Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ophelia and her impact on Fingal

Options
  • 15-10-2017 10:11pm
    Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

All schools closed tomorrow (the 16th)

All hospital outpatient procedures cancelled

Latest warning on FingalCoCo website
    Severe Weather Warning : Code Level Red Ex-Hurricane Ophelia is forecast to track directly over Ireland during daytime Monday. Violent and destructive gusts are forecast with all areas at risk and in particular the southwest and south in the morning, and eastern counties in the afternoon. Also heavy rain and storm surges along some coasts will result in flooding. There is potential risk to lives. Valid from 06:01 Monday 16-October-2017 until 23:59 Monday 16-October-2017

Looks like it won't be too bad during the morning but the weather will deteriorate significantly during the afternoon, and hopefully the worst will be over by late Monday

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Stay safe, everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I'm not too sure whether to make the trip from Balbriggan to Park West. It doesn't seem like it's going to impact Dublin all that much. Anyone heading towards the city as usual tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭Alkers

I'm not too sure whether to make the trip from Balbriggan to Park West. It doesn't seem like it's going to impact Dublin all that much. Anyone heading towards the city as usual tomorrow?

I think the route it will take is uncertain which is why they've upgraded the whole country to status red. I suspect you'll be fine getting to work but it might be a different story getting up. Check news in the morning and monitor from then.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Yes - I'm thinking of heading towards Dublin for work in the morning but probably head home around lunchtime. I've seen varying estimates of when it will hit, but Sky News has just said it's expecting to make landfall in the South West until around 11am (obviously it's going to start building before that though). A bit strange as we're definitely feeling the calm before the storm presently.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I took the car to work rather than cycling in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

I took the car to work rather than cycling in.

:eek::eek:

your going soft

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Well I made it in this morning. Only one other person bothered coming in but she has no excuse really as she's a 10 minute walk away! Was enjoying the calm and getting lots done but then she received a text from the owner telling us to vamoose by 11am. Boo.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I went in to the office for 7am, boss arrived at 7:30 & told me to head home. Panic-bought a breakfast roll in SuperValu in Skerries (it was like Christmas Eve!) & now working from home.

With no Bus Eireann, Dublin Bus or Balbriggan 191X services this afternoon, & likely problems with the trains - I'm glad I'm home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I went in to the office for 7am, boss arrived at 7:30 & told me to head home. Panic-bought a breakfast roll in SuperValu in Skerries (it was like Christmas Eve!) & now working from home.

With no Bus Eireann, Dublin Bus or Balbriggan 191X services this afternoon, & likely problems with the trains - I'm glad I'm home.
    • DART and commuter trains to and from Connolly are stopping by 2pm today.
    • Bus Eireann stopping services until about 7pm.

Stay safe.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Left work at 11. Phone and internet went down in Milverton 15 mins ago. Still have power and mobile signal. And this is just the start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

It is a bit hurricane-y here now. One slate down off the roof so far. All utilities ok so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

6 tiles here and rising slowly. Please stop.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Balrothery very blowy but nothing special, hope this is as bad as it gets but seems to be progressing...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

We're actually getting the worst of it, the eye off the west is the weakest, the east side of the storm the strongest. Currently gusts of 113km in Naul, due to continue for the next hour or two. Honestly was expecting worse. Garden is cleaned and skip bag filled so thats a bonus!

Great site to follow, can hit the my location button beside the search bar.

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=53.60;-6.23;7&l=gust

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Not too bad here, and still hearing the odd plane. Very strong noisy winds but not quite hurricane-y. The are reports of a tree blocking the road between Knocksedan and Swords Manor.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'm in Swords so far it's been quiet but supposed to worsen in the next hour

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭shooter69

Was driving into skerries earlier,about 11am , and saw a sight that I couldn’t quite believe ...a guy with a leaf blower blowing leaves off his driveway 😂😂

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

shooter69 wrote: »
    Was driving into skerries earlier,about 11am , and saw a sight that I couldn’t quite believe ...a guy with a leaf blower blowing leaves off his driveway ����

Stupid is as stupid does...

Had to go to work this am though management decided to close at 1200 (thank you !). Saw no cyclists between Balrothery and Swords but even then lots of leaves and branches down.

Looks like most if not nearly everyone took heed of the advice.

Have great respect for the emergency services, hospitals, nursing homes etc and others like shops who opened and made sure none of us are short of food and supplies at least. My heart goes out to those homeless especially today though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Major drama here outside Lusk.....My Green Bin was blown over

Seriously though we dodged a bullet here in Fingal.

3 fatalities nationwide which is dreadful, hope for no more.

Went for a quick pint in Top Shop, place is jammed, no one went to work today.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Some fella out surfing in Portmarnock.

Not much else to report around this neck of the woods, no trees down that I have seen. We got off lightly I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I'm in Baldoyle.

It's been fine all day, a bit of strong wind but nothing major.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Not much else to report around this neck of the woods, no trees down that I have seen.

Fingal have a list of about 60 trees that were reported to them:> https://twitter.com/Fingalcoco/status/919979334466768896

DMRsROEWsAAhgK3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Where can we collect the firewood??

Now the wind direction has changed the wind seems worse here than it did all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Homer

martinn123 wrote: »
    Where can we collect the firewood??

Every cloud and all that :P

Advertisement