Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Only one week left but stress has me functionally useless

Options
  • 16-10-2017 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

I'm on my final week of notice for my job and the stress of it has gone through the roof lately, so much so that I've been having panic attacks to the degree I can barely function. It reached a new high today where we all have to work from home because of the storm and I'm being asked to do stuff that I have no idea even how to go about doing from home. I'm at my wits end here, I can't afford to start my new job next week like this. What's the worst that could happen if I just explain that I can't afford to keep this up even for a few more days?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

The worst that can happen is you don't get paid for the week. That's about it, your current employer may be peeved at you and give you a less than glowing reference but if you don't need it anyway, does it matter?

On the flip side, it's only 4 more days and you would then leave on good terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

I'm on my final week of notice for my job and the stress of it has gone through the roof lately, so much so that I've been having panic attacks to the degree I can barely function. It reached a new high today where we all have to work from home because of the storm and I'm being asked to do stuff that I have no idea even how to go about doing from home. I'm at my wits end here, I can't afford to start my new job next week like this. What's the worst that could happen if I just explain that I can't afford to keep this up even for a few more days?

don't explain, you're unwell. Stop working.

Worst that can happen, it affects your reference. it's not the end of the world, you're not going to destroy your career with a few sick days, but you could damage your mental health by not taking them. That's harder to come back from than the reference thing

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Missix

That sounds awful,I really feel for you.

Depending on your contract,finishing now without working your full notice would leave you in breach of contract.An employer is not likely to bother persuing that though unless you have specific penalties in your contract eg monetary compensation to be deducted from final pay if full notice not served.The main concern would be that it would effect any reference from them though.

Is it really unbearable?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Whiskeyjack

Thanks for the advice and support guys.

The main problem is my boss, he's a giant ball of stress himself and it's slowly infected me over the last few months. He always seems a moment away from freaking out and I've had a couple of spats with him already. He freaks out at the tiniest setbacks so telling him this isn't going to go down well. But I know I should do it, I've been out of work a few times in my life with insomnia/anxiety/stress and this is no different.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

davo10 wrote:
    The worst that can happen is you don't get paid for the week.

The OPs employer can't withhold his wages.

OP, I don't know why you are getting stressed when you're starting a new job next week. There is absolutely nothing for boss can do to you now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Whiskeyjack

Stress is never logical and this is no different. I know it's easy to say "sure it's grand you've a new job" but my nerves have been completely frayed by this and it's a struggle to think it out rationally. The main problem is I've been destroying myself by struggling to keep this guy happy and now the thought of having to have this one final fight with him is nearly as bad as having to put up with him for another week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

Take 1000mg vitamin C & 150mg l-theanine. This is naturally calming.

Do some bursts of intense exercise too, then stretch. This plus vitamin C will help flush excess cortisol.

Then go for a walk in a forest - ideally for 2 hours - without headphones or using your smartphone. Let the sounds & sights calm your mind.

Minimise caffiene.

Consider a steam inhaler with essential oils too (like lavender) and if you can, get a massage.

Most of all, breathe slowly & rhythmically with your stomach and try Havening Technique by Paul McKenna (youtube vid) to calm yourself.

Process stress physically as much as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Stress is never logical and this is no different. I know it's easy to say "sure it's grand you've a new job" but my nerves have been completely frayed by this and it's a struggle to think it out rationally. The main problem is I've been destroying myself by struggling to keep this guy happy and now the thought of having to have this one final fight with him is nearly as bad as having to put up with him for another week.

OP, he isn't worth the toll on your physical and mental health to "keep him happy". People like that are parasites, never happy no matter what you do, and will never change for anyone. You need to look after yourself. Send him an email and say you cannot perform any work for the rest of the day as something has come up (as it does in this storm) then put away your laptop and do something which calms you down.

Is there anyone else who can provide you with a reference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

The OPs employer can't withhold his wages.

OP, I don't know why you are getting stressed when you're starting a new job next week. There is absolutely nothing for boss can do to you now.

Unless the employer pays when op is on sick leave, the op would not be entitled to be paid if he/she does not attend for work for the rest of this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

OP, you are leaving. If they are asking you to do things you can't do then either say 'I'll do my best', do your best and if it isn't done then tough, or stall them and it doesn't get done. What will they do, sack you? You can take a step back and slow down a bit, have a cup of tea.
    Or drop into your GP and get signed off for a couple of days.
    You really don't need to explain, your priorities are elsewhere now.
    Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

that's it in a nutshell

worst that can happen is you lose a weeks pay
    and maybe a reference

email him that you're struggling with tasks for today - that are new to you

if his reaction is over the top - ring in sick over stress
    dont answer the phone
    tell him to email you if he reacts negatively

change is as good as a rest as they say, new job hopefully gives you that

• Registered Users Posts: 78,432 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You could talk to your GP.
    turbot wrote: »
    Then go for a walk in a forest