Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't go on annual Christmas trip to London, how to tell boss?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭traveller0101

Y - I tend to find.jolly teambuilding events the hardest work I do and absolutely tedious and painful - but managers & HR put a lot of effort into them and like it or not combining a Christmas party with one is just a cost saving exercise. Likely nobody will want to go but saying so far in advance that you cant will look as if you (naturally) just want to not go (same as everyone else). The OP may feel secure in his excuse but what if they ask him if he is the sole carer? or how serious the illness is and can they expect further unavilibility for team events or important company events. That is likely to.be an outcome and althlough HR will pretend to care and be supportive you can sure a whole.lot of scrutiny will be put on him after this and it will.follow him. NOBODY wants to.go.away with work or to spend a.few days at christmas time away but unless it is a spouse on deaths door in hospital (God forbid) or a very serious illness where you are the only living relation that can help their specilised.medical care and they cannot be admitted.to.hospital I would be saying nothing and getting my wheelie suitecase and work-holiday valium ready.

:eek: I am horrified at the thought of working anywhere like that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

:eek: I am horrified at the thought of working anywhere like that

Y - -yhere are lots of them out there and having sat at the other side of the table people would be appalled at how strategically these things are used to remove or destroy a persons progression or prospects in a company. Its a cut throay world and people want simply no issues or problems - we are not far away from creating an entirwly different structire and expectation of behaviour in corporate world that leave very little scope for humanity or compassion and is edging ever closer to a stepford wives model.

Advertisement