Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurricane Ophelia

• 16-10-2017 4:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭

Come on, own up, whoever you are. Who went out running today? There's always one. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

There's quite a few if Strava is anything to go by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,936 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

17km cycle home this morning after night shift.

Taper excuse for a very couchy afternoon. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Saw footage on RTE of people out with their kids walking the Dun Laoghaire pier during the storm. No doubt some gobsh1te went running tbh.

Some people just do not like to be told what to do. I think that's what it boils down to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

In fairness, there was no issue running in Dublin up to 1 or so and probably after that for a bit depending on where you were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Was this whole thread set up just to call some imaginary runners gob****es?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Djoucer wrote: »
    Was this whole thread set up just to call some imaginary runners gob****es?

would appear so :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Yeah I went out for a shorty this morning. I'm not a sit around all day kinda person and knew I'd be stuck in for the rest of the day. Weather wasn't due to hit Dublin till lunchtime. No problem with people going out early.
    I'm climbing the walls here now...often work from home but would get out for a walk a couple of times to break up the day.
    I'm all for heeding the warnings but the warnings for Dublin were always from lunchtime onwards so nothing wrong with getting out earlier. Lots of dog walkers etc out earlier too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Could of ran this morning , but a break is no harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭ger664

Its a lot calmer in Ennis now So I will be going out at about 7

ger664 wrote: »
    Its a lot calmer in Ennis now So I will be going out at about 7

Meant to get calm again here at 7. So might just do a couple of laps of the estate hill if it does. Going seriously insane here. Don't know how people do this every day/every evening

• Advertisement

Meant to get calm again here at 7. So might just do a couple of laps of the estate hill if it does. Going seriously insane here. Don't know how people do this every day/every evening

A core strength session not a reasonable alternative today?

Don't think it will get calm till early morning

Yeh it's actually got worse here the last hour. Not as bad as this afternoon, but worse than 2 hours ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Best run I've done in a while. That pelting rain running down your face is probably the best feeling you'll ever get. Could barely breathe coming back fairly exposed area.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    A core strength session not a reasonable alternative today?

No.

Yeah - seemed worse here now that it was earlier but is actually ok. Always seems worse when you're indoors where I live. Still would have been fine to run in though. Went out for a walk round the estate instead,

Didn't do core as it felt like xmas day with everyone in the house all day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I went out at 7:15. Lovely morning for it, perfect really. Lots of traffic but when coming home 80 mins later the roads were very quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

We were sent home from work at 9:30am as a precaution. I was geared up and out by 10.
    Got 5 recovery miles in while it was still a beautiful morning out. When I got home it was another 3 hours before winds got strong enough where I wouldn't have gone out. With a lot of these storms I've always found there to be windows of opportunity to get a run in albeit short ones....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

martyboy48 wrote: »
    We were sent home from work at 9:30am as a precaution. I was geared up and out by 10.
    Got 5 recovery miles in while it was still a beautiful morning out. When I got home it was another 3 hours before winds got strong enough where I wouldn't have gone out. With a lot of these storms I've always found there to be windows of opportunity to get a run in albeit short ones....

I was driving home from work around 11 and there were LOADS of runners out around DNS... way more than you'd normally see at that hour on a weekday... taking advantage of the unexpected time off work, I'd say :D

And after a day stuck in the house with the kids, I wish I had done the same this morning!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I did a few miles at 7 am and it was actually fairly calm at the time. A little bit of wind and a sprinkling of rain but nothing to write home about. 

All a matter of timing I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

out twice yesterday morning, in and out of work, it was grand.
    There were loads of people out walking, actually, when I was on my way home. People getting last things in from the shops, walking their dogs while they could, on the way home from work - it was fairly busy.

I see some clown went out for a run yesterday evening ;)

Ran in again this morning because the winds sounded too bad for cycling, but once I got out it was very calm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Got pissed instead.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

I feel like I'm the only one who actually had to work from home yesterday...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I had to also. Was a balls having to when those who "aren't setup to work from home" lazed about and did nothing. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I have to make up the time in the rest of the week :rolleyes:
    The joys of life as a contractor

I worked from home also. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

With an incredible sense of timing I had taken Monday off work way in advance because I was supposed to get a new gas hob installed as well as a new internet connection.

Obviously, neither actually happened yesterday. :rolleyes:

Think this one will miss us!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

There had to be a few PBs, surely?

Advertisement