Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commute tomorrow on De bike

Options
  • 15-10-2017 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,875 ✭✭✭

Anyone else considering giving it a miss. It will be a first for me since I started over a year ago:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

billyhead wrote: »
    Anyone else considering giving it a miss. It will be a first for me since I started over a year ago:(

Rule #5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Anyone with half a brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

The advice currently being given by Met Éireann and the Gardaí is for motorists to limit their driving unless absolutely necessary. Take from that what you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Have a read of the threads on the Weather forum ... if you value your life, I'd answer NO!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

I'm not a cyclist don't post here ever just seen this thread

Anybody who contemplating getting on a bicycle tomorrow is a selfish idiot putting yourself and other road users lives at risk and also the emergency services such as paramedics when u fall of lives at risk and have to come help you.

Don't be silly tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

sjb25 wrote: »

Anybody who contemplating getting on a bicycle tomorrow is a selfish idiot putting yourself and other road users lives at risk and also the emergency services such as paramedics when u fall of lives at risk and have to come help you.

Don't be silly tomorrow

Must be a selfish idiot so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

rizzodun wrote: »

Rule #5

And what exactly does that mean?
    If people avoid cycling in tomorrow's tropical storm - they are weak?
    Hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

JK.BMC wrote: »
    Hilarious

its tongue in cheek, jeeeeeeeese.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

JK.BMC wrote: »
    Hilarious

Simply a joke.

Of course give it a miss, it's a no brainer, going by all the warnings given.

You should probably take the day off tomorrow too, sounds like you're a bit stressed out?

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

See what it's like in the morning...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

See what it's like in the morning...

Problem is it'll probably be grand in the morning, it's the journey home you'd have to worry about

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Looks like there could be fairly wide variations around the country, with a red warning for some coastal counties and orange warning for elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,079 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Think of the KOMs!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I will not be cycling tomorrow.... just not worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

sjb25 wrote: »

Don't be silly tomorrow
    It’s a large country , it’ll be perfectly safe to cycle in many parts of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

ted1 wrote: »

All 26 counties are on a high orange or a red status. So cycling wouldn't be smart

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

ted1 wrote: »

What version of ‘Crystal Ball’ software are you currently running to make that prediction?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I’m going to look at the positives regarding ex hurricane Ophelia.

I’ll take the opportunity to restock the locker in work with socks, jocks, toiletries, fresh towel and bags of Muesli.

The car is the man for this job. Bike and legs can have a rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,331 ✭✭✭secman

Going around back of of the lakes yesterday, going by a entrance to a field I took a side swipe from a cross wind, bike definitely moved to the right . The wind yesterday was absolutely nothing compared to what is coming tomorrow. Foolish and downright irresponsible to contemplate using a bike tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

If it's not very windy where you live tomorrow, then cycle, if that's your thing.

That might be a very simplistic view though, doesn't seem that complicated really.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

No need for hyperbole.

Speaking from experience...

25,000 homes without power as Storm Barney lashes country
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/25-000-homes-without-power-as-storm-barney-lashes-country-1.2433190

"Met Éireann issued a Status Orange wind warning and ferry sailings and flights have been cancelled due to the storm. The warning was put in place until late on Tuesday and affects counties Dublin, Wicklow, Galway, Clare, Kerry and Limerick, where gusts of 100-125km/h are expected and wind speeds are predicted to reach 75km/h."

And yet...
    Lumen wrote: »
    Fine up through Phoenix Park. Wind very steady.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97769944&postcount=95

• Registered Users Posts: 4,336 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

That might be a very simplistic view though, doesn't seem that complicated really.

If it's not very windy where you live tomorrow, then cycle, if that's your thing.

Indeed that is a simple view. The system will move up over the country from the SW. So it may just be a blustery morning in Dublin when you set out but it will be gale force winds by the time you're leaving work.

No need for hyperbole.

Speaking from experience...

25,000 homes without power as Storm Barney lashes country
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/25-000-homes-without-power-as-storm-barney-lashes-country-1.2433190

"Met Éireann issued a Status Orange wind warning and ferry sailings and flights have been cancelled due to the storm. The warning was put in place until late on Tuesday and affects counties Dublin, Wicklow, Galway, Clare, Kerry and Limerick, where gusts of 100-125km/h are expected and wind speeds are predicted to reach 75km/h."

And yet...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97769944&postcount=95

This is a different beast though. But your choice.

This is a different beast though. But your choice.

What do you mean exactly?

The current Orange warning from met.ie is:
    "met.ie' wrote:
    Hurricane Ophelia is expected to transition to a post tropical storm as it approaches our shores on Monday. Mean wind speeds between 65 and 80 km/h with gusts between 110 and 130km/h are expected. The winds have potential to cause structural damage and disruption, with dangerous marine conditions due to high seas and potential flooding.

For the example I gave the warning was "gusts of 100-125km/h are expected and wind speeds are predicted to reach 75km/h."

Seems about the same to me.

What do you mean exactly?

The current Orange warning is from met.ie is:

For the example I gave the warning was "gusts of 100-125km/h are expected and wind speeds are predicted to reach 75km/h."

Seems about the same to me.

Because it's the biggest hurricane to hit since 1961 and all counties will be red tomorrow

Because it's the biggest hurricane to hit since 1961 and all counties will be red tomorrow
    Where did you get the information that "all counties will be red tomorrow"?

My source is this:

https://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/default.asp

The orange warning runs all the way through to Tuesday.

Where did you get the information that "all counties will be red tomorrow"?

My source is this:

https://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/default.asp

The orange warning runs all the way through to Tuesday.

"This evening Met Eireann warned that is a possibility they may yet issue a red weather warning for all counties tomorrow as they continue to monitor the Hurricane."

Check the live feeds, independent website, rte or even boards weather forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

all counties will be red tomorrow

That's by no means definite - they said after the 6pm news that there is a chance they may upgrade the rest of the country from orange to red, so keep an eye on the met.ie site for details - but it is not certain.

Advertisement