Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So I bought a bike this weekend.....

Options
  • 15-10-2017 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

From a large well known chain store and as I hit about kilometre 10 the handlebars slid out of the mount and I narrowly avoided quite the mishap after loosing control.

I bought this to upgrade my old trusty hybrid I got on the bike to work and went for an in store build so assumed it was done well.

I've gone to town on it with a hex key to try and tighten things and have reffited the handlebars, is there anything else I should pay particular attention to tightening/ checking??

Many thanks !!!

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Gear and particularly brake cables. Check wheels and saddle are secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

From a large well known chain store and as I hit about kilometre 10 the handlebars slid out of the mount and I narrowly avoided quite the mishap after loosing control.

I bought this to upgrade my old trusty hybrid I got on the bike to work and went for an in store build so assumed it was done well.

I've gone to town on it with a hex key to try and tighten things and have reffited the handlebars, is there anything else I should pay particular attention to tightening/ checking??

Many thanks !!!

I bought last year from probably the same chain. I insisted on getting my bike in a box and built it myself. If it's who I think you mean, they're notorious for doing things like that.
    If you're not sure, get a trusted local bike shop to check it over. Don't take chances.

Well wear with the new bike.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

to be honest, i'd bring it back and demand a full refund.

The 22 point safety check they do is great isn't it. Glad you're ok OP as others suggested breaks and I'd check for anything untoward in the cranks and pedals aswell, movement etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Bring it back with your PDI Form. The next person who suffers at the hands of shoddy workmanship may not be so lucky to come away unscathed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Make sure you tell the guys in the shop that you bought from that they left the bars loose - they need to know how many mistakes they're making.

Also, ask them whether they've heard of the M-check? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Type 17 wrote: »
    Make sure you tell the guys in the shop that you bought from that they left the bars loose - they need to know how many mistakes they're making.

Also, ask them whether they've heard of the M-check? :pac:

Sent them an email. They really couldn't give less of a S.H.I.....T... . Smaller independent bike shops from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Bring it back and demand a refund and never buy another thing from them is avoidable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Sent them an email. They really couldn't give less of a S.H.I.....T... . Smaller independent bike shops from now on.

Bring it back. Tell them you want a full check carried out on it along with a certificate stating it’s been done. Tell them you are not accepting the bike back without a letter signed by the manager/supervisor stating it’s been checked and if they’re not willing to do that ask for a full refund. Explain that they supplied the bike in a dangerous condition and you do not trust their mechanics. I’d kick up a massive stink in the shop until they accept they are at fault and remedy the situation. Do not accept anything less.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Did you buy a bike in a car accessory shop? Fairly well documented that they haven't a clue about assembling bikes correctly in a large number of these stores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It really seems to depend on which store you go to, and probably who in that store builds it.

fwiw I've got a few bikes from there for the children (and n+1 most likely will be a mtb for me from there too), and there hasn't been any issues. I do tend to do an M check in store before leaving though - worth checking for any damage as well as build quality.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Is there some prohibition on naming the shop? I don’t see why there should be.

Was it Halfords?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭MeWantBroadband

Brian? wrote: »
    Was it Halfords?

Doesn't matter if it wasn't - the way big businesses like that work means the kids who are responsible for the safety of your bike are as motivated as the kids who cook your Big Mac. People need to know that.

OP needs to write / email corporate and make sure that they get an acknowledgment to be sure it wasn't lost in the system.

You lived, and were unhurt. Try and prevent someone else being exposed to the same risk if you can reasonably do something.

Advertisement