Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girls name : Daire / Dara

Options
  • 15-10-2017 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

What do you think of Daire as girls name ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AttentionBebe

I love it. Prefer the spelling Daire for a girl

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Good friend of mine in school had that name. It works well in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Don’t like it, sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭pajosjunkbox

I love it aswell. Thinking of naming our new baby girl Daire. Not to worry Colm. We still share our love for 1.8 civics !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I adore the name Dara, for a boy or a girl. Unfortunately it’s already been taken in our family, by my 5 year old (male) cousin. Gutted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

It's on our list for a girl as well. We'd spell it Dara. I don't like it as much for a boy for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Love it!! Our first daughters name rhymes with it though so a no go for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I love it, both spellings! For some reason I think Daire feels/seems more feminine. Are there different translations/meanings depending on spelling?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

I thought Dara was a boy's name. Haven't heard of Daire

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Daire is nice.

If I see it spelled 'Dara', I automatically assume its a boy, although I'm aware there are girls who spell it that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,664 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I know of a guy called Daire (pronounced Darragh).

Never saw a girl with the name.

Know of a girl called Dara ... It's actually a nice name in my opinion but she even jokes about it herself that it's a guy's name.

A girl called Dara that I know was so named because she was the second child, i.e. Dara is Irish for "second". I don't like that (possibly coz I'm a second-born myself!)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AttentionBebe

A girl called Dara that I know was so named because she was the second child, i.e. Dara is Irish for "second". I don't like that (possibly coz I'm a second-born myself!)

That's part of the reason that I'm considering it for my second! What's wrong with being second?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

I know both boys and girls called Dara and Daire, I think it suits both genders equally.

That's part of the reason that I'm considering it for my second! What's wrong with being second?

Ah I dunno, maybe it's silly but I'd rather have a name in it's own right, if you know what I mean, rather than being named "in relation to" my sibling.

Like, it would feel like the eldest had gotten her own unique special name, and then Dara comes along, "Oh here's another one, lets just call her Little Sister."

Bitter second sibling speaking. :o Maybe others wouldn't feel that way, in fact probably not!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭pajosjunkbox

The deal is sealed. We named our little girl Daire after all. She is not the 2nd born... We just liked the name.
    I was a little apprehensive at first as it is most common as a boys name (Darragh), but after a few days we love it.
    Interestingly quite a few of our parents generation are not overly enthusiastic about it ! You can tell by their reaction. Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Advertisement