Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Misuse of disabled parking spots

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

murpho999 wrote: »
    I would be pretty certain that a driver who is using an adapted car and clearly in long term paralysis state requiring an electric wheelchair would be entitled to use a disabled space.

100%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I would be pretty certain that a driver who is using an adapted car and clearly in long term paralysis state requiring an electric wheelchair would be entitled to use a disabled space.

That's a long winded way of saying I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Doesn't matter if they don't have a valid disabled badge. Could have simply forgotten to renew it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

amcalester wrote: »
    That's a long winded way of saying I don't know.

It can be safe to assume somethings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I will often use a regular parking spot in case a 'more' disabled person comes along. It's like Imposter Syndrome. I would use the disabled spot if there is more than one or if the carpark has limited regular spots though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

run_faster wrote: »
    too much being made of this , relative to the percentage of the actual population who are disabled , there are twice to many disabled spots outside public buildings or large retail stores etc , half of them are permenantly empty

its an example of towing the PC line

the outrage about it is merely virtue signalling
    It's only virtue signalling if the proselytised behaviour is virtuous.

Car park usage follows statistical patterns. If there are typically 1-2 disabled drivers parked outside a given shop, then every now and again there'll be 3, 4 or 5 a the same time, just by chance. If there are only 2 disabled parking spaces, a disabled person may now have to choose between struggling to exit/reenter their car and walk a relatively long distance (maybe 100s of metres in a busy place) to the shop from a regular parking space. You're looking at the relatively unbusy 3rd and 4th disabled space and thinking you could have a moment's convenience, but the price would have been an occasional disabled person's misery. You can walk that few hundred metres easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

People who abuse these parking spots don't appreciate what they mean to those that need them. I have one and try to be independent. Last week I had something which I needed to do in town. I circled the area numerous times trying to find a free spot. The only one within my walking range is near a bank and each time I passed by, it was taken by a different able bodied person just "nipping in" to the bank for a bit of business. I had to go home and get my wife to drop me at the place I needed to get to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

I have a badge. Twice now with my mother both times, parked in disabled spot and got questioned even tho the badge was clearly visible on the windscreen! Once the woman actually met my mother on the street 10 mins after parking (where they watched and started at us) and questioned her about it! I had gone to a different shop! I don't look sick but I am. Althoigh I mostly use it for parking on Main Streets etc for free rather then take the 1 spot available. Or if there is only 1 spot free I won't take it incase someone with wheelchair comes along. I just need it for distance!

My point is tho for people that do confront people about parking in disabled spaces make sure you Are right before you do! It can be upsetting to get accused and have to explain your self to some randomer!!! If they have a badge and you don't think there disabled you need to be damn sure your right!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

idunno78 wrote: »

My point is tho for people that do confront people about parking in disabled spaces make sure you Are right before you do! It can be upsetting to get accused and have to explain your self to some randomer!!! If they have a badge and you don't think there disabled you need to be damn sure your right!!!

It is a horrible experience. I am a 34 year old woman and obviously don't fit people's criteria of a disabled person when I am sitting in my car. I once parked in a disabled spot, permit on the dashboard and just opened the car door when a woman ran across the street and told me I should feel very bad about myself! I genuinely didn't know what she was on about til she referenced where I was parked. I was so embarrassed but responded telling her not to be so judgemental and that I had a permit. I was having a particularly bad day so my limp was more pronounced. If she had let me out of the car before she started ranting, she would have seen that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Had to visit Clarehall yesterday for NDLS stuff. Had the nipper in the back. Parked well back from the entrances and had no problem getting her in and out of the car. Passed the Lardass and Junior Lardass spaces on the way in. They were all full and there were other cars stopped and waiting for spaces to vacate. :rolleyes:

Another thing I noticed is that the Lardass and Junior Lardass spaces are closer to the doors than the spaces for Disabled people. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Had to visit Clarehall yesterday for NDLS stuff. Had the nipper in the back. Parked well back from the entrances and had no problem getting her in and out of the car. Passed the Lardass and Junior Lardass spaces on the way in. They were all full and there were other cars stopped and waiting for spaces to vacate. :rolleyes:

Another thing I noticed is that the Lardass and Junior Lardass spaces are closer to the doors than the spaces for Disabled people. :confused:

s-l225.jpg

While in supernova in Ballincollig yesterday i spotted a 'middle aged' man pull up with the car full of kids and dumped it in a disabled parking space.

Nothing was said to him and there was no badge on display.

It was p1ssing out of the heavens and the spaces were right next to the door.

Now i'm assuming he had no badge but i am open to the possibility he didn't have it with him.

I didn't even park in one of the spaces yesterday and i had the badge and my daughter with me.

Again as it is on private land there isn't much one can say or do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

idunno78 wrote: »
    I have a badge. Twice now with my mother both times, parked in disabled spot and got questioned even tho the badge was clearly visible on the windscreen! Once the woman actually met my mother on the street 10 mins after parking (where they watched and started at us) and questioned her about it! I had gone to a different shop! I don't look sick but I am. Althoigh I mostly use it for parking on Main Streets etc for free rather then take the 1 spot available. Or if there is only 1 spot free I won't take it incase someone with wheelchair comes along. I just need it for distance!

I have Permits for both my mother & my daughter. I have no issue whatsoever about being questioned or confronted. I am actually glad people do this and call out the ignorant people. If someone confronts me I just politely explain that I have a permit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I bring my grandchild in a car seat to various shopping centres .
    I have no problem if the spaces for kids on board are near or far . I am no Lardass , I can carry her or get her buggy out and walk to the door
    But I really appreciate a wider space so I dont have to worry about my door hitting anothet car while I manouver her into her seat . I appreciate the wider spaces so no one can park so close and my door can open fully so I don't wrench my back twisting to put her in .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

While it can be upsetting to be questioned by the public about your badge, it is great to see that abuse of the badge is frowned upon so much that people are ready to step in. Too many of our law breakers are ignored by the general public looking away and the wardens can't be everywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

Obviously It's good people are questioning people pRking there! But they should also look and see is there a card before says by it! Neither of the people checked just assumed!

Advertisement