Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commute tomorrow on De bike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Weepsie wrote: »
    Anyone who does cycle tomorrow is simply a moron.

you know where will be a few out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Galadriel wrote: »
    Yes I know it's updated now

Grand...just wanted to be sure everyone knew..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Schools are closed tomorrow so I'm not leaving the house!

http://www.thejournal.ie/hurricane-ophelia-red-warning-3647529-Oct2017/

I guess that includes primary schools, so that's the only journey I had to make tomorrow anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Well this certainly feels like the right time to strongly advocate walking helmets to people in the pedestrian forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I won't be talking the bike tomorrow now it's been upgraded to status red.
    The thoughts of sitting in traffic in the morning are not too nice and not being able to do my lunch cycle also aren't pleasant but knowing that the emergency services are gonna be busy responding to more serious cases then it's an easy decision.
    Might as well open that second bottle of wine and watch the rest of the NFL now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The thoughts of sitting in traffic in the morning are not too nice and not being able to do my lunch cycle also aren't pleasant but knowing that the emergency services are gonna be busy responding to more serious cases then it's an easy decision.
    Might as well open that second bottle of wine and watch the rest of the NFL now.

From what I can see the Milan derby is going better

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

RTÉ news carrying the Dept of Education statement on closures of schools and colleges now. They mentioned all crèches being closed too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Won't someone please think of the children!

Oh, you have. Right, carry on then.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

tomasrojo wrote: »
    RTÉ news carrying the Dept of Education statement on closures of schools and colleges now. They mentioned all crèches being closed too.

Dunno where they're getting that from. Think they mean community creches and not private providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

In response to the bolded above:

1. Agree.
    2. Definitely agree.
    3. Not a hope. Good game but just doesn't flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Work is going to be a nightmare tomorrow. If the schools are closed, lots of staff won't come in! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

neris wrote: »
    Dunno where they're getting that from. Think they mean community creches and not private providers.

I cant imagine private creches would be allowed to open "Duty of care to the children" etc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Work is going to be a nightmare tomorrow. If the schools are closed, lots of staff won't come in! :(

Indeed. Same where I work but the upside is that it will keep people at home so traffic should be lighter.

I'm already dreading the M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Possibly falling off de bike tomorrow cos of de storm.

Worth it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

PCeeeee wrote: »
    Possibly falling of de bike tomorrow cos of de storm.

Worth it?

I've already said anyone cycling tomorrow is a moron and I stand by that.

Work put something on it's website to say we're closed so my department is assuming that means we're not to go in.

I can do some work from home anyway so it's okay.

Stuff like this should show employers the value of letting employees work from home the occassional day if they had the forward planning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

They've just said on the news they're asking people NOT to cycle tomorrow. I think that's wise, the emergency services will have their hands full as it is, don't add to their work load. We just got a text from the boss to say work from home tomorrow too. Stay safe!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,336 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

They've just said on the news they're asking people NOT to cycle tomorrow. I think that's wise, the emergency services will have their hands full as it is, don't add to their work load. We just got a text from the boss to say work from home tomorrow too. Stay safe!

It's scary that they actually need to tell people not to cycle in hurricane strength winds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Alanbt

Definitely a work from home day for me. Thankfully that’s an option.

Looks like would be ok in the morning but certainly dangerous on way home.

Be sensible out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I've been told to stay home, I've far too much to do so I think I will risk the 500yard walk to work. I'll get loads done with nobody there
    College is closed though

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭matc66

I'll cycle into work and if it's windy when I'm leaving I'll walk the bike home. All 7 km.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭lamaq

It's scary that they actually need to tell people not to cycle in hurricane strength winds.

But it's not hurricane strength winds? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saffir%E2%80%93Simpson_scale

My boss would have to do more work at home with his kids than he does in work so not a hope he'll tells us not to come in.

crosstownk wrote: »
    In response to the bolded above:

1. Agree.
    2. Definitely agree.
    3. Not a hope. Good game but just doesn't flow.

That's why I watch the redzone on sky sports mix. It switches between all the games

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have talked to people worried about driving on their usual route which has overhanging trees.
    firstly, i suspect if there is an issue, the trees will be underhanging, but would you seriously drive on a road where you're worred the trees could fall on you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

snowflaker wrote: »
    I cant imagine private creches would be allowed to open "Duty of care to the children" etc

I just got a text from kids creche they're closed it's a private creche.

As for work we've to carry out a risk assessment prior to any journeys including to/from work with safety being paramount. Talk about shifting the responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,336 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

lamaq wrote:
    But it's not hurricane strength winds?

Up to 75 knots are still being modeled. So yes, they are hurricane strength winds/gusts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭alentejo

1st time ever I am driving into work due to weather. I cycled during the snow in 2010 and storm Darwin.

Advertisement