Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public transport directions for Ireland now available on Apple Maps

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭bop1977

“That the update had arrived just in time for the weather to shut down public transport in the country.”

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Just tried it.

Asked to get from Bray Dart station to Sandycove Dart station.

It ignored the 16 minute train option and advised getting two busses that would take 49 minutes.

FAIL.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

murpho999 wrote: »
    Just tried it.

Asked to get from Bray Dart station to Sandycove Dart station.

It ignored the 16 minute train option and advised getting two busses that would take 49 minutes.

FAIL.

Saw a similar issue when I was trying it yesterday as well. Asked to get from Grand Canal Docks to Stephen's Green and it suggested to get a bus to the airport and then back to the city. Which makes absolutely no sense.

I am hoping it might be due to the fact that because of the storm many transport options were temporarily disabled and it had to go for strange backup routes. I can't believe it is that bad.

Edit: tried the same search just now and what it suggests today makes a lot more sense than what it did yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Bob24 wrote: »
    Saw a similar issue when I was trying it yesterday as well. Asked to get from Grand Canal Docks to Stephen's Green and it suggested to get a bus to the airport and then back to the city. Which makes absolutely no sense.

I am hoping it might be due to the fact that because of the storm many transport options were temporarily disabled and it had to go for strange backup routes. I can't believe it is that bad.

Edit: tried the same search just now and what it suggests today makes a lot more sense than what it did yesterday.
    If you were searching in the middle of the night, that might have been the only bus option.

Victor wrote: »
    If you were searching in the middle of the night, that might have been the only bus option.

No it was at 6pm. I think it is more that LUAS, DART and Dublin Bus were mostly disabled in the App yesterday to reflect the situation on the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 492 ✭✭Gerrup Outta Dat!

Bob24 wrote: »
    to ditch Google Maps.

Why would you do that? Google maps is superior in every way.

For exemple right now if I search Busaras to Heuston Station it is telling me to get Dublin Bus, whereas the best route would definitely be to use the red LUAS (which is not running as usual this morning due to damage from the storm). I assume once the LUAS resumes service Apple Maps will revert to that route.

If that’s the explaination for the strange routes we saw it’s actually good news as it means it won’t direct use a theoretical schedule and direct you to transport options which are temporary unavailable.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Gave up on Apple maps a while ago, hopelessly poor compared to google.

awec wrote: »
    Gave up on Apple maps a while ago, hopelessly poor compared to google.

Their underlying data has indeed been subpar compared to google (and of course that’s critical for a mappin app). But I find the UI *much* better.

And while location data is overall still lagging behind I find it has improved a good bit thanks to various external partnerships, and also it really depends on the location. When you are in a place where they have good data I find it much more enjoyable to use than google maps (it seemed pretty good to me in the US, and in China which I’ve been visiting regularily for years it’s actually became quite better than Google, which used to be the best navigation tool for non-Chinese speakers).

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Interesting is that it indicates where delays were happening on Luas. Presumably there was a temporary speed restriction on the Nine Arches Viaduct.

https://9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2017/10/apple-maps-ireland.jpg?quality=82&w=1500#038;strip=all&w=1500

• Advertisement
Advertisement