Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Package missing

Options
  • 16-10-2017 8:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

Not sure if this is in right form , just want to warn others , and maybe seek some advice, I bought optics off McLeod s of Tain in Scotland to the value of £1510 or €1750 approx , they sent it by parcel force which sent it to gls , apparently it was delivered to my house on 19-9-17 by gls , when I contacted gls nearly a week later to see where my package was they got the driver to ring me and told me he left it at the back door and signed for it himself , there was no body home on that day , ploughing championships were on , I never got the package or any of my family members got it either, gls have been giving me the run around for the past 4 weeks, telling me to get a receipt from mcleods which I have done and they will claim off there insurance, now the driver has changed his story and said he handed the package to "a man that was standing at the gate and watched him leave the package at the back of my house " I'm sick of it now and want advice , would you recommend Legal advice ? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

You don't have the parcel which they were paid to deliver, and they can't prove that they delivered it to you or any agent of yours - you should have no difficulty establishing a claim. The only caveat is that I don't think their insurance is going to cover the full of that loss.

Would be no harm to spend the €50 or so and have a solicitor give them a kick IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 GADWALL

Hello,
    I have had several instances of "self signature" myself of late and in another case a whole gun was left with a neighbour who signed for a Box and then left the Box on my door step . I was lucky it was there when I got home.

From what you say the Delivery company are the responsible party . Firstly , contact the seller , they can put pressure on the courier to sort it out , or pull the contract to deliver . Second seek a copy of the signature for the item they state they have and also report the matter to the Local Gardaí as a theft has taken place on your property , I would be looking at your household insurance policy as a fall back position so you need to report it .

If you are going to go the Legal route , Be prepared from the outset to go all the way . That box was a non function gun that went back and forth a few times , unfixed and I had to go legal. €50 will not buy you a solicitors letter , at a guess , District Court claim for that amount you are looking at the bones of a Grand , but once started I am sure they will settle with you through their insurers , just be prepared for Hard ball from them , you just never know .

Yes it is very annoying and takes the pleasure out of things , but fight on and good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Tommyaya4

If someone signed the have the name of the person that signed if u didn’t sign for it or never gave gls authority to leve the parcel in a safe place then they are repsonsible for it being lost or stolen these lads might have left it at a neighbors or anything they are still responsible

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭leica

The driver signed my name , I have a copy of the signature that mcleods were able to get for me , I never had contact wit gls or the driver until nearly a week after they were supposed to be delivered, so I couldn't give them permission to leave them anywhere else, I have contacted the local Garda this morning and have to meet him on Wednesday, just to let you know that mcleods couldn't of been more helpful during this whole mess

leica wrote: »
    The driver signed my name , I have a copy of the signature that mcleods were able to get for me , I never had contact wit gls or the driver until nearly a week after they were supposed to be delivered, so I couldn't give them permission to leave them anywhere else, I have contacted the local Garda this morning and have to meet him on Wednesday, just to let you know that mcleods couldn't of been more helpful during this whole mess

See I would submit a claim diver had no authority to sign your name problem with the couriers is they don’t do customer complaints

• Advertisement

Yeah is a pain in the h**e , rang there head office three times and your put in a que waiting 20-30 mins to talk to someone, and no help at all . I wonder would the be as relaxed if it was their €1700 , I think not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

If you paid by credit card initiate a chargeback with your bank.

GLS are doing this all the time lately, and the insurance will be limited to €1-200 max.

Thank you but I don't understand. What's charge back ?

Thank you but I don't understand. What's charge back ?

You contact your card issuer and tell them you didn’t receive goods you paid for. They will check it out and if you can prove it (forward emails between you and GLS etc.) they will refund you and debit the money from the retailers account. This only works with credit cards, not debit cards AFAIK.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 314 ✭✭Walter Mittys Brother

The retailer did nothing wrong though. GLS are the guilty party & as said will prob get away with a measly payout :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

spyderski wrote: »
    If you paid by credit card initiate a chargeback with your bank.

GLS are doing this all the time lately, and the insurance will be limited to €1-200 max.

Insurance doesnt matter.

Contract was with retailer. They didnt deliver. Full refund and they can claim back from GLS. Chasing GLS isnt your problem.

The OP has no contract with GLS. His contract is with the retailer. It will be up to them to sort it out with their agent GLS.

It is literally the only way the OP will get his money back.

Surely you can see where I'm coming from , that is a lot of money to me , and I will do everything I can to not let them get away with it just because they have incompetent drivers

I did pay by credit card , I just rang AIB and all staff are sent home for the day , I'm sure mcleoads wont be very happy if I do a back charge ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Have you asked to see the signature? There won't be one, of course, but it'd be interesting to see what faff GLS come up with.

I seen the signature and it's not mine , the driver must of signed it for me , gls told me to get macleoads to claim for the package, but they didn't loose them ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I did pay by credit card , I just rang AIB and all staff are sent home for the day , I'm sure mcleoads wont be very happy if I do a back charge ?

They won't.
    However, it's completely up to them to resolve the issue. They are responsible for the delivery until it's in your posession.
    Your only recourse here is to ask them to re-send the same items again, or refund your payment.

Oh lord , I can call them or email them to send the item again or refund me but I have a feeling they will tell me where to go

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭biketard

Is the driver not committing fraud by signing your name?

It would be fraudulent but he is changing his story and saying he handed them to a man at my house and watched as he brought them around the back of the house , before that he admitted to me that he left them at the back door and signed for it himself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It won’t have been the first time and it’s not your fault their chosen couriers didn’t deliver.

Just emailed maleoads about an hour ago to tell them that they are responsible, interesting to see what they will send back

Lad the contract is between the courier and the shop u didn’t get whst u paid for the shop owes you the money and it’s up to them to chase down GLS they must have a contract I work for An Post that’s the way it works it’s not your problem it’s between the contracted parties

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭allan450

I work in the tpn network and i can tell you the driver is in a world of ****.gls will have to pay out for the missing goods well there insurance will.you should get your full amount.ring the gls depo and keep the pressure on.you cant lose here

Sick of ringing gls , no help what so ever actually useless , like talking to a stone , but on a brighter note macleods contacted me yesterday and asked how I was progressing with gls, I told them the story and they refunded me in full ,they are a decent bunch , they are going to chase up gls , but god help them, thanks for all your help lads ��

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Sick of ringing gls , no help what so ever actually useless , like talking to a stone , but on a brighter note macleods contacted me yesterday and asked how I was progressing with gls, I told them the story and they refunded me in full ,they are a decent bunch , they are going to chase up gls , but god help them, thanks for all your help lads ��
    They'll have more clout. They're GLS's business.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

If anything this thread shows MacLeods to be a decent company to do business with. Thanks for the updates OP

Thanks to all of you for your help lads , thought this was going to be a long drawn out process but was solved in a few days ,

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭SakoHunter75

Glad to hear this worked out ok in the end
    I bought optics off McLeod s of Tain in Scotland to the value of £1510 or €1750 approx

What optics had you ordered, out of pure curiosity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

Two of my mates bought leica RF binoculars from mc leods recently.
    Not sure who delivered them but everything was fine.
    After your experience with GLS I don't think I will ever use them again.

Advertisement