Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia possible power cuts

Options
  • 15-10-2017 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭

Hi anyone ever been through power cuts with their tanks can give some advice?
    Supposedly it's highly likely as we're looking at the worst storm in 50 years. I have 3 tanks am only a beginner really so clueless.
    Any advice appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭Nick Park

In the event of a power cut, cover your tanks with blankets to preserve heat and slow down the rate of cooling. If it lasts longer than a few hours then consider heating some dechlorinated water on a gas ring.

You want to keep your water oxygenated, stirring the surface will help.

The bigger problem, however, is your filters. If water stops flowing through the filters for more than a few hours then the good bacteria can die and all kinds of crap stews in the filters. Then, when they turn on again, that spews out into your tanks. So, if you're looking at a long outage, turn the filters off and take the media out, rinse it in tank water and store in more tank water.

It might be a good idea to do a water change before the storm hits, and don't feed your fish while the power is off.

Having said all that, I've arranged to borrow a generator just in case. My friend has a young baby, but I managed to convince him that his baby can cope better without electricity than my fish can!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

Nick Park wrote: »
    In the event of a power cut, cover your tanks with blankets to preserve heat and slow down the rate of cooling. If it lasts longer than a few hours then consider heating some dechlorinated water on a gas ring.

You want to keep your water oxygenated, stirring the surface will help.

The bigger problem, however, is your filters. If water stops flowing through the filters for more than a few hours then the good bacteria can die and all kinds of crap stews in the filters. Then, when they turn on again, that spews out into your tanks. So, if you're looking at a long outage, turn the filters off and take the media out, rinse it in tank water and store in more tank water.

It might be a good idea to do a water change before the storm hits, and don't feed your fish while the power is off.

Having said all that, I've arranged to borrow a generator just in case. My friend has a young baby, but I managed to convince him that his baby can cope better without electricity than my fish can!

So far so good. Water changes done. Full tank heated by the emersion. Duvets and blankets ready to go. Ready to take out the filters, kicking myself I didn't go get some ammolock. I dont know any new parents i could steal a generator off but hopefully none of the above will be needed 😅

So how did it go? Did you lose power?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Lucky we didn't lose power so didn't have to do anything. Must get an battery powered air pump been meaning to for a long time. We've had a few outages in last year never more than a few hours though. I was planning on taking my filter media out of my external filter and just keeping it wet. I'd seen before suggestion to put the filters into to tank with airstone under to keep a flow through them. Seems like a better option if with out power for several hours.

Only have a 50L tank at minute so could keep it going for a few days I reckon heating water on gas. Want to move to a bigger set up though so need a better back up option and we do live out in the countryside. Portable Generator is probably handiest option but was wondering about battery options. Probably too expensive for something capable of running tank for a few days and keeping phones charged. Tesla powerwall is definitely over budget! As costs come down though solar panels and battery back up may be an option.

Ryath wrote: »
    Lucky we didn't lose power so didn't have to do anything. Must get an battery powered air pump been meaning to for a long time. We've had a few outages in last year never more than a few hours though. I was planning on taking my filter media out of my external filter and just keeping it wet. I'd seen before suggestion to put the filters into to tank with airstone under to keep a flow through them. Seems like a better option if with out power for several hours.

Only have a 50L tank at minute so could keep it going for a few days I reckon heating water on gas. Want to move to a bigger set up though so need a better back up option and we do live out in the countryside. Portable Generator is probably handiest option but was wondering about battery options. Probably too expensive for something capable of running tank for a few days and keeping phones charged. Tesla powerwall is definitely over budget! As costs come down though solar panels and battery back up may be an option.

We didn't lose power this time around. I'm thinking of investing in a small generator. Some fish can live 15 or 20 years. It would be heartbreaking to spend years raising them and then to see them all wiped out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

Sorry for delay replying. I didn't lose power in the end thankfully! It was very stressful though to think of the catastrophe that could unfold without some of the back ups described. Will be investing to he prepared for future weather events!

Advertisement