Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red skin and funny texture

Options
  • 16-10-2017 3:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭

Ive been having problems with my skin the last few months, ive always had a tendency to get rosacea and red patches but lately my skin is bright red, foundation doesnt cover it, ive also been having problems with foundation in that in the last few months its not setting or sinking in, it just sort of sits on top and the slightest touch wipes it off revealing a patch of bright red skin underneath. I cant seem to wear full coverage foundation anymore like double wear as its not setting and it goes a really weird texture all over my face.
    Ive also been getting loads of breakouts all over my face for months, ive never had acne prone skin, even as a teenager.
    Tonight my face is really red and itchy all over, its so irritated. I havnt been using or doing anything different. Any ideas what could help to calm my skin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭TheIronyMaiden

What skin care do you use currently? I would incorporate a gentle acid toner if you don't use one already (Pixi Glow Tonic is my favourite). This will help with the texture of your skin and allow any subsequent products you use to be absorbed properly - First Aid Beauty do a really calming moisturiser, I think it's called ultra repair cream, could be worth a look?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

What skin care do you use currently? I would incorporate a gentle acid toner if you don't use one already (Pixi Glow Tonic is my favourite). This will help with the texture of your skin and allow any subsequent products you use to be absorbed properly - First Aid Beauty do a really calming moisturiser, I think it's called ultra repair cream, could be worth a look?

Thanks ill try these out. I use coconut oil to remove makeup, wash my face with either a neutrogena scrub or soap and Glory vitamin C facewash then moisturize with nuetrogena or Astral cream, I regularly use different facemasks too but none of them have ever given me any problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Thanks ill try these out. I use coconut oil to remove makeup, wash my face with either a neutrogena scrub or soap and Glory vitamin C facewash then moisturize with nuetrogena or Astral cream, I regularly use different facemasks too but none of them have ever given me any problems.

Coconut oil is comodogenic which means it can clog pores and cause acne in some people.
    Are you using a scrub every day? Anything with bits in should be used at most once a week as it can create micro tears and damage the surface of your skin. Personally I wouldn't even use a physical scrub and would change to a chemical one like the pixi mentioned above, much less chance of skin damage.

Perhaps ditch the coconut oil and try a gentle make up remover like trilogy or clinique and then a gel cleanser to wash your skin followed by the pixi toner twice a week to start and a very good moisturiser.

The face masks should be ones for your skin type and maybe just the same one for now, even if they haven't caused you problems before something has changed so go back to basics for a while and build up from there.

Coconut oil is comodogenic which means it can clog pores and cause acne in some people.
    Are you using a scrub every day? Anything with bits in should be used at most once a week as it can create micro tears and damage the surface of your skin. Personally I wouldn't even use a physical scrub and would change to a chemical one like the pixi mentioned above, much less chance of skin damage.

Perhaps ditch the coconut oil and try a gentle make up remover like trilogy or clinique and then a gel cleanser to wash your skin followed by the pixi toner twice a week to start and a very good moisturiser.

The face masks should be ones for your skin type and maybe just the same one for now, even if they haven't caused you problems before something has changed so go back to basics for a while and build up from there.

Thanks hun, ive been using coconut oil for years with no problems, I dont use a scrub everyday, only once or twice every week or two weeks. I used Liz Earl hot cloth cleanser about 8 months ago and took a really bad reaction to it, my skin has never been the same since, maybe it affected the PH balance or something? youre right something has changed. Ill take your advice. x

Thanks hun, ive been using coconut oil for years with no problems, I dont use a scrub everyday, only once or twice every week or two weeks. I used Liz Earl hot cloth cleanser about 8 months ago and took a really bad reaction to it, my skin has never been the same since, maybe it affected the PH balance or something? youre right something has changed. Ill take your advice. x

It could be something like that, I'm not an expert by any means but skin is so fickle and something is angering it by the sounds of things!

Have you ever looked at the trilogy rosehip oil range? I think you can get a set of small trial size items for around €20 on cloud 10. Rosehip oil is really good for red skin and so soothing too.

• Advertisement

It could be something like that, I'm not an expert by any means but skin is so fickle and something is angering it by the sounds of things!

Have you ever looked at the trilogy rosehip oil range? I think you can get a set of small trial size items for around €20 on cloud 10. Rosehip oil is really good for red skin and so soothing too.

My local chemist sells trilogy rosehip oil, its like 30 something euro though :eek: ive been thinking about saving for it. Now that youve mentioned it i'll give it a go, I had heard its great but didnt know what sort of skin problems it was for....

I slathered on loads of Palmers cocoa butter last night, havnt used it in ages. The relief was something else. Skin feels mostly normal again today.

My local chemist sells trilogy rosehip oil, its like 30 something euro though :eek: ive been thinking about saving for it. Now that youve mentioned it i'll give it a go, I had heard its great but didnt know what sort of skin problems it was for....

I slathered on loads of Palmers cocoa butter last night, havnt used it in ages. The relief was something else. Skin feels mostly normal again today.

https://www.cloud10beauty.com/brands/trilogy/trilogy-rosehip-essentials-botanical-beauties-gift-set.html

This is reasonable and has three products for you to try in sample sizes.

Rosehip oil is for all skin types really, it soothes any kind of discomfort and really helps with redness, I find it a godsend if my skin is acting up.
    Trilogy is organic and exceptionally good and while it's expensive it lasts forever, I think my current bottle has lasted about 8 months! I also use the make up remover, cleanser and the mud mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Op do NOT use a glycolic toner on your already irritated skin. My days.
    I get spells where my skin is crazy and reacts to whatever I'm using for absolutely no reason. I'm allergy prone and some days my skin decides it doesn't like a certain product and then I'm paying for that for the week. What I find is it's best during those times to just strip everything back to basics and use simple products. La Roche Posay do great skincare and have a range specifically for rosacea prone skin so you should try some of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

anna080 wrote: »
    Op do NOT use a glycolic toner on your already irritated skin. My days.
    I get spells where my skin is crazy and reacts to whatever I'm using for absolutely no reason. I'm allergy prone and some days my skin decides it doesn't like a certain product and then I'm paying for that for the week. What I find is it's best during those times to just strip everything back to basics and use simple products. La Roche Posay do great skincare and have a range specifically for rosacea prone skin so you should try some of those.

This. You need to try remove ingredients which could be causing your skin to react so much. LRP is a good bet I have found in the past. Kiehls also do products which can help combat redness. Keep your regime as simple as possible, and stop exfoliating for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

My skin went crazy when I got pregnant, was very red, sensitive and a rash covering my face and neck. I used LRP and within a week it was nearly cleared.

There are the two I used along with The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid

https://www.lookfantastic.com/la-roche-posay-effaclar-h-hydrating-cleansing-cream-200ml/11227837.html

http://www.boots.ie/la-roche-posay-effaclar-duo-40ml-10169551

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for your replies, I generally stay away from anything harsh and chemically as they make my skin go crazy, I rarely exfoliate, only once every week or two if my skin needs it and only wash my face with soap and glory face wash's as I can trust them not to make my skin react. I bought the Trilogy rosehip oil on @Notjustsweet's recommendation, ive only been using it two days and my skin actually looks amazing after using it, my only worry is I bought the antioxidant one and checked reviews online when I got home, allot of people take reactions to it, cystic spots and boils..Eeek! Im going to give it ago anyway and if I notice any negative reactions ill stop using it. Ive also gone back to palmers cocoa butter to moisturise, I forgot how amazing it is my skin loves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Thestones

I had a case of severe Rosacea some years back, literally came out of nowhere and I didn't know what it was at the time, it was exactly as you describe, the texture of the skin, maybe you normally have a minor case of it?... has your doctor ever prescribed a cream or gel for it? I got a gel(can't remember the name) and it cleared it up, it never came back. Fingers crossed for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

La roche posay range is just brilliant for problem skin. If you go into your local pharmacy that stocks it and tell them what's going on with your skin, they can tell you what may suit. And most are happy to give samples.
    I personally find the cistoplast balm a godsend when my skin fares up.

Advertisement