Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Storm and heating

• 16-10-2017 12:52pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Storm advice.
    Feel free to add to this thread.

I would advise putting on you heating now if you still have electricity. It will warm up the house which will stay war for hours if electricity fails.

Anyone with boiler stoves should be aware that the pump attached needs power and everything can get too hot without it. If electricity goes, dont refuel it and let it go out.
    If you have a non boiler stove you can use that even during a power cut. This also applies to a non backboiler fireplace.

If depending on electricity for your water, fill up some containers and perhaps some in the bath for flushing the toilet.
    Don't forget to turn off any taps that that you might have turned on while no power and left on when power returns.

Keep internal doors closed, it will stop air wind rushing around the house when outside door is opened.

Have a quick look around the garden to see if anything needs to be secured. We have all seen the damage a trampoline can do in even moderate winds.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

I've a boiler stove and this question came up today.

I've a Boiler stove, oil and solar plumbed into a 3 coil Joule tank.

It's plumbed in such a way the water from the stove heats the water in the bottom of the tank, and at some point (60 degrees I think) the stat trips the Grundfos Selectric pump and hot water hits the rads in the "living zone" of the house.

Would it be possible in the event of the electric going to manually open that valve and let the water hit the living zone? I can see where I can manually turn the pump, anyway to just open it? I assume it's required anyway to 'pump' the hot water to the rads. I originally thought with a gravity feed system there were no pumps, but evidently not.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

I've a boiler stove and this question came up today.

I've a Boiler stove, oil and solar plumbed into a 3 coil Joule tank.

It's plumbed in such a way the water from the stove heats the water in the bottom of the tank, and at some point (60 degrees I think) the stat trips the Grundfos Selectric pump and hot water hits the rads in the "living zone" of the house.

Would it be possible in the event of the electric going to manually open that valve and let the water hit the living zone? I can see where I can manually turn the pump, anyway to just open it? I assume it's required anyway to 'pump' the hot water to the rads. I originally thought with a gravity feed system there were no pumps, but evidently not.

Your gravity system is just between your stove and cylinder, not to rads. In a two story house you might have some gravity feed to upstairs rads.

Are you sure it’s a pump and not a motorized valve that you mentioned above?

You won’t get gravity feed to rads downstairs without electricity.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Since power outage yesterday, control panel for the gas heating (channel plus h37xl) is dead as a dodo. No power at all going to it.
    And the pilot light in the boiler is off.

Is it really a call for a plumber and electrician? Money is really tight, wondering does it cost much to replace the control panel?

Advertisement