Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commute tomorrow on De bike

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

In case anyone still doubts the severity of this...a woman was killed this morning when a branch hit her car in Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Averagevegan

nee wrote: »
    The shops were crazy busy this morning, you'd swear the end is nigh or something. And people were tetchy.
    Cycled there and back but won't be going out again.

I do like storms I have to say, but this is going to be something else.
    I can't help feeling a bit excited though :o I imagine this will be replaced by 'ugh fcuk this' when the power goes out.

I have never wished I had data on the phone more!

Most supermarkets were closed, so Tescos was like a zoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

they should be charged with reckless endangerment.

They were discussing this on the RTÉ news and it turns out they were surfers, not kite surfers, and they didn't get into trouble. A boat was sent out to check when a member of the public expressed concern, but the surfers were ok.

I think the media are a bit keen on the Idiot Watch pieces. Not that going surfing when a hurricane is in the offing is exactly common sense.

Quite a drop in pressure when the storm passes over:

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/919903836793458689

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

ending-scene-point-break-30947465-852-480.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,079 ✭✭✭✭elperello

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Not that going surfing when a hurricane is in the offing is exactly common sense.

Understatement of the day so far!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just spotted a chap cycling down ballymun road, into the wind. he was wearing a builder's vest though, so he may be OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

...and served with a healthy bill with the description of goods:

The cost of stupidity : 0’000’s

The value of life : Priceless

The cost of saving your life: 2 x the price of stupidity

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

just spotted a chap cycling down ballymun road, into the wind. he was wearing a builder's vest though, so he may be OK.

Well if he's cycling into the wind he's likely not moving very fast so probably going to be fine in the event of an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

11:42

A spokesperson for Clogherhead Lifeboat has confirmed that two kitesurfers were rescued off the coast of Blackrock, Co Louth, at around 10.20am.

The Clogherhead lifeboat and Rescue helicoper 116 were deployed in the operation.

The two people who got into difficulty have been brought ashore.

I hope the winch crew tightened the hell out of that harness around their b*llox to teach them a lesson. F**king morons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

https://twitter.com/eliefadous/status/919911771007221760

It still seems mild in Dublin, admittedly I'm indoors, but it's probably not safe out there with random incidents like that.

There's worse to come. The winds on the south end of the storm are the strongest.

http://www.met.ie/news/display.asp?ID=458

Looks as if the worst winds are just hitting the south coast now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

brianomc wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/eliefadous/status/919911771007221760

It still seems mild in Dublin, admittedly I'm indoors, but it's probably not safe out there with random incidents like that.

Wow ... anyone walking by at that moment would have been toast!

jon1981 wrote: »
    I hope the winch crew tightened the hell out of that harness around their b*llox to teach them a lesson. F**king morons.

It's a bit weird that RTÉ had a guy on who gave a completely different account.

Anyway, I'll assume the initial reports were true after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

They've just announced all schools closed tomorrow -jumping the gun a little I guess but I wonder what the cycling situation will be tomorrow... I"m guessing the main concerns are surrounding fallen trees and ESB cables that will take time to clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,369 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I can easily see that the guy on Liveline's account (if that's who you mean) would be correct.

Punters on shore see surfer repeatedly falling off his board, thinks he's in trouble (how would they know any different?), calls it in. Heli and lifeboat wind up going out to investigate.

So even though there was no panic, emergency volunteers put in harm's way all the same.

And what if they did get a bang on their head while falling off their board? Who do they think is coming to help them? Yep, those volunteers again.

So it's incredibly irresponsible to be going out on a day like today - whether on boats, or surfboards, or bikes, with all the warnings and pleas not to.

Sorry if that's an unpopular opinion, but it's a very strongly held one in this house.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

What do we think about cycling to work tomorrow morning (in Dublin)?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the story is getting more interesting.

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsIE/status/919933002548948992

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Be careful of cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Lot's of debris after today. Might do it on the MTB.

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Punters on shore see surfer repeatedly falling off his board, thinks he's in trouble (how would they know any different?), calls it in. Heli and lifeboat wind up going out to investigate.

So even though there was no panic, emergency volunteers put in harm's way all the same.

Yes, it's more that the whoever does PR for some section of the emergency services keeps repeating that kite surfers got into difficulty, so I'm assuming that's true, and, yet, the other version seems more plausible. For a start, the whole thing took place off the coast of Louth at what seems to have been ten a.m., so it's hours before the storm arrived (from the point of view of Louth).

the story is getting more interesting.

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsIE/status/919933002548948992
    Sorry, that page doesn’t exist!

I'm getting paranoid now.

is that a known surfing spot? because kitesurfing usually seems like a hell of a lot more popular on the east coast than surfing. and would the waves not have been a little messy for surfing?

Now I'm hearing it was wind surfing.

that tweet was a sky news one claiming the two lads who were rescued (or not) were threatening to make an official complaint about being stopped from doing what they were rescued (or not) from.

This is like a sitcom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

It's beyond tiring watching all these captains of civic society try to outdo each other in their supposed shock at someone doing something other than sitting inside glued to RTE. You'd swear the guy was hand gliding off the roof of a house.

• Advertisement

I did enjoy the umbrella-and-roller-skatesskateboard routine.

Advertisement