Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commute tomorrow on De bike

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

Glad I cycled, the cars were crawling and busses passing stops full. Not the usual amount of cyclists out. Big impact is the luas but it does show that when a significant number of cyclists and public transport users choose to drive instead our roads can't cope.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

buffalo wrote: »
    See also 'early morning coastal swim in calm pre-storm waters provokes OUTRAGE': http://www.thejournal.ie/happy-pear-storm-ophelia-swim-3648832-Oct2017/

*I don't read the Journal, you do so at your own risk, viewer discretion advised

Yeah, the only I can think of in both cases is that there would be some unusual currents that preceded the storm-force winds by a few hours. Don't think that's the case. (And, of course, it's not surprising that the emergency services would head out, even just to warn you to head back in before too long.)

And kite surfers mentioned there again. Ryan Tubridy opining this morning about how the kite surfers who went out in a hurricane should pay.

If the other version of this story is true (wind surfers out a few hours before the storm started), it's a salutary lesson not to end up in the news yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Sorry, last post on that subject:
    http://www.thejournal.ie/louth-rescue-ophelia-3648957-Oct2017/

Seems to be largely correct now (four windsurfers, not two kite surfers, and not in a hurricane, but the headline still says they were "in difficulty", when the body of the article makes it clear they headed back to shore themselves.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Traffic was awful this morning, my route into work parallels the green luas line so i imagine that was the main reason. Buses & cars at a standstill.

Cycling was fine, though a fair amount of debris in cycle lane - mainly broken twigs. No puncture though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

flatface wrote: »
    Glad I cycled, the cars were crawling and busses passing stops full. Not the usual amount of cyclists out. Big impact is the luas but it does show that when a significant number of cyclists and public transport users choose to drive instead our roads can't cope.

Maybe we the Dept. of Transport should issue a "Code Red" once LUAS announce that they will not be running and advise everyone to cycle instead? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

tomasrojo wrote: »
    And kite surfers mentioned there again. Ryan Tubridy opining this morning about how the kite surfers who went out in a hurricane should pay.

That eejit Charlie Weston was also on Pat Kenny a while ago opining the same. The guys a waffler in his supposed area of expertise, why he's getting airtime to talk about his personal opinions now I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Ryan Tubridy opining this morning about how the kite surfers who went out in a hurricane should pay.
    I accidentally left the radio on past the 9am watershed and heard that.

He also said something like "I'm not the holier than thou type".

Yeah right tubs, sure you aren't.

He really does lack any sort of self-awareness. Cock.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Oh, on a more positive note, I salute the brave/stupid boardsie(s) who commuted by bicycle yesterday, according to Strava.

Idiot heroes to a man. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Quiet roads at 7am anyway, nice wind at my back and not much debris, just the odd branch here and there. Had one of those meet-every-red-light mornings though :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

lifted from the weather forum - i guess this is what they were worried about, if that transition had happened less than 24 hours later it would have been biblical:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105031398&postcount=2646

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

lifted from the weather forum - i guess this is what they were worried about, if that transition had happened less than 24 hours later it would have been biblical:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105031398&postcount=2646

There were times today when it felt biblical when I was out on the bike. Got home before the wind kicked up, but got a heavy drop of rain.

Advertisement