Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Brian : Orange Wind Warning Sat 21 -10-17

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

The Wicklow mountains was one of the factors that led to the position of the present Dublin Airport, a long time ago, it was noticed that there tended to be less cloud, or a hole in the cloud in the vicinity of Collinstown, and that is very much influenced by the prevailing wind direction and the position of the mountains.

The down side of that is the effect it has on the winds on the approach to the airport over Howth, that section of air can be very turbulent at times, even when the winds are relatively benign.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

Absolutely pelted down for 15 minutes here in Killarney. Just stopped now

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭littlema

Those charts of meteorite58 are showing gusts of 85 km at 10m tomorrow ....I'm at 152m asl in south Sligo ........only saying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 seanTynan

I disagree along the south coast looks poised to see 130km gusts and after all Irelands largest city outside Dublin is right on the coast. I see plenty disruption from this for Cork/kerry

Is the Windy app on Android reliable?
    Forecast (GFS27) for tomorrow says gusts of 82kph in Cork city.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

littlema wrote: »
    Those charts of meteorite58 are showing gusts of 85 km at 10m tomorrow ....I'm at 152m asl in south Sligo ........only saying!

That's for 10m above ground (not above sea level).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Recent reports in my neck of the woods: Valentia S 20 kts gust 34 kts
    Sherkin S 28 kts gust 37 kts
    Shannon SE 13 kyts gust 24 kts

I4exk1P.jpg?1

sZZDCzP.png?1

YVszcGY.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

N7 M50 home today. Spray going sideways, but nothing more dramatic, it's only spray.

Looks like the ECMWF has, once again, consistently nailed this storm, all the other models have fallen into line with windspeed and course. That's two complex systems in a row that it has got spot on at 120hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Hastentoadd

If all indicators provided are incorrect for Storm Brian I think we should throw them to the floor
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPGb4STRfKw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

I disagree along the south coast looks poised to see 130km gusts and after all Irelands largest city outside Dublin is right on the coast. I see plenty disruption from this for Cork/kerry

Belfast.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Lots of talk of the risk of damaged trees coming down tonight/ tomorrow . This is a young tree in my garden that I just spotted yesterday that was damaged last Mon. Cracked right down the middle, expect it to be blown down tonight or tomorrow ( will post an update :) ). I was just thinking how many other trees out there with similar type damage must be in risk of falling .

X2uDlFZ.jpg?1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭aidanodr

DMlTsG3X4AABXoi.jpg

I took this from Monkstown this afternoon on way home .. view into Cork Harbour, Rushbrook cranes across the way toward Cobh. Absolutely tipping down at the time. Very nasty localised showers/flooding down here yesterday and today so far but Im sure worse is to come :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Chiparus wrote: »
    Belfast.

173813.jpg

popcorn.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Chiparus wrote: »
    Belfast.

That's a British city part of the UK though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

8pm.
    Valentia gusting 42 knots
    Sherkin Island 39 knots.
    Dublin airport 38 knots.
    Casement 35 knots.
    Cork Airport 33 knots.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

8pm.
    Valentia gusting 42 knots
    Sherkin Island 39 knots.
    Dublin airport 38 knots.
    Casement 35 knots.
    Cork Airport 33 knots.

Anything from Belfast?!

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Oscarziggy

Chucking it down and blowing hard on the West Wales coast -- council are closing the road through my local beach at 7am tomorrow just in case .
    The pebble bank between the sea and road was breached last Sunday -- the tides this week end are much higher.
    Stay safe .
    Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Stopped raining in Waterford. Swell not too bad in Tramore
    37107296604_5218698503_z.jpgStorm Brian starting to show itself by Leah Burgess, on Flickr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Power went here outside Arklow around 6

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

Out with the dog about a half hour a few km from Enfield and it's almost flat calm. Also a lot milder since the rain cleared. Surprised it's so calm here considering the strong gusts nearby.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

Wind Map for 19:00 (next one in for 22:00)...

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-4.13,49.50,2592/loc=-18.033,49.738

Max average wind speeds: 93kph approx. out over Atlantic.

ME Short Range Forecast:

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/short-range.asp

• Advertisement

WEB_Analysis.png?2115

9pm

Sherkin island gusting 45 knots.
    Roaches point 38 knots.
    Mace head 36 knots.
    Dublin airport 35 knots.
    Belfast Aldergrove 30 Knots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Getting rough here now.
    Remain convinced this will be a notable storm for South coast!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

It is bucketing down here in the sw, rain wind, staying inside from here on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

spookwoman wrote: »
    Stopped raining in Waterford. Swell not too bad in Tramore
    37107296604_5218698503_z.jpgStorm Brian starting to show itself by Leah Burgess, on Flickr

That van would be a good buy in a year

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

RTE don't seem too confident!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

JCX BXC wrote: »
    RTE don't seem too confident!

Good news, downgraded to a yellow warning(maybe)

Evelyn Cusack on the late late show now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭spookwoman

sword1 wrote: »
    That van would be a good buy in a year

There was a steady stream of cars driving down there with the waves crashing over. Lot of debris on the prom so good chance of something coming over and hitting you https://youtu.be/TJbAnz4dY1Y

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Wild gusts now - mid Limerick

Advertisement