Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commute tomorrow on De bike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

matc66 wrote: »
    I'm based in North Dublin, it's not set in stone what type of winds we'll have. I can cycle if it's okay or walk if it's not. I don't see what's complacent or reckless about that.
    On the weather forum there is quite a lot of disagreement about whether Dublin should have gotten a status red wind warning.

Are we following the same weather forum? Because it's split between people who know what they are talking about urging caution and people who have no clue saying "it'll be grand".

I was going to cycle this morning. Figured I'd be grand in a bit of wind. But then you think about all the things that you can't control: falling roof tiles, debris, trees. And then if you get into difficulty, you're diverting emergency resources that are probably already stretched thin because you decided that spreadsheets were more important (this is me I'm talking about, remember, I don't know what you do!)

For example, this guy:

I'm glad to see most people are taking this storm seriously but what I find deeply disturbing is the number of posters who are scoffing, saying its no big deal, or everyone is making a big drama over nothing. This is very dangerous. To be perfectly blunt unless these posters have direct personal experience of multiple severe temperate cyclones their opinions are not only completely worthless but highly irresponsible. If you have only lived in Ireland then unless you are over 60 you will not have experienced a storm like this one. As a kid back in the 1960's I heard all about the damage done by Debbie in '61. The storm of 1987 was fairly minor in comparison.

Looking at the models for Ireland for later on today I've seen numbers like those, and experienced them first hand, during various winter storms living on the West Coast of the US over the last few decades. At least five or six. So as a result I take this storm very very seriously. As would anyone who has seen the damage they can do first hand. These type of storms kill people. Its not just some generic winter gale. When you have both sustained and gust winds that are nudging Cat 1 territory you do not go outside unless you have an exceptionally good reason. This is doubly true in a country as unprepared for nationwide severe wind storms as Ireland is. There are a hell of a lot of potential life threatening missiles lying about. Not just trees but roof tiles / slates and all the general junk people should have secured yesterday. A roof tile traveling at 100kmh will kill you.

So best to treat today like a snowday. Or rather a blizzard day. Stay indoors and stay safe. And be prepared for the electricity to go out at some stage or other. Because it usually does during storms as serious as this one. If only to secure the grid infrastructure.

With a bit of luck, or rather a lot of luck, the storm will pass without any fatalities. Of course the scoffers will claim afterwards that this lack of casualties just "proves" that it was no big deal after all. Actually what it will prove is that enough people were made aware of the serious risks due to the storm and took steps to keep themselves safe.

Remember just how many people Debbie killed.

So everyone, stay inside and stay safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I can imagine that if all cautions are taken and the aftermath is relatively benign, there will be people scoffing at the alarmism, the way people did on January 2nd 2000, after the Y2K risk had passed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

et-elliott-fly-across-moon.jpg

:)
    Stay safe anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,875 ✭✭✭billyhead

Look folks. Anyone who values their life stay indoors. From the updates I am hearing via the news you would be crazy to venture out in the height of this. I am in Dublin and from 12pm until 5pm I wont contemplate heading out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I can imagine that if all cautions are taken and the aftermath is relatively benign, there will be people scoffing at the alarmism, the way people did on January 2nd 2000, after the Y2K risk had passed.
    fastnet has now recorded 91 knot winds - all time highest ever for ireland was 98kn at malin head, in (unsurprisingly) 1961.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

billyhead wrote: »
    Look folks. Anyone who values their life stay indoors. From the updates I am hearing via the news you would be crazy to venture out in the height of this. I am in Dublin and from 12pm until 5pm I wont contemplate heading out.
    i will be lobbying the RSA to classify anyone killed while cycling today, not as a cyclist but as an idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

tomasrojo wrote: »

You know, I could live with the scoffing. It's a nicer alternative to having a hurricane descend upon us. The wind has picked up quite a bit outside and there's that eerie light that you see before a storm.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I cycled, it was very peaceful. I'll cycle home if it's nice or get a lift that I've been offered. No hysteria needed. Weather is unpredictable so all options are open.

Stupid is as stupid does........

You know, I could live with the scoffing. It's a nicer alternative to having a hurricane descend upon us.
    Our latest met. celeb. concurs:
    https://twitter.com/JoannaDonnellyL/status/919717685981863936

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I cycled, it was very peaceful. I'll cycle home if it's nice or get a lift that I've been offered. No hysteria needed. Weather is unpredictable so all options are open.

Shure, why don't you cycle home as well? It won't be that bad surely that you'd need a lift!*

*For the sensible among us...this ^^ was laden with sarcasm!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

As it happened i got a call last night to tell me not to come in. 44 years old, I have been waiting for my first "snow day" since reading Calvin and Hobbes as a kid, it finally arrived...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Just make sure to slap on the hi-viz and you'll be grand :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

The authorities are asking us not to cycle, that's not the same as any day .
    The authorities also ask us to wear helmets and hi-vis.
    Jobs OXO wrote: »
    Sure pedal away there with yourself. You'll get what you deserve
    Nicest commute in a long time due to less traffic. Lovely morning in Dublin; no rain and a nice warm breeze.
    Weepsie wrote: »
    No, it's not embarrassing, not one bit. Gusts on a normal day with gales are sketchy enough.

Looking out the window doesn't tell me what the conditions are. Radio and TV are giving me all the assessment I need, if you want to ignore that so be it. It's not embarrassing though, your childish, htfu type attitude is however.

It may very well be fine, but why ignore clear warnings
    Calling someone a "moron" for cycling in the conditions described above i.e. calm and dry, is embarrassing. It's not about ignoring warnings; it's about assessing the risk. The weather may well get worse later on. But your post last night specifically referred to anyone cycling tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,875 ✭✭✭billyhead

RobFowl wrote: »
    Stupid is as stupid does........
    So somebody is stupid now for cycling in calm conditions...:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The authorities also ask us to wear helmets and hi-vis.

Nicest commute in a long time due to less traffic. Lovely morning in Dublin; no rain and a nice warm breeze.

Calling someone a "moron" for cycling in the conditions described above i.e. calm and dry, is embarrassing. It's not about ignoring warnings; it's about assessing the risk. The weather may well get worse later on. But your post last night specifically referred to anyone cycling tomorrow.

Yes in light of the severe conditions forecast. Ive used tomorrow as a general statement and Youre being willfully ignorant here knowing full well I mean when storm is hitting.

I also agreed it was fine earlier on, but again that's not what I was talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

Waiting for it to pick up so I can head out and work on my aero position......

or I might stay safely tucked away indoors!

Red and Green Luas lines now closed.

Time to get out of Dodge.

Yes in light of the severe conditions forecast. Ive used tomorrow as a general statement and Youre being willfully ignorant here knowing full well I mean when storm is hitting.

I also agreed it was fine earlier on, but again that's not what I was talking about.
    You might want to be more clear in future when referring to people as morons.
    Anyone who does cycle tomorrow is simply a moron.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Walked out to the shops. Saw plenty of people cycling home. Still ok for now. But not for long I suspect.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Heard you loud and clear. Safe journey home too.

Now either stop being wilfully ignorant, it was plainly obvious what was meant.

Take it to pm too if you wish as it's detailing the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

Might be a tad harsh to call you a moron but the only reason I can think of to cycle to work this am is that you want to cycle home in a westerly hurricane. Why would you do that. Do you hope to get a KOM on your commute with the comment slight tailwind and hope folk don't notice the date :).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭dubrov

Ahh a hurricane behind your back on the cycle home. That is the dream :)

Heard you loud and clear. Safe journey home too.

Now either stop being wilfully ignorant, it was plainly obvious what was meant.

Take it to pm too if you wish as it's detailing the thread
    Thanks. It really wasn't that obvious however. Work was closed as it happens so had a nice spin home. Wind getting stronger now already.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭kirving

It's not about ignoring warnings; it's about assessing the risk.

It's very difficult to asses the risk of being blown under a lorry by a sudden gust, but it's your call.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Our offices are closed! Got a text last night. Bizzare IMO.

That aside, Tescos and Supervalu are JAMMERS! You'd think it was armageddon. And this was before the 10:30 am Alcohol buying period! :P

T'was fairly gusty around the Firhouse region 30 mins ago too. Wouldn't recommend being on a bike tbh.

11:42

A spokesperson for Clogherhead Lifeboat has confirmed that two kitesurfers were rescued off the coast of Blackrock, Co Louth, at around 10.20am.

The Clogherhead lifeboat and Rescue helicoper 116 were deployed in the operation.

The two people who got into difficulty have been brought ashore.
    they should be charged with reckless endangerment.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

The shops were crazy busy this morning, you'd swear the end is nigh or something. And people were tetchy.
    Cycled there and back but won't be going out again.

I do like storms I have to say, but this is going to be something else.
    I can't help feeling a bit excited though :o I imagine this will be replaced by 'ugh fcuk this' when the power goes out.

I have never wished I had data on the phone more!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Advertisement