherlands!).

Budgetwise 08+ is not possible for now.... Will be possible in 2/3 months. Will upgrade and see what the premium will be.

For now, have been quoted 1600 to 1800 per year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

actually 1600 is not bad. i know its still a rip off
    was thinking more around the 2 grand mark myself

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Do you have an Irish or a foreign licence?
    Try www.clements.com and all the insurers in the sticky thread "List of insurers"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Liberty claim tha they will accept no claims bonus records or similar from eU countries. They had no problem with mine - it was UK but they suggested other EU would be accepted.

• Advertisement

Liberty quoted me 1800 :-(

I will be insured via AXA, they quoted me 1066 annual premium without using my claims free years.

I am (somewhat) happy with it for now, will have to accept it. As soon as the budget allows it, I will look into a newer and smaller car, this will save me on tax, fuel and hopefully insurance...

For now, thanks for bearing with me :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Liberty quoted me 1800 :-(

I will be insured via AXA, they quoted me 1066 annual premium without using my claims free years.

I am (somewhat) happy with it for now, will have to accept it. As soon as the budget allows it, I will look into a newer and smaller car, this will save me on tax, fuel and hopefully insurance...

For now, thanks for bearing with me :-)

Honestly there is not much to be saved on the insurance... €1066 is a very good quote really, even with a bit of No Claims Bonus.

Unfortunately AXA made a mistake in the 1066 quote..... Alas, there was not much I could do. For now, it is 1560 annual premium.

I will however be exchanging my Dutch drivers license for an Irish one, AXA have confirmed that that will save me 453 euros on my annual premium. At first, I thought they were joking, but it is absolutely true, at a cost of 55 euros, I will be saving 453 euros :-)

Furthermore, in a couple of months we will be exchanging our car for a younger one, that will save us another 150 to 250 euros per year on the annual premium.

Will keep you posted! For now, I'm reasonably happy :-)

Advertisement