Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Brian : Orange Wind Warning Sat 21 -10-17

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Looks like the storm is releasing its stronger winds now, and may follow the same pattern as Darwin although not as damaging, in other words, through the Shannon estuary into Limerick and the inland south, then southeast, with the gradient slowly weakening by late morning.

Would expect some gusts to 110 or 120 km/hr through this track as well as near south coast, with a zone between shielded by higher terrain in west Cork.

When the centre is well inland winds may begin to pick up more in Galway Bay.

Dublin and most of central Leinster will see a weakening trend now to late morning, an interval of near calm as the low passes overhead, then a rapid increase in westerly winds just after noon (peak gusts for Dublin 90-110 km/hr 2 to 6 p.m.).

A gradual increase in northwest winds will occur over most of Connacht and Ulster and peak gusts away from Galway Bay and southeast Galway only about 80 km/hr.

Havnt gone down to check wind speeds yet - but wind has really picked up here with strong gusts in the last hour. Wind roaring and very loud. Cancelled plans to be out with jeep and sided trailer later as I reckon conditions not safe to do so.

East Limerick Cork Border

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Morning all,

So I'm supposed to head down to Cork this morning for the day (Douglas and surrounding area mostly) and the winds sound bad enough here in Laois at the moment.

Am I better off leaving it till tomorrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Wind is pretty strong here in Limerick stronger than anything I saw during Ophelia around my part

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Bishopsback

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Morning all,

So I'm supposed to head down to Cork this morning for the day (Douglas and surrounding area mostly) and the winds sound bad enough here in Laois at the moment.

I'd say yeah, if you can do that it probably safest.
    No wind as such here in my part of Longford yet. A recent shower and 10 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

just walked into cork city from douglas direction. bit of rain, windy but nothing like monday - few new trees down though. river was high but tide was going out, no sign of flooding along the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Sounds way stronger than anything during Ophelia. Rain battering my window and wind howling

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

For Galway people

DONT SWIM IN THE SEA

Are ye listnin

Ill send Teresa Mannion

I'd say yeah, if you can do that it probably safest.
    No wind as such here in my part of Longford yet. A recent shower and 10 degrees.

Cheers.. It's my day with my little fella and we'd normally be out and about as he's very active, so I don't want to take any chances.

I've texted his mam who messaged me overnight to say she thought the sky dish came down (having already been damaged last week) so may leave the trip till tomorrow

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Morning all,

See: for Cork city and County

https://www.theaa.ie/roadwatch/newsroom/

gozunda wrote: »
    See: for Cork city and County

https://www.theaa.ie/roadwatch/newsroom/

Cheers for this.. Sounds like it's probably best to give things another day so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Just arrived in cork from Wexford. Strong winds for most of the journey but not much rain

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Up to 59 knots at Sherkin......anybody spot the max ?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭markfla

Supposed to have a hurling match down in laois at 2:30 today. Anyone down that way that could tell how it's been and what it's like?

markfla wrote: »
    Supposed to have a hurling match down in laois at 2:30 today. Anyone down that way that could tell how it's been and what it's like?

Sounds windy enough out so far but nowhere near as bad as it was during the peak last week

Max 59 knots so far I think.

Was thinking 60 to 65knot was going to be tops

Just looks like a very windy day now with squals

Weather bomb has been diffused

• Registered Users Posts: 37 YeaYeaSure

Very strong gusts here in West Limerick the last hour. Stronger than anything we saw Monday I would say. Coming from a more Westerly direction too which we are far more open to around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

At 23.30 the max winds in the west of the low were only about 50 knots at about 15-16W, so Sherkin's 40 gust 59 at 8 am and 43 gust 59 knots at 7 am is probably the highest were going to see anywhere from Brian. I don't expect the back edge to report higher anywhere later.

Note this aviation warning.

EISN PR WRNG 01 VALID 210400/211000 EISN SURFACE PRESSURE IS EXPECTED TO PASS THROUGH THE VALUES 981HPA AND 997HPA IN THE SHANNON FIR DURING THE FORECAST PERIOD W OF W00850=

Shannon currently gusting 55 knots. Valentia 48.

431176.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

In West Waterford inland it's windy and wet, some gusts strong enough but not at all as bad as Ophelia so far. Feels colder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

Its way worse here in north Kerry than it was with Ophelia and freezing cold with it

Current wind in Sligo

ZERO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Wind picking up here in south kildare and the sky had gone very very dark ...

pauldry wrote: »
    Current wind in Sligo

ZERO

Southwest getting hammered again :mad:

Current Report 8.00 pm from ME (knts)

SHERKIN ISLAND(A)  W40 Gust 59

VALENTIA(A)  W35 Gust 48

SHANNON AIRPORT  W33 Gust 55

No wind data For MARKREE SLIGO(A) ? So definitely Zero there lol ...

https://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭hometruths

Morning all, looking for some travel advice! We are due to go to a wedding in Kildare today travelling from Wicklow.

Problem is we have to go across the mountains through forests, because we are leaving our daughter with friends up in the hills. We'd be travelling there at 1 and back at about 10.30 tonight.

Does this sound mad?!

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

Much more windy here on the outskirts of Limerick city than it was for Ophelia.....wind is constant since it woke me at 6:30am

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭ingalway

Something like 0900 to 1100h for peak gusts, staying windy all day but a slight improvement through the afternoon.

Low is currently almost over Galway and you may notice a short lull associated with the eye of the storm. Decreasing south winds until then, picking up rapidly west to northwest in the daylight hours.

Thank you. I really appreciate all the time and effort you put in everyday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Barely a breeze in Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AttentionBebe

I'm meant to be working in Kildare today, not a peep about travelling safely as no-one has grasped that some people work Saturdays

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Heavy bursts of wind and rain in Athlone nothing out of the norm, Shannon is approx 5 feet 7 inches higher than this time 2015. It's still 6 foot lower than height of flood 15/16 but rising fast Boxer will have to get the waders out again.n

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Barely a breeze in Dublin!

Quite windy/gusty in south Dublin. Rain has just arrived.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

The graphic on Rain Today at the moment is pretty cool

www.raintoday.co.uk

Advertisement