Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Brian : Orange Wind Warning Sat 21 -10-17

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭littlema

Very heavy rainfall hammering off the window in severe gusts up on our ridge in s sligo..... 152m asl.
    "Nasty, nasty day" as The Donald would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Dry and blustery in Galway city since 12 today ,

Not dry now fairly coming down in a chilly wind

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I think it’s gotten more blustery as the day has gone on in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lenny5

Very gusty in castlebar. Prolonged stong winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

ASCAT winds at 12:28 today, showing up to 40 knots off the south and southwest coast. Around 45 knots right at Sherkin.

37125921694_86d477b552.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It's as windy up here in far north donegal now as it was the night of Ophelia

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭otherfrog

3wac8Na.png?1

Via EirGrid - a new record for wind generation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Not dry now fairly coming down in a chilly wind

http://weather.nuigalway.ie/12HourTrends.php

3mm at 7am. 0.8mm since then.

Winds peaked between 2pm and 3pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

What is that big storm that was heading in Icelands direction today showing on ME forecast after the news, if that headed our way we would have to build bunkers 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

secman wrote:
    Your medal is in the post..... With the amount of tree's that fell and the lack of cars on the road ...lives were definitely saved. I went to work on Monday up to about 2 o'clock. Driving home it was like driving on Christmas day and that fact my friend definitely saved lives. You are probably 5 to 10 years senior to me, when I was a kid traffic volumes were minuscule compared to now, where i lived , 3 cars on the road, now it's 3 cars per house.

If I am correct, 5 died in one car /tree fatality alone during Storm Debbie. So, yes, a lot may have died if a red warning hadn't issued. 2 of the 3 fatalities could have seen multiple fatalities easily.

Incidentally, I drove this morning and conditions were exceedingly poor in North Laois. Rivers ready to burst banks around Mountmellick. Barrow, Owenass. Many trees may fall from here as the land is saturated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

What is that big storm that was heading in Icelands direction today showing on ME forecast after the news, if that headed our way we would have to build bunkers ��

Thankfully turns out to be a fish storm. Tonight it's an impressive 938Hpa but slowly fills out in the Atlantic well before reaching Iceland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,649 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

What is that big storm that was heading in Icelands direction today showing on ME forecast after the news, if that headed our way we would have to build bunkers ��

Nah, as I mentioned before, it'll stall out before getting anywhere near us:

ECM1-72.GIF

ECM1-96.GIF?21-0

ECM1-120.GIF?21-0

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Is Storm Brian all but done now?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

pilly wrote: »

Yep. Better day tomorrow . Monday fine and dry .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Escaped the wind in meath today but not the rain, it was horrendous between 10.30 and 1.30, fields flooded, which led to brown filthy water running out onto the roads, cleared up around 2 and has been dry since

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

pilly wrote: »

Yes its all over now. Back to normality . Whatever that is!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Flew out of Cork this morning at 11am. Captain comes over the speakers as we’re on the runway “we can’t take off right now as there are crosswinds of 42kts & the max allowed for this aircraft is 36kts. We’ll take off as soon as they die down.”

Not 30 seconds later we’re full speed down the runway & just as we take off, plane tilts sideways fast & back level again straight away. Few gasps!!

Little bit turbulent then for a while on the way up. Rest of the flight was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

Howling in NW

Storm Brians highest gust was 113kph

NOT 130 kph

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

Autochange wrote: »
    Yes its all over now. Back to normality . Whatever that is!

Not here in NW Clare it hasn't. Wind still very strong. Just had to go out and resecure garden seat which is in a sheltered position and had been anchored down.
    Something I have noticed is that the gusts are almost constant with very little respite between them.
    Showers have abated a little too but still far from over here as yet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Still windy in Westport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Miss Tequila

Windy in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭circadian

Almost constant wind in North county Dublin.

Very windy in Sligo since about 5pm and still going strong now at 11.10pm!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Gusting in south Sligo now - more than anytime today...what's this? Storm Ciaran?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

No this is our normal weather in Sligo again.

The storms are over

Gales in NW Ireland happen the other days

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭Pretzill

pauldry wrote: »
    No this is our normal weather in Sligo again.

The storms are over

Gales in NW Ireland happen the other days

Too true Pauldry and we laugh in the face.of yellow rain warnings - :) it's been lashing on and off since September!

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

Wouldn't say all over yet! (Although it most likely is, but something is causing this wind!) Just got signal to post this now. Currently down in west cork, owenahincha beach. Very very windy and Gusty still, can hear it rolling over the roof along with slates moving slightly. Ocean sounds mighty rough and very close to the dunes (very high tide). Was at galley head earlier and was being blown off my feet ( blown backwards) along with the water pounding the rocks, I've never seen it so rough (wasn't down here during Ophelia though! Came down to check our house down here. Some damage alright but that's from Ophelia not Brian). Either way still very windy here, so there must be some remeants somewhere around here!
    Earlier on long strand beach had the water up the farthest I've ever seen it, and I could see how far it went with Ophelia which was up very steep hills. Amazing really what these systems do!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Finally gone quiet here ....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Tipped out at 61 knots at Sherkin (113kph).

57 at Valentia and 55 at Shannon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Newport Co.Mayo was gusting 62 knots on the 5pm met reports yesterday.

Advertisement