Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commute tomorrow on De bike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

that tweet was a sky news one claiming the two lads who were rescued (or not) were threatening to make an official complaint about being stopped from doing what they were rescued (or not) from.

How Irish! Perhaps they will make claim stating the rescue services were negligent in rescuing them when they were just splashing about having a bit of fun during a red weather warning...?

Edit: this was meant to be in reply to another poster but I got he quoted post wrong. Not going back through this thread – life too short! Stay safe tomorrow. No LUAS innhe AM = Bummer!

What part of Nationwide Red Weather (Wind) warning needs to be explained? It’s really simple. Generally Red means danger, or while driving means stop /do not pass the light while lit.

The problem in this country is that people ignore ‘red’ routinely and seem not to heed warnings. Just because nothing happens each time they do it, does not mean ignoring the warning or signal is safe!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    What part of Nationwide Red Weather (Wind) warning needs to be explained? It’s really simple. Generally Red means danger, or while driving means stop /do not pass the light while lit.

The problem in this country is that people ignore ‘red’ routinely and seem not to heed warnings. Just because nothing happens each time they do it, does not mean ignoring the warning or signal is safe!
    That's fine, but it doesn't bear much relation to the point made in my post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

They've just announced all schools closed tomorrow -jumping the gun a little I guess but I wonder what the cycling situation will be tomorrow... I"m guessing the main concerns are surrounding fallen trees and ESB cables that will take time to clear.

I’m guessing because it’ll be late before the storm fully passes and damage can be safely assessed, and allows people to make other arrangements for childminding.

According to the forecast it’ll still be a bit windy but dry. I’ll be on the bike in the morning but taking it handy, even tho I’d love to benefit from the tailwind and beat my record :) Might leave a little later than usual so it’s bright and can see any debris clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

jon1981 wrote: »
    11:42

A spokesperson for Clogherhead Lifeboat has confirmed that two kitesurfers were rescued off the coast of Blackrock, Co Louth, at around 10.20am.

The Clogherhead lifeboat and Rescue helicoper 116 were deployed in the operation.

The two people who got into difficulty have been brought ashore.
    they should be charged with reckless endangerment.

I hope the winch crew tightened the hell out of that harness around their b*llox to teach them a lesson. F**king morons.
    FAKE NEWS, and it’s throughly awful that it is reported as being confirmed.

The fact that you are calling them F **king morons is also quite disappointing reflection on you and the media.

They were 4 windsurfers not kitesurfers , none were rescued , they sailed back to land themselves

The weather at the time wasn’t that bad , it was in the north of the country just as the high winds were reaching the south so some hours before it went north.

The water men are well experienced and know their limits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Weather should not be an issue tomorrow. It'll only be aftermath to worry about...

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Yes, it's more that the whoever does PR for some section of the emergency services keeps repeating that kite surfers got into difficulty, so I'm assuming that's true, and, yet, the other version seems more plausible. For a start, the whole thing took place off the coast of Louth at what seems to have been ten a.m., so it's hours before the storm arrived (from the point of view of Louth).

It’s not true, it was windsurfers and the weather was great at the time for windsurfing 430841.jpeg

That's fine, but it doesn't bear much relation to the point made in my post.

You are right and ooops. I meant to reply to some other post! Will edit your comment out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

ted1 wrote: »
    It’s not true, it was windsurfers and the weather was great at the time for windsurfing

Yes, the story about the kite surfing and the getting into difficulty because of the hurricane really didn't seem as plausible as the other account.

Here's something about the wind surfers (who are still being referred to as kite surfers) and the unconfirmed story of them making an official complaint:
    https://www.her.ie/news/kite-surfers-threaten-complaints-emergency-services-stopping-370113

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Silly me...I thought this thread was about commuting to work on the bike. :D

• Advertisement

Yes, the story about the kite surfing and the getting into difficulty because of the hurricane really didn't seem as plausible as the other account.

Here's something about the wind surfers (who are still being referred to as kite surfers) and the unconfirmed story of them making an official complaint:
    https://www.her.ie/news/kite-surfers-threaten-complaints-emergency-services-stopping-370113

I suspect the legal threat relates to a email sent to the Dundalk democrat asking them to correct their articles and social media to say windsurfers as opposed to kitesurfers. A stupid thing to do but in no way is it the way the article says

430853.png

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

So, all good for return to the bike in the morning? Stay well out from the kerb to avoid debris and watch out for fallen trees on any quiet or winding roads, I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Silly me...I thought this thread was about commuting to work on the bike. :D

Believe it or not this forum used to be about the sport of cycling.

Its since been hijacked by all sorts of hysterical warbling.

I blame feckless millennials tbh.

It hasn't been exclusively or even mostly about sport cycling, despite being categorised under "sport" by Boards. Not since I've been reading it anyway.

I guess maybe I helped to derail the thread a bit, but I was genuinely interested in the way a lot of people were outraged over something that maybe didn't happen as reported.

(You can certainly make the argument that they shouldn't have done it, and that it was entirely predictable that they'd attract the attention of the emergency services, but it's not as irresponsible or as foolish as going kite-surfing in the teeth of a hurricane, which is what everyone seems to think they were doing, and what I heard reported on the news and tweeted by an official channel.)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

So, all good for return to the bike in the morning? Stay well out from the kerb to avoid debris and watch out for fallen trees on any quiet or winding roads, I guess.

I'd say you're about right. With schools closed the traffic should be lighter which will help but I'll allow a few extra minutes just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Believe it or not this forum used to be about the sport of cycling.

Its since been hijacked by all sorts of hysterical warbling.

I blame feckless millennials tbh.
    The avocado toast eating bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

The avocado toast eating bastards.

Smashed avocado at that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

€10:50 for a smashed avocado sambo in Brother Hubbard's on Capel St. You can see the point the financial advisor was making.
    Closing the entire school network for tomorrow as well seems over the top. No damage in large swathes of the land. I like the phrase large swathes

Deedsie wrote: »
    I always thought there should be separate sports cycling/regular cycling sub forums. Should be a cycling section in the commuting and transport forum in my opinion.

Maybe a general pro cycling chit chat thread other ones for races are posted as needed during the pro season. Then maybe a section for sportives and competitive/club stuff???

If you go the route of separate forums you get less traffic though and folks miss stuff, some could be sorted with stickies, though not sure what the criac is with those these days I knew we were asked to cut back on the numbers last I was a mod on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Deedsie wrote: »
    I always thought there should be separate sports cycling/regular cycling sub forums. Should be a cycling section in the commuting and transport forum in my opinion.
    It should work, but it wouldn't. At least here there's less chance of the "they don't pay road tax and they all jump red lights I'd ban the lot of them and anyway they should be insured and have licences and number plates" shyte being tolerated.

• Advertisement

There was a vote on splitting the forum into sport and transport a few years back and there was a hefty vote to keep it the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

I guess maybe I helped to derail the thread a bit, but I was genuinely interested in the way a lot of people were outraged over something that maybe didn't happen as reported.

See also 'early morning coastal swim in calm pre-storm waters provokes OUTRAGE': http://www.thejournal.ie/happy-pear-storm-ophelia-swim-3648832-Oct2017/

*I don't read the Journal, you do so at your own risk, viewer discretion advised

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

What's cycling conditions like this morning? Still looks fairly gusty out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Saw loads out on bikes. Seems calm at work now. Regretting driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

Cycled in from Shankill to Ballsbridge - breezy but absolutely fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Grassey wrote: »
    Saw loads out on bikes. Seems calm at work now. Regretting driving.

Likewise regretting the bus, which I'm still on and still miles from work, just reinforces how god damn wonderful the bike is!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Cycled from Nutgrove to Bluebell. Plenty of broken branches and leaves on the road so just took it easy. Wind wasn't an issue but got a puncture from some piece of metal i think so had to walk the last KM or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

Very calm at 6:30 along the south circular in dublin. But from the Dolphins Barn crossroads going inbound the bus lane was covered in small bits that came off the trees.

Taking the lane resulted in my closest passes for a long time. Can’t believe how selfish they were based on the conditions, it’s not like I was crawling either. I was doing 30kmph pretty much keeping pace with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

There was a vote on splitting the forum into sport and transport a few years back and there was a hefty vote to keep it the way it is.
    I don't think it would work anyway for what it's worth. Maintenance/ Hiviz/ helmets/ close passes/ infrastructure etc are as relevant to both commuting and "sports" cyclists. Not sure how you'd define it anyway, lots of sportive riders would could cycling a, and their, sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Brought the kids to crèche in the trailer. Not a bother and we're on the coast in North Dublin city.

Plenty of debris but nothing dramatic. Roads covered in gunk so a little greasy. Same stuff was all over the car

Advertisement