Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will D7/15 area improve over time?

Options
  • 15-10-2017 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭

Firstly, to be clear, I dont think the D7/D15 area is bad, I live there and am happy with where i live. Unfortunately there is a small minority of people who give the overall area a bad name. These people seem to live around Broombridge, finglas south & cabra.

Will all the new builds and developments in D7/15 significantly improve the area?

There are quite a few new housing developments going up in D15
    -castleknock cross
    -somerton mews
    -royal canal park
    -rathbourne park
    -camden
    -hamilton park
    -diswellstown manor
    -fairhaven
    -dawson place

Thats not a comprehensive list but gives an impression of the scale of new builds.
    The luas is also coming as far as broom bridge & a new train station in Royal Canal Park.

One train of thought is that more new builds & better transport will attract more working professionals and push prices up in the area, spurring on gentrification. Its a simplistic argument though and i'd like to hear peoples thoughts.
    Im also not arguing that gentrification is always a good thing, but it can increase value and thus increase the will to push out undesirable elements in an area.

To be clear, im not saying any of the areas mentioned are bad, they have lots of normal, honest people living in them, but they also seem to harbor slightly more people who are out to cause hassle.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Dublin 7 and Dublin 15 are separate areas..and even within themselves are separate again.

Castleknock is far removed from Ongar for starts so hard to speak about the whole area as 1 to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

D7 is close to the City and will eventually gentrify like other less desirable parts of the city have. IMO there is no guarantee the same will happen with D15. IMO it is has a high chance of actually getting worse. I can't see middle class Irish being too eager to live to areas with high concentration of renters and high concentration of non-nationals. The allure of D7 is that it is becoming more and more middle class Irish. Where the same is not happening at all in D15

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

D7 is close to the City and will eventually gentrify like other less desirable parts of the city have. IMO there is no guarantee the same will happen with D15. IMO it is has a high chance of actually getting worse. I can't see middle class Irish being too eager to live to areas with high concentration of renters and high concentration of non-nationals. The allure of D7 is that it is becoming more and more middle class Irish. Where the same is not happening at all in D15

unsure why non nationals would be a deterrent for Irish people.

I work in an office with over half the staff being non national. they all have mortgages, families and a social conscience , no different from many nationals.

for me, as an Irish person, the biggest problem are mostly other Irish without a social conscience, who leave the place filthy with litter, intimidate and steal from people out walking, drive dirt bikes across the parks and common areas and are just on the take all the time.

as people buy the new builds, infrastructure improves, does it matter if owners are national or non national?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Surely there is more renting going on in the city as opposed to the suburbs?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Gemma1982

Not sure what your point is. D7 and d15 cover a multitude of areas and every end of the spectrum. Your first example of new builds - Castleknock Cross are priced in the region of 850k! Far beyond the reaches of the average buyer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

those rules don't play north of the liffey though , stoneybatter, mountjoy square - those are just 2 areas that should have been gentrified years ago but are still pretty awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Dublin 15 has alot going for it. Hospital with new maternity hospital coming. Best shopping centre in ireland in my opinion. An enormous amount of employment. Close to city centre with good transport links. M50 bus network and train. Also low prices for housing

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ciaradx

those rules don't play north of the liffey though , stoneybatter, mountjoy square - those are just 2 areas that should have been gentrified years ago but are still pretty awful.

I wouldn't call Stoneybatter awful at all, it's a very popular area. I'm biased though because I live there 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Oh for God's sake I live in and grew up in d15. It's not a ghetto! I have a lovely home, a very good degree and Masters, a good job at triple average wage and a wonderful lifestyle where I eat and go out regularly. What are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

I've been living in Royal Canal Park for a couple of years now and think it's great. New luas and train station will only build on top of what is already a lovely area. I'm Irish and not renting not that I think it matters really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

amtc wrote: »
    Oh for God's sake I live in and grew up in d15. It's not a ghetto! I have a lovely home, a very good degree and Masters, a good job at triple average wage and a wonderful lifestyle where I eat and go out regularly. What are you talking about?

nobody said it is, quite the opposite in fact. there are however a few small pockets that being the overall area down, broombridge for example, which also has normal, decent people living in it but also a larger proportion of less socially conscious people.

original question is will all thr development eork, new homes, infrastructure etc push out or reduce this bad element.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

ciaradx wrote: »
    I wouldn't call Stoneybatter awful at all, it's a very popular area. I'm biased though because I live there ��

Mountjoy Square is far from awful too. Been living in the locality for twenty five years, and there’s been ample gentrification. The area still has lots of challenges, but it’s really not awful. Stoneybatter is a case study in gentrification!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Stoneybatter, awful, hah.

I've only been living there for 2 years but even in that time the change is quite noticeable. Four new shops have opened in Stoneybatter in the last couple of months alone and another shop has been renovated (with the flat above) and put up for rent. Over on Smithfield square there is a Boojum and a Chopped opening shortly... the square in general has come on a lot over the past few years.

Additionally there’s going to be a massive amount of construction because of DIT. There’s a fairly large student accommodation complex on Grangegorman that’s well under way. Apparently it’ll include a few shops, which is nice as it’ll save me a minute or two on the milk run :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

I see great advances and development in D7 in recent years and into the future. These include the increasing use and popularity of Smithfield Square, the development of Grangegorman DIT, a number of great bars in the area with decent clientele and vibe - Dice, Barbers, Oscars and many more, there is a bunch of good cafes and restaurants. Stoneybatter Street Fest was a roaring success during the summer.
    The new Luas will bring many benefits. Dalymount Park was purchased by DCC and will be redeveloped to provide a stadium and a community sports complex, there is plans to redevelop the retail units in Phisborough,
    D7 is on the doorstop to town, it is a mixed bag socially and this brings a vibe and energy to the place. Some of the architecture is really emblematic of Dublin city from North Circular Road, New Cabra Road, Shandon, Stoneybatter, Grangegorman.
    The presence of the 'legal district including the Four Court, Blackhall Place, The Law Society, the Children's Court and more bring an establishment and a range of quality buildings and professionals to the area on Mon- Friday basis.
    There is also an abundance of schools, easy access to Trinity, DCU, DIT and UCD. There is also an abundance of independent businesses; barbers, bike shops, gift shops, etc. Lets not forget the Phoenix Park is beside D7.
    The property prices can range from 800k to 200k so it is affordable and offers value for money. Dublin Bikes will have 5-10 new stations in D7 at the next phase.
    Thats all i can think of for now without getting into the history of the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

How is Stoneybatter or even Mountjoy Square awful?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

You need to take a look at the actual facts and statistics of who live in Dublin 15 at the moment before you go about your broad strokes of incorrectness. The CSO data often prove people wrong when they make statements such as yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    Firstly, to be clear, I dont think the D7/D15 area is bad, I live there and am happy with where i live. Unfortunately there is a small minority of people who give the overall area a bad name. These people seem to live around Broombridge, finglas south & cabra.

Will all the new builds and developments in D7/15 significantly improve the area?

It's a bit of a daft question. You are trying too make a sweeping generalisation about developments from private estates on a golf courses in the suburbs to city center deprived areas.

Literally from millionaire houses to council flats.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

My experience is estates improve when people get older .
    And when most of the houses are owned by the resident ,
    eg many estates are mostly bought from the council ,when you own your house you tend not to vandalise it or dump rubbish around the corner.
    You may in theory become a responsible home owner.
    Are you willing to wait 10-20 years for this to happen.
    dublin 15 is comprised of some council estates ,
    some private estates, apartments etc
    dublin 15 also has private estates and quiet middle class area.s .
    Most crime is carried out by teens or young people ,when the average age in an area is 30-40 crime or casual vandalism is greatly reduced.
    I don,t think the lowlifes in any area will dissappear suddenly overnight
    even if theres a few 100 new high spec houses built with 200k price tags.
    Or one might say gentrication happens in a certain area ,
    when the house prices rise so only middle class people can
    live there ,
    eg ordinary working class people cannot afford to buy a house there.
    I always thought stoneybatter was a nice area ,at least when i cycled through it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

stoneybatter awful??
    ah come one, it is hipster paradise

artisan gastro bar, artisan bakery, butchers, Italian delis, crepe places, fancy gift and flower shops.

trendy coffee shops :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    ....Will all the new builds and developments in D7/15 significantly improve the area?

There are quite a few new housing developments going up in D15....

I'm not sure what improvement you're hoping for ....

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/overseas-property/property-62188682.html
    http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/castleknock/diswellstown-house-castleknock-dublin-1564373/
    http://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-sale/castleknock/19-hawthorn-house-castleknock-dublin-1512004/
    https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/somerton-mews-castleknock-golf-course-castleknock-dublin-15/4107071

It sounds like you don't really know the area.

For example Stoneybatter is nothing like it used to be. Every area has its bad areas. The general standard is improving all over the city, (apart from the homeless crisis).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

D7/D15 is not one homogeneous area. It is a vast series of different districts. It runs from the North-West Liffey quays through Victorian suburbs to modern suburbs. many of the different district have little or nothing in common other than sharing a ost code or a bus route through them. Developments around the NCR will have no impact on the other side of the M50. The inner city area near the quays is going to be bounded by 2 Luas lines. This is going to make it a magnet for investment. It is going to be a highly convenient area to live in, within walking distance of the main shopping district and a short luas trip of the central business districts as well as luas access to large sections of the city. The area will be radically different in 15 years time. Phibsboro will see the multiple unit houses revert to family use as has been happening on the Southside for years. It will smarten up and begin to attract high class retailers.

The only bad thing i see about stoneybatter is the traffic on the main road is heavy from 7am til 7pm every day .And it may be difficult to find a parking
    space ,like most parts of the city.If you think stoneybatter is bad ,
    well god help you if you go to certain area,s on a saturday night after closing time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

D15 will have from december more frequent trains to connect with luas at broom bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

Fantastic articles above, thanks for linking.

Another improvement for D7 is that Phibsborough Centre has been approved for redevelopment. It's been in the pipeline for some time and I'm glad its approved.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/phibsborough-shopping-centre-redevelopment-approved-1.3278249

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

Here's another Irish Times article about how the Luas will change the Cabra and Phibsborough areas. Namely by increasing house prices and improvements in retail.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/next-stop-gentrification-as-luas-reaches-cabra-and-phibsborough-1.3314122

Ummm...
    ......there was no increase to house prices on the red line, running to Tallaght....

I think you'd have to seperate the effect of the housing crisis from the effect of the luas.

It will have an effect. But I think you'd have to be very selective where you buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Staph wrote: »
    Here's another Irish Times article about how the Luas will change the Cabra and Phibsborough areas. Namely by increasing house prices and improvements in retail.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/next-stop-gentrification-as-luas-reaches-cabra-and-phibsborough-1.3314122

it would take a miracle to turn the current broombridge station (a no go area at almost any time of the day) into something safe or viable. Why they decided to terminate the luas there is beyond me.

Theres an article in sunday times ,move , property section,
    Stoneybatter is given as an example as a gentrified area ,where it would be a good place to buy before prices increase rapidly .
    its a simply fact where luas tracks are laid down prices increase .who needs a car when theres a luas stop within walking distance.
    Dublin 15 is composed of private estates , council estates , with many industrial estates nearby ,
    theres loads of quiet private estates if you look around.
    roselawn is one good area .
    castleknock is really middle class ,located in dublin 15 .
    Theres only private estates in castleknock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

I think this has been said before but there's a 24 hour manned luas depot there now...your miracle has occurred.

Advertisement