Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issues with technical thread

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Liffey4A

If there's interest we could setup a Band.us group for technical discussion over the coming months.
    It's a free app where you can have threaded discussions and assign moderators etc.
    It's well fit to handle the load as it is used by some other big groups.
    I can't add any weather related technical knowledge but if others did it could work well

It's unfortunate that we weren't able to discuss the model as the storm unfolded, same will probably happen with next weather event 😒

• Registered Users Posts: 6,112 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

murpho999 wrote: »
    Do people know they can increase the number of posts per page in their control panel. It's on page 60 for me.
    Stuck on page 170 for me?

190 for me all day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

It’s getting stuck on every page for me. I know boards has issues over 10k posts in a thread and even though we haven’t hit that could new threads be created, would it help?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Liffey4A wrote: »
    If there's interest we could setup a Band.us group for technical discussion over the coming months.
    It's a free app where you can have threaded discussions and assign moderators etc.
    It's well fit to handle the load as it is used by some other big groups.
    I can't add any weather related technical knowledge but if others did it could work well

It's unfortunate that we weren't able to discuss the model as the storm unfolded, same will probably happen with next weather event ��

I feel like this is a new problem. During the snows in 2012 this place was hopping but there werent these problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,649 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

There's obviously something corrupted in the database with all the moved posts - the Technical thread thinks there are more posts in it than actually still are (because they got moved out), and so the page count is basing itself on that incorrect number of posts. If you're unable to get to a last page in a thread, it probably doesn't exist for that reason.

Here's a group setup anyways. You can change profile name, pic etc.

Liffey4A invites you to the [Weather Watch Ireland] group on BAND, the app used to efficiently manage groups and communities. Your group is waiting for you!
    http://band.us/n/ada2v4Q6e1p1Q
    (You can also search with the group name)

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Hi folks, can you try clearing your cache or try alternative browsers and/or devices please? As you can imagine, the servers and database have been taking a battering today with so many active users.

Hi folks, can you try clearing your cache or try alternative browsers and/or devices please? As you can imagine, the servers and database have been taking a battering today with so many active users.

Tried cache plus a different device, still the same

MJohnston wrote: »
    There's obviously something corrupted in the database with all the moved posts - the Technical thread thinks there are more posts in it than actually still are (because they got moved out), and so the page count is basing itself on that incorrect number of posts. If you're unable to get to a last page in a thread, it probably doesn't exist for that reason.

I think in retrospect it might have been an idea to make the two thread titles look less similar.
    I guess hindsight is 50/50.
    Maybe a Mark 2 thread is in order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,649 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

d'Oracle wrote: »
    I think in retrospect it might have been an idea to make the two thread titles look less similar.
    I guess hindsight is 50/50.
    Maybe a Mark 2 thread is in order.

I think the problem is that the Weather thread became hugely popular before an After Hours thread popped up, so it became the thread. Next event, someone setup an AH thread first ;)

Its not a client side issue.
    Requests to subsequent pages are getting 302 redirects to the page you are on.
    Consistent behavior across browsers, and generally redirects aren't cached.

MJohnston wrote: »
    I think the problem is that the Weather thread became hugely popular before an After Hours thread popped up, so it became the thread. Next event, someone setup an AH thread first ;)

But the much busier "Moan about Leo", "Ah sure its nothing", "When is it hitting Dublin" thread was more available and busier.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

>2,500 users on the weather forum and there were >15,000 users on boards.ie today at one point. I've never seen more than 8,000.

The site is under huge pressure I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Boards.ie: Ronan

Hi Guys,

Just to give ye a wee bit of an explanation as to why there are issues with some threads today. Forgive me if this gets a bit technical but we've been receiving far more traffic than normal today. Traffic so far peaked at about 18k users online around lunch time whereas a normal day we'd have 4-5k online at any one time. That volume of traffic has caused some issues for our servers, chiefly a delay in how rapidly our db slaves replicate from their master. Normal operation would have that delay at zero, however given the volumes of traffic we've been getting some of the slaves have been lagging at around 500-600 seconds. The result of this delay is that depending on what slave is queried and the position of that slave in the replication process we can get a disparity between the total number of posts in a thread and the actual posts returned by a slave.

Unfortunately the more popular a thread is the more pronounced this issue becomes, but we've been working all day to limit the amount of lag the slaves experience. Hopefully once traffic contracts back to more normal levels we'll be able to get the slaves back in sync and the problem should rectify itself.

Ronan

Thanks for the explanation Ronan.
    Any plans afoot to prevent this happening during the next big peak in site traffic?
    The weather forum is a great resource to have, would be nice to have it working during a big weather event.
    Its surprising how much we actually rely on boards for our weather forecasts.
    Thanks to all who tried to resolve the issue yesterday BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,629 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Problem still exists.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

There are several threads that are giving issues for some reason, I've posted a heads up message for the support team

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

We are looking into this, but can't see why it's causing problems. If you're getting phantom notifications, could you try unfollowing and refollowing the thread? The database and logs look clear to us :/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

We are looking into this, but can't see why it's causing problems. If you're getting phantom notifications, could you try unfollowing and refollowing the thread? The database and logs look clear to us :/

For what it's worth, I don't have specific threads followed, I have the whole forum followed, so unfollowing the thread isn't an option that's offered as such.

I am wondering if this is a strange caching issue related to cloudflare, rather than the boards farm, nothing to base that on other than the fact that it seems to be happening when there's more activity, rather than when things are quiet.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
Advertisement