Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Misuse of disabled parking spots

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Explosives hooked up to the ignition? Too far?

Is that you Martin? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

AnneFrank wrote: »
    Urinating in the petrol tank seems fair too
    Difficult for women though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

Jawgap wrote: »
    Maybe 'tis yourself who needs to read your own posts.

Disabled bays on private property have no law backing them up, but there are corresponding bays on the public highway backed by the force of law......there is nothing like parent and precious spots in the public realm.......that should tell you something.

Parking in a parent and precious bay is a bit like taking a deep trolley but only buying half-a-dozen items.....it's a bit of an inconvenience for the person deprived of the trolley, but in the overall scheme of things it's a real first world problem.

???????????? Not one of those posts talks about your parenting skills, not even slightly, one of them wasnt even replying to you but another poster! Did you actually read the posts?

Now you are comparing to a shopping trolley, a trolley? You are off your trolley!!!

There are no parent and CHILD spaces on public highways (that I know of) so we cant compare but we dont need to if we are looking at your argument cause neither are covered in private carpark so neither are illegal to park in. It is still wrong to park in regardless of what happens elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

As a sole occupant or with children under 5?

My dog is under 5 and part of the family so does that count?

I'll use it as a sole occupation because its just a parking space. Didn't we all survive years ago without them. Just because you've kids you don't need a bigger space. It's the fact we all need bigger parking spaces because modern cars are so big compared to the size of the cars when those parking space measurements were created

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

The parent spots are only really useful, when you have a baby that's in a baby seat and for them you need to open the door a fair bit to get them in. If a car parks on either side of the car quite close to you you can't get your baby in. And in fairness, but it's a bit of a sh feeling to put your baby in a car seat down on the ground to move your car out of the bay. Or ask someone to hold it while you move the car. And in most cases you can't even blame people for bad parking because in some shopping centres the spots are so tight that this just happens. Also if it's a busy day, the garage can fill up quickly and when you come back it's packed.
    If there aren't any free parent spots I park far away from the entrance because the further away the smaller the chance to get blocked.

Once they're out of that stage you usually manage to squeeze them in. It's only really the Baby stage and maybe the pregnancy stage. I remember being locked out of my car in a carpark because I couldn't get in either side with my bump.

EPAndlee wrote: »
    My dog is under 5 and part of the family so does that count?

I'll use it as a sole occupation because its just a parking space. Didn't we all survive years ago without them. Just because you've kids you don't need a bigger space. It's the fact we all need bigger parking spaces because modern cars are so big compared to the size of the cars when those parking space measurements were created

I'll stay on topic.

In the unlikely event that someone ever pulled up and all the wheelchair spaces were taken and you nabbed the last child parking space would you consider it fair if you had no children with you and deprive them of a much needed space with extra width?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I'll stay on topic.

In the unlikely event that someone ever pulled up and all the wheelchair spaces were taken and you nabbed the last child parking space would you consider it fair if you had no children with you and deprive them of a much needed space with extra width?

To be honest I wouldn't care

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »

I'm playing devils advocate here.

You're right on the word 'fair' to be fair :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

The disabled bays are for disabled people with or without wheelchairs, and the parent & child bays are for vehicles with (you guessed it) parents and children. People who argue against these markings really need to get a grip, & to think of others. A bit of empathy wouldn't go astray.

To be honest I wouldn't care

That's very inconsiderate but at the same time not illegal.

Each to their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

greenttc wrote: »
    ???????????? Not one of those posts talks about your parenting skills, not even slightly, one of them wasnt even replying to you but another poster! Did you actually read the posts?

Now you are comparing to a shopping trolley, a trolley? You are off your trolley!!!

There are no parent and CHILD spaces on public highways (that I know of) so we cant compare but we dont need to if we are looking at your argument cause neither are covered in private carpark so neither are illegal to park in. It is still wrong to park in regardless of what happens elsewhere.

Exactly, there are no bays for parents and precious anywhere except on private property where they're offered as a convenience. And yes, they are a convenience offered by shops in the same way the shop offers a variety of trolleys and baskets for the convenience of different shoppers......

......taking a parent and precious bay is like taking a basket or trolley that doesn't quite meet your needs......it probably inconveniences someone, but really they'll manage.......taking a disabled bay is pure twattery.

If parent and precious bays were actually important and served some social use we'd legislate for them.

Exactly, there are no bays for parents and precious anywhere except on private property where they're offered as a convenience. And yes, they are a convenience offered by shops in the same way the shop offers a variety of trolleys and baskets for the convenience of different shoppers......

......taking a parent and precious bay is like taking a basket or trolley that doesn't quite meet your needs......it probably inconveniences someone, but really they'll manage.......taking a disabled bay is pure twattery.

If parent and precious bays were actually important and served some social use we'd legislate for them.

I'm laughing at that here and the wife is looking at me like i belong in a mental asylum :pac::pac::pac:

That's very inconsiderate but at the same time not illegal.

Each to their own.

Honestly it wouldn't even cross my mind. I do only just them if I'm just running in for a few minutes. If I'm going to be a while or in a shopping centre then I'll park far away where there is no other cars

There is nothing designating trolleys to specific people, you cant compare.

This time I really am not replying to you anymore, your arguments are ridiculous and I find them so ignorant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Just because you've kids you don't need a bigger space.
    It's the obesity. Some parents can't get their precious little butterballs out of the car.

It's the obesity. Some parents can't get their precious little butterballs out of the car.

Just put them in the boot and roll them out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Just because you've kids you don't need a bigger space.

If you have a small baby in one of those baby car seats you need to open your doors enough to get them in. No way you can squeeze one of these car seats in unless you have sliding doors.

• Advertisement

There is nothing designating trolleys to specific people, you cant compare.

This time I really am not replying to you anymore, your arguments are ridiculous and I find them so ignorant.

Of course I can, I just did......and I'm guessing the trolleys with two seats are intended for people with two ankle-biters in tow......the trolleys with one seat or for those either one....the trolleys with the clips are for people in wheelchairs.....and the baskets are for anyone doing a quick shop.....it's a way of segmenting customers and providing a convenience to them.

If you want to see how important parent and precious bays are maybe find an example of a commercial development were permission was refused or a condition was imposed for the want of them.......it's a while since I was involved in planning matters but I certainly remember examples of developments being conditioned with requirements for minimum numbers of disabled bays.....which, again, indicates that such bays are important and fulfill a social function whereas parent and precious bays are just paint.

LirW wrote: »
    If you have a small baby in one of those baby car seats you need to open your doors enough to get them in. No way you can squeeze one of these car seats in unless you have sliding doors.

.....or like my wife had......a convertible ;)

Pretty rubbish for the Irish weather but great for loading shopping and kids into :D

Talk about injustice she got to keep the fun car, and I was the one who had to get the sensible one......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Nah. Defo fair game, maybe a tyre slashing or a wing mirror kick too.

I think that sort of stuff, along with keying the vehicle should only be for people who have the baby/child on board signs on their car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I think that sort of stuff, along with keying the vehicle should only be for people who have the baby/child on board signs on their car.

Personally, I would go with a predator drone missile in those cases.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Well, it's the typical Irish attitude again. Plus I always found the (internet) Irish hate children.
    Yes, you can take a parent and child space. You can also let the door slam in the next person's face instead of holding it, urinate all over the toilet, instead of bringing the trolley back you can abandon it at the end of the car park, block the aisle whilst deciding between Lyons and Barry's for 5 minutes, if no p&c space is available take up 2 spaces, take items out of the freezer and hide round the shop, the list goes on.
    The point is, it's not illegal being an asshole, but it's considered nice to try not to be one.
    I'm back in Germany and I never see any of the above things anymore, because we have a different attitude to rules. We think they help everyone to get along, whilst some Irish people just think, well, nothing. Whilst others might want to show off that rebellious 1916 spirit, you certainly showed that mother and child who's boss! Big Man! So impressed!
    You should try class and dignity for a change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

There's a guy in my town,I actually kinda know him to say hello that does it all the time.Even this morning I saw him ignore 2 empty spaces literally the length of his car away as he reversed into a disabled space.A minute or so earlier I was walking out of the store and would have challenged him on it but as it stands,I was too far away and the missus has been mortified more than once as I made people move.
    Laziness is not a disability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Well, it's the typical Irish attitude again. Plus I always found the (internet) Irish hate children.
    Yes, you can take a parent and child space. You can also let the door slam in the next person's face instead of holding it, urinate all over the toilet, instead of bringing the trolley back you can abandon it at the end of the car park, block the aisle whilst deciding between Lyons and Barry's for 5 minutes, if no p&c space is available take up 2 spaces, take items out of the freezer and hide round the shop, the list goes on.
    The point is, it's not illegal being an asshole, but it's considered nice to try not to be one.
    I'm back in Germany and I never see any of the above things anymore, because we have a different attitude to rules. We think they help everyone to get along, whilst some Irish people just think, well, nothing. Whilst others might want to show off that rebellious 1916 spirit, you certainly showed that mother and child who's boss! Big Man! So impressed!

While I agree with some of your points, it's not exactly classy or dignified to slag off a whole nation while asserting the superiority of your home country.

It's especially unfortunate when that country is Germany :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I've said it before ,we're a socially immature country. These threads prove it time and time again. Had some ar$e pull up to our scout den in a 4 x 4 and park across about 3 spaces in a very tight car park last night. Couldn't see what was wrong. The shear inconsiderate behaviour of some Irish people must come as a surprise to those who come here from more civilized European countries.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I love children. I don't think I could eat a whole one though.

• Advertisement

maudgonner wrote: »
    While I agree with some of your points, it's not exactly classy or dignified to slag off a whole nation while asserting the superiority of your home country.

It's especially unfortunate when that country is Germany :pac:

Ze Germans would only ever take one space......they'd never annex another :D

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I've said it before ,we're a socially immature country. These threads prove it time and time again. Had some ar$e pull up to our scout den in a 4 x 4 and park across about 3 spaces in a very tight car park last night. Couldn't see what was wrong. The shear inconsiderate behaviour of some Irish people must come as a surprise to those who come here from more civilized European countries.

As I said earlier in the thread, you only have to see what goes on with the school run......it's utterly laughable that parents would complain about someone using a parent and precious spot when the parents of school going kids twice day wreck traffic for everyone.

Case in point......they built a brand new school about 1500m away from where I live. The school replaced and older one and a good chunk of the yard was sacrificed to build a drop off/pick up area......people still refuse to use it and park both sides of the road. So much so that for an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon the local bus company routes its services away from the area because it takes forever to get through......and all so little Fiachra and Lillypad don't have to walk to a school they can see from their houses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

sorry double post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I lived in Germany and there are assholes in Germany too . In fact there are assholes everywhere and Germany is no exception .I worked with the public in both Germany and Ireland and there are equally good and equally bad in both countries .So dont pretend all is rosy in Germany .It is not

https://www.herfamily.ie/parenthood/mum-best-reaction-man-taking-last-mother-baby-parking-space-281955?utm_source=email

Just read an article about how one mother dealt with people taking up p and c spaces. Thought her action was far more satisfying than a slashed tyre, she stuck
    pooey nappy to his windscreen, love it! If i ever get really really angry i may try this but would have to watch from afar to see the reaction and get full satisfaction!

https://www.herfamily.ie/parenthood/mum-best-reaction-man-taking-last-mother-baby-parking-space-281955?utm_source=email

Just read an article about how one mother dealt with people taking up p and c spaces. Thought her action was far more satisfying than a slashed tyre, she stuck
    pooey nappy to his windscreen, love it! If i ever get really really angry i may try this but would have to watch from afar to see the reaction and get full satisfaction!

Yeah, human faeces sounds like an appropriate response alright :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I read some of her blog and death would be a release from it. It's filled with self entitled crap about me me me and Rhydian and Osian(seriously!). She is an attention seeking idiot.

If she came near me or my car with Rhydian or Osian's nappy I'd quite happily land it on her head. The guy should have reported her.

anewme wrote: »
    I read some of her blog and death would be a release from it. It's filled with self entitled crap about me me me and Rhydian and Osian(seriously!). She is an attention seeking idiot.

If she came near me or my car with Rhydian or Osian's nappy I'd quite happily land it on her head. The guy should have reported her.

To be honest I had never heard of her but didnt really like what she had written or how she had written it and kind of gotten a sense she would be just as you described but I still thought the dirty nappy idea was funny! Probably would never be brave enough to do it though!

To be honest I had never heard of her but didnt really like what she had written or how she had written it and kind of gotten a sense she would be just as you described but I still thought the dirty nappy idea was funny! Probably would never be brave enough to do it though!

So would smearing human faeces on the handle of a buggy be ok if the buggy was plonked in the spot reserved for wheelchair users on a bus?

Something that's obviously a problem because DB and the IWA are currently running a campaign about it?

And if someone did that to my car I'd see them charged for criminal damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

A few weeks ago I had on odd one.

Was in a place with limited parking.

A car was parked in a normal parking spot, driver was getting out of the car and into his wheelchair.

No problem normally, but the only other spot available was a disabled spot that we were not entitled to use but he was but for some reason didn't use it.

I would have asked him to move but was not driving , was in back seat so we drove down the road to another spot.

If that had been the other way around though there would rightly be outrage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

murpho999 wrote: »

A car was parked in a normal parking spot, driver was getting out of the car and into his wheelchair.

No problem normally, but the only other spot available was a disabled spot that we were not entitled to use but he was but for some reason didn't use it.

I would have asked him to move but was not driving , was in back seat so we drove down the road to another spot.

That is strange, was there a disabled parking permit on display in the car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

I challenged a woman and she said “my child is sick”.
    But it has full use of its limbs?
    I’m sure the calpol and 7up could have waited.

amcalester wrote: »

It’s strange yes, however they can’t be compulsorily forced to used a designated wheelchair space, if a wheelchair user, one would be of the opinion they have a badge also

Many wheelchair users opt to use a standard space Incase a van full of residents from somewhere like COPE Foundation or ABODE needs it, you could have several wheelchair users in one of those vans.

Couldn't see but seeing as the driver was confined to a wheelchair then I'm sure he did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 run_faster

too much being made of this , relative to the percentage of the actual population who are disabled , there are twice to many disabled spots outside public buildings or large retail stores etc , half of them are permenantly empty

its an example of towing the PC line

the outrage about it is merely virtue signalling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Couldn't see but seeing as the driver was confined to a wheelchair then I'm sure he did.

So you don't know if he was entitled to actually use the space?

run_faster wrote: »
    too much being made of this , relative to the percentage of the actual population who are disabled , there are twice to many disabled spots outside public buildings or large retail stores etc , half of them are permenantly empty

Maybe, but perhaps the abuse of these spots was considered when deciding on a number so that disabled people had a better chance of getting a spot!

Thats probably not the case in fairness but isnt it bad that if there are too many spots per head of the disabled population the eligible users still find a lack of availability quite often.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

run_faster wrote: »

A lot of buzz words for a new account. There should be a limit.

It may not be a big deal to you but if you are the disabled person and have to park a good distance from your destination just because some dick decided he was too lazy to find another parking spot I'd say it's quite an important issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Was the car park jammed?

I have to admit that I do the same thing for electric car charging.

Standard slow chargers have generally got 2 sockets but often only 1 space marked. I have an extra long cable so if I get there and can park in an adjoining space and still plug in then I do so in order to keep the marked space free for a second user.

Presumably this person had the same logic. If they used the disabled space then another driver may end up stuck. But by taking the one beside it they still left space for another disabled driver who might be in need.

So you don't know if he was entitled to actually use the space?

I would be pretty certain that a driver who is using an adapted car and clearly in long term paralysis state requiring an electric wheelchair would be entitled to use a disabled space.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Was the car park jammed?

I have to admit that I do the same thing for electric car charging.

Standard slow chargers have generally got 2 sockets but often only 1 space marked. I have an extra long cable so if I get there and can park in an adjoining space and still plug in then I do so in order to keep the marked space free for a second user.

Presumably this person had the same logic. If they used the disabled space then another driver may end up stuck. But by taking the one beside it they still left space for another disabled driver who might be in need.

It was in Sallins, beside the canal , on road parking.

Very busy, and only spot free was the disabled spot as last normal spot was taken by the wheelchair user.

As it was not a car park there were no spaces next to each other.

• Advertisement
Advertisement