Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commute tomorrow on De bike

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

Lumen wrote: »
    Where did you get the information that "all counties will be red tomorrow"?

My source is this:

https://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/default.asp

The orange warning runs all the way through to Tuesday.

Sure pedal away there with yourself. You'll get what you deserve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I think employers have passed on their responsibility here. One of my family has been told to stay at home. I was told "feel free to work from home tmw". Except I leave my laptop in work. Which I cycle to. Unless I drive, but my car is in my mother's. Which I cycle to. I could walk, but an hour + in storm weather is that much safer?

Thinking of going in now, grabbing laptop and cycling home before it worsens.
    Or just stay at home!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Jobs OXO wrote: »
    Sure pedal away there with yourself. You'll get what you deserve

Congratulations on reading the thread just long enough to find something to get outraged about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Alanbt

I popped to the office to get laptop to work from home and colleague told me that she she saw Garda stopping people on bicycles.

It’s not going to be your average windy day later , people.

Just hope they don’t stop me on my way home!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I think employers have passed on their responsibility here. One of my family has been told to stay at home. I was told "feel free to work from home tmw".

I told my sole employee to work from home today. With VOIP and broadband works well enough, and if we lose phones and/or power were limited in what we can achieve either way. Fingers crossed we don't have power outages, mother in-law is a stair lift away from toilet and bedroom so looking at setting up the spare bed in ours. On the plus side, and extended turbo session with youngest may be on the cards for later with Triplets of Belleville on the playlist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Spotted 4 on bikes earlier around Blackrock - very calm out, no traffic on the M50. Also saw some buses running, though thought I'd heard Dub Bus was closing routes today too.

Almost like Ophelia is playing with us... lulling us into a false sense of security....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Grassey wrote: »
    very calm out, no traffic on the M50. Also saw some buses running, though thought I'd heard Dub Bus was closing routes today too.

Almost like Ophelia is playing with us... lulling us into a false sense of security....
    i would like to coin a phrase, i will call it 'the calm before the storm'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Roads were very empty this morning. Not much traffic at all and it looks like most of the city is staying at home.
    Left early in the car thinking the traffic would be heavy but it only took me 12 minutes to make the 9 km journey.
    Then checked my phone when i got to work and i had a message from my boss telling me to stay home....DOH.
    Now just waiting for an update.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Another selfish idiot here, but nothing to do with cycling tomorrow.

Embarrassing stuff here. Same as any day you go out for a cycle, assess the conditions beforehand, and be careful.

No, it's not embarrassing, not one bit. Gusts on a normal day with gales are sketchy enough.

Looking out the window doesn't tell me what the conditions are. Radio and TV are giving me all the assessment I need, if you want to ignore that so be it. It's not embarrassing though, your childish, htfu type attitude is however.

It may very well be fine, but why ignore clear warnings

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

It's like seeing a "wet paint" sign and you're the one guy who goes and sits on the park bench anyway....

Don't say you weren't warned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Spotted 5 on bikes on a short car hour by in northside Dublin earlier. Lots of leaves on the ground and paths

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

we're expecting 130km/h winds in dublin i believe; which would be nearly twice the energy of 100km/h winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

neris wrote: »
    Spotted 5 on bikes on a short car hour by in northside Dublin earlier. Lots of leaves on the ground and paths

There have been lots of leaves on the ground the past couple of weeks.

I would have no hesitation in getting on my bike now, there's little traffic and conditions are near perfect, obviously as it gets bad later it wouldn't be bright but no need to stay off it now

We were told not to come in today, I came in anyway thinking I'd get loads done, every other fecker had the same idea :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Fine right now in Dublin, but just not worth the risk of cycling. Fortunately my workplace is closed so it doesn't arise.

On a tangential note, the wind in Dublin right now appears to be coming from the east. Isn't the storm supposed to be approaching from the south west? Forgive my ignorance, but can the two winds collide or something? What happens then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

LennoxR wrote: »
    Fine right now in Dublin, but just not worth the risk of cycling. Fortunately my workplace is closed so it doesn't arise.

On a tangential note, the wind in Dublin right now appears to be coming from the east. Isn't the storm supposed to be approaching from the south west? Forgive my ignorance, but can the two winds collide or something? What happens then?

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/1000hPa/orthographic=-18.74,53.65,1087

its the rotation

• Registered Users Posts: 29,369 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

LennoxR wrote: »

Wind circulates anti-clockwise around a depression, so that's the wind to the north of the storm you're getting now. It'll go around to southerly later, and to westerly (and strongest) after that, probably by late afternoon/evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I'm glad they updated the warning to include motorcyclists in the people who shouldn't make journeys at all. It didn't make any sense to say no cycling and motorcyclists be careful.

(If I'd had to make a bike journey here in Dublin this morning, I'd have done it. You can see the weather charts, you can see where it's stormy already. I definitely wouldn't make any journeys after midday.)

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭matc66

I cycled, it was very peaceful. I'll cycle home if it's nice or get a lift that I've been offered. No hysteria needed. Weather is unpredictable so all options are open.

matc66 wrote: »
    Weather is unpredictable
    bar the fact that we've known since wednesday that ireland is headed for a potentially once in a generation/once in a century weather event. and that roads are closed in cork, and power lines down long before the worst was due to make landfall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I cycled, it was very peaceful. I'll cycle home if it's nice or get a lift that I've been offered. No hysteria needed. Weather is unpredictable so all options are open.

Don't forget to wear your magic high-viz from Minister Ross.

Safe cycling, it's your choice, I just hope no one else is put at risk as a result of your complacency.

Yeah, if you're in eastern counties, really, don't cycle after midday. What it's like now is nothing like what it's going to be like in a few hours. It really isn't a good idea.

(If you can go home now, it might be a good precaution, even if you're not cycling or on a motorbike.)

gusts of 148km/h have been recorded at fastnet.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Yeah, if you're in eastern counties, really, don't cycle after midday. What it's like now is nothing like what it's going to be like in a few hours. It really isn't a good idea.

(If you can go home now, it might be a good precaution, even if you're not cycling or on a motorbike.)

Yeah it's "relatively" ok now so to speak but shops are shutting or not opening here in drogheda and some buses are off. Dropped herself in to work in the car as she'd be an essential person but even in the wind we've now her tiny self would be lifted out of it on her bike :eek:

The wee one is off pre-school and wanted to go out the back just there on her little bike and was busy getting geared up with her helmet and coat etc. and I was like ok away ya go held the door open and once she got the feel of the wind coming in she changed her mind :D

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭matc66

Don't forget to wear your magic high-viz from Minister Ross.

Safe cycling, it's your choice, I just hope no one else is put at risk as a result of your complacency.

I'm based in North Dublin, it's not set in stone what type of winds we'll have. I can cycle if it's okay or walk if it's not. I don't see what's complacent or reckless about that.
    On the weather forum there is quite a lot of disagreement about whether Dublin should have gotten a status red wind warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Woke up this morning and all calm so cycled in with no issues. As storm was not due here till the afternoon I felt fine but I will not be cycling home.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,875 ✭✭✭billyhead

Day off work today folks as the office is closed. Be careful if commuting in tomorrow on the bike as I will be as there maybe a lot of fallen debris on the road which is a huge hazard and my commute involves country roads so fallen branches/trees will be a threat. Keep safe and batten down the hatches:D.

I'm based in North Dublin, it's not set in stone what type of winds we'll have. I can cycle if it's okay or walk if it's not. I don't see what's complacent or reckless about that.
    It's hard to judge what gusts are like though.
    On the weather forum there is quite a lot of disagreement about whether Dublin should have gotten a status red wind warning.
    Yeah, Met Éireann did mention the blanket red for the country was being cautious, but really, unless you went through the storm in 1961 and were pretty cool with that, best to be cautious.

you know the alternative to red is still bad?

the whole country was probably placed on red as they did not know for certain what exact path the storm would take - as evidenced by the belief now that sligo and donegal will be worse hit than expected.

• Advertisement

I'd like to give a shout-out to weather modelling. I used to work on the outskirts of that area, and it's really wonderful stuff.

Advertisement