Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commute tomorrow on De bike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

lamaq wrote: »
    But it's not hurricane strength winds? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saffir%E2%80%93Simpson_scale

Best of luck so. Come back and let us know your new PB

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Weepsie wrote: »
    ....Stuff like this should show employers the value of letting employees work from home the occassional day if they had the forward planning
    .....I'd love to be able to work from home for the occasional day but it's kinda awkward for those of us who work in 'essential services'.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭lamaq

Up to 75 knots are still being modeled. So yes, they are hurricane strength winds/gusts.

According the Met Eireann hurricane-force winds will approach Ireland, with storm force spreading inland:
    WIND: Gale-force winds are expected to begin across southern parts by early Monday morning and gradually spread northwards across the country during the day. Hurricane-force winds are expected to reach southern coastal counties by late Monday morning with storm force winds spreading inland and northwards across the country during Monday.

Preparations to protect lives and property should be taken today if possible.

Wind speeds atop and on the windward sides of hills and mountains are often up to 30 percent stronger than the near-surface winds indicated in our Warnings, and in some elevated locations could be even greater.

Bit disingenuous to be suggesting the whole of Ireland can expect hurricane force winds.

Best of luck so. Come back and let us know your new PB

Don't think I mentioned anything about cycling or not. I think everyone can make up their own minds, preferably with accurate information.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭bilbot79

I'm working from home tomorrow. Work are offering taxis and hotels where they needed as well.

Not a peep of a storm yet in North dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,336 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

lamaq wrote:
    Bit disingenuous to be suggesting the whole of Ireland can expect hurricane force winds.

Don't think I said that but keep on trucking buddy.

That's why I watch the redzone on sky sports mix. It switches between all the games

If it's a poor slate of games redzone is great but a good match-up or a game involving your own team is extremely enjoyable in full imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Eerily calm..not a puff of wind up here in the foothills of Dublin, it’s actually misty/foggy!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

bilbot79 wrote: »
    ...Not a peep of a storm yet in North dublin
    Well it's not expected to hit the south coast of the country until 6am and continue north easterly.

Don't think I said that but keep on trucking buddy.

Well mentioning "hurricane-force winds" when that's likely to be for a small amount of time in a small part of the country is misleading.

• Advertisement

Well it's not expected to hit the south coast of the country until 6am and continue north easterly.

That’s not a long te for what is a slow moving cyclone. A lot of time you have a building force in front of these things* , breeze, light wind leading up the main event...
    *based on what happens in Gulf States/Caribbean

• Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I have a feeling emergency services will be stretched. If it hits as strong as it's forecasted there will be lines and trees down, roofs off, flying debris with surge flooding. The farming and fishing community will be hit hard. I drove across the country and back this weekend and the ESB 4x4's were out and pretty busy doing pre-emtive works. The fire, ambulance, rescue and gardai services will be very busy.

They'll do their best to get to everyone, but I don't think they'll appreciate cyclists heading out in that weather. Furthermore silly decisions will divert these essential services from other, more unavoidable catastrophes.

I reckon not cycling tomorrow will free up emergency services to focus on our fellow citizens that really can't avoid needing help.

So, we need to cop on here and be a bit mature and wise.

lamaq wrote:
    Well mentioning "hurricane-force winds" when that's likely to be for a small amount of time in a small part of the country is misleading.

No, implying that there's an argument for cycling anywhere on this island tomorrow is misleading.

I stand by what I said, you're the one moving goal posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

It's scary that they actually need to tell people not to cycle in hurricane strength winds.

Rte news will show cyclists, photographers, surfers and high board divers at 6 pm.

No, implying that there's an argument for cycling anywhere on this island tomorrow is misleading.

I stand by what I said, you're the one moving goal posts.

The only thing I've said regarding cycling is you should make up your own mind, based on accurate information, but you wouldn't be the only poster to see things that aren't there.

There is no moving of the goal posts, 95% of the country will experience storm-force winds tomorrow, not hurricane-force winds.

lamaq wrote:
    The only thing I've said regarding cycling is you should make up your own mind, based on accurate information, but you wouldn't be the only poster to see things that aren't there.

lamaq wrote:
    There is no moving of the goal posts, 95% of the country will experience storm-force winds tomorrow, not hurricane-force winds.

When you quote my post saying its "not hurricane force winds tho is it?"and then proceed to say oh no I meant it's "not hurricane force winds for the whole country", after I point out that we ARE being modeled to get hurricane force winds, that's moving goal posts.

I never said hurricane strength winds for the entire island. You added that bit to beef up your semantics argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

DO. NOT. CYCLE. TOMORROW.
    matc66 wrote: »
    I'll cycle into work and if it's windy when I'm leaving I'll walk the bike home. All 7 km.

A 130km/h gust will pick up your bike and dump t in the road, on a roof or on someone's head. Don't even think about it. Please.

sdanseo wrote: »
    DO. NOT. CYCLE. TOMORROW.

A 130km/h gust will pick up your bike and dump t in the road, on a roof or on someone's head. Don't even think about it. Please.

Absolutely.

Those that will cycle tomorrow will just do it anyway. Dumb, stubborn or reckless – they don’t care! Sure I’ll be grand...I’ve been out in storms before.....

....one day sans bike is not such a big deal! Certainly better than a few weeks off due to avoidable injury

I never said hurricane strength winds for the entire island. You added that bit to beef up your semantics argument.

I think when you are talking about 5% of the country (at most) then you should probably mention that rather than making general comments.

lamaq wrote:
    I think when you are talking about 5% of the country (at most) then you should probably mention that rather than making general comments.

It will be considerably more than 5% based off current models.

• Advertisement

It will be considerably more than 5% based off current models.

Well, we won't know until tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Well, we won't know until tomorrow.

The government has activated the Emergency Broadcast System. What more evidence do you want?

sdanseo wrote: »
    The government has activated the Emergency Broadcast System. What more evidence do you want?

I'm not disputing there is a storm heading our way??? I'm disputing how much of the country will see hurricane-force winds, which will only be known when the storm arrives.

Anyone else who wants to misinterpret my posts will have to wait until tomorrow for a reply, this is more draining than cycling into a storm force wind...or so I've heard...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I'm not disputing there is a storm heading our way??? I'm disputing how much of the country will see hurricane-force winds, which will only be known when the storm arrives.

Anyone else who wants to misinterpret my posts will have to wait until tomorrow for a reply, this is more draining than cycling into a storm force wind...or so I've heard...
    Winds will extend 240 km from the eye. That just about covers our little island.
    The whole country has a red warning.
    Even though it's an ex tropical storm, it's being pushed by the jet stream which will give us hurricane force winds
    But good luck with your cycle. It was interesting meeting you. Don't expect to see you again anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

sjb25 wrote: »
    I'm not a cyclist don't post here ever just seen this thread

Anybody who contemplating getting on a bicycle in a car tomorrow is a selfish idiot putting yourself and other road users lives at risk and also the emergency services such as paramedics when u fall crash of lives at risk and have to come help you.

Don't be silly tomorrow
    Another selfish idiot here, but nothing to do with cycling tomorrow.
    Weepsie wrote: »
    Anyone who does cycle tomorrow is simply a moron.
    Embarrassing stuff here. Same as any day you go out for a cycle, assess the conditions beforehand, and be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Embarrassing stuff here. Same as any day you go out for a cycle, assess the conditions beforehand, and be careful.

The authorities are asking us not to cycle, that's not the same as any day .

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

A fair few cycling around Dublin city centre at 7am. Not as many as normal, it’s still very mild here at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

Wimped out (1st time this year!) ... couldn't face the prospect of 15kms on the SS straight into a hurricane on the way home!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I think employers have passed on their responsibility here. One of my family has been told to stay at home. I was told "feel free to work from home tmw". Except I leave my laptop in work. Which I cycle to. Unless I drive, but my car is in my mother's. Which I cycle to. I could walk, but an hour + in storm weather is that much safer?

Thinking of going in now, grabbing laptop and cycling home before it worsens.

• Advertisement

👍 each to their own!

Advertisement