Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Brian : Orange Wind Warning Sat 21 -10-17

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

I don't get it, we seem to be just west of the eye (Galway) and yet there is some blue skies, no rain and hardly any wind. I expected it to be windy and lashing rain. What am I missing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

5 years ago was this a storm or a wet windy October day?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭weisses

Is that a sting jet in southwest just forming

No ... conditions for one are not there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Very very heavy rain and wind in kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Limerick City on the tidal reach of the Shannon Estuary - High tide in the city was at 8.08am this (Saturday) morning.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

rafales_uk_hno5.png

5 years ago was this a storm or a wet windy October day?

still a storm ...But depends really where you live ... For example Ophelia was just a wet and windy day where I live ..... A bit more severe for others to say it mildly

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Dead calm but raining in letterkenny.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I don't want to downplay the potential too much, it's a case of the storm having hit its peak in the ocean and slowly losing intensity now, but that doesn't mean a non-event necessarily.

A gradual increase in northwest winds will occur over most of Connacht and Ulster and peak gusts away from Galway Bay and southeast Galway only about 80 km/hr.

Thanks so much MT for your intelligent posts that be up simply for us pleps. Usuall right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Lovely clear morning, here in East Meath, by the coast, heavy rain just arrived 5 mins ago, no winds yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

10 am
    59 gust at Sherkin, 48 at Valentia, only 33 at Kerry Airport

PsMETAR SHER 210900Z AUTO 27042G59KT 4300NDV -DZ BKN017/// 11/09 0992 MSL=

PsMETAR VALE 210900Z AUTO 29031G48KT 6000NDV BR BKN021/// 11/08 0993 MSL=

METAR EIKY 210900Z 29016G33KT 250V330 6000 +RA SCT014 OVC021 11/10 Q0989=

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It's gotten very windy and wet here in Laois in the last 20 minutes or so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

weisses wrote: »
    still a storm ...But depends really where you live ... For example Ophelia was just a wet and windy day where I live ..... A bit more severe for others to say it mildly

Ophelia was different jam altogether. It’s wet and windy here but nothing I haven’t seen countless times without the Facebook and tabloid hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,212 ✭✭✭✭km79

Nothing to report Windwise in east Galway
    Was wet for a few hours now passed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Little Island - Just outside Cork City - Alternating between periods of calm - sudden gusts and sustained periods of wind - Sun trying to break through but lightly raining at the same time.

Nothing too serioius or dangerous witnessed yet in this area.

Far more issues experienced last monday and yesterday with heavy flooding.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭hometruths

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Hi Schmittel....I have seen you ask this question twice now.

Really not sure anybody on here can (or should) give you the assurance that you are looking for!

If it were me, if at all possible, with potential of 100/110kmh gusts, I would be trying to avoid forests in the mountains at night!

Thanks, decision made. Second time round I was really asking whether I was reading chart correctly, before I made the decision!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Ophelia was different jam altogether. It’s wet and windy here but nothing I haven’t seen countless times without the Facebook and tabloid hype.

Mod Note: Clonmel1000 You have made your point . Time to move it on now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Sounds way stronger than anything during Ophelia. Rain battering my window and wind howling

It would help if posters told us where they. Can't be seen on phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Bishopsback

Its been very wet here in Longford for the last hour or so, but nothing of note on the wind front, in fact near calm with rain virtually falling vertically.

leaving Facebook and tabloids aside ..... Ophelia was a storm, Brian is a storm ... Their severity differs depending on location ... For some a wet and windy day for others it results in damage ... That's why boards is a good resource with plenty of updates from knowledgeable people and results posted from the latest runs so you can form an opinion based on facts, Because of it I was reasonably prepared for how severe Darwin would be here on the Dingle peninsula.

Forget the tabloids :D

Just saw the mod note after posting:

While Im editing ... Heavy rain and scary gusts here .... My wood burning stove is rumbling :P

• Advertisement

North Leitrim

No rain (a little drizzle at best)
    No wind (not even a light breeze)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I was listening to the BBC weather forecast this morning and they, (unusually), made a point of saying that it was the Irish Met service that decided that Brian was a named storm. Met Eireann has always maintained that the decision to name storms is always a joint decision between the Irish and British Met services.
    It sounded as if they did not agree on this occasion.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I was listening to the BBC weather forecast this morning and they, (unusually), made a point of saying that it was the Irish Met service that decided that Brian was a named storm. Met Eireann has always maintained that the decision to name storms is always a joint decision between the Irish and British Met services.
    It sounded as if they did not agree on this occasion.

Either can call it without consultation. The UKMO have named storms that have not effected Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    It's gotten very windy and wet here in Laois in the last 20 minutes or so

I'm in Laois and it's very unpleasant Out there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Raining in howth. On the pier having breakfast and the one morning I couldn't put my hands quickly on my camera:(

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Very strong and sustained winds and driving rain here in Kilcullen Co Kildare, every bit as bad as last Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

Very strong winds and driving heavy rain here in Kildare now

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

Have to drive from cork to killarney with kids in car. I don't really want to cancel as kids are excited but unsure . Anyone any updates ??

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Firhouse, SW Dublin, heavy squally rain and strong gusts of wind, and the storm isn't even here yet. It's actually worse rainwise than Ophelia was.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Nice and fresh in Galway, on Monday I recorded gusts over 70 mph today the highest was 35 mph

Advertisement