Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2017-18 Emirates FA Cup

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

BBC showed a clip. I wouldn't describe it as a punch, he swung his arm and caught the fan.

Yeah looked more like a push. Clearly shouldn't have done it, but what the hell is the fan doing on the pitch anyway, nevermind mouthing at players?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

That's what it's all about

Agreed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Fully support Aguero. All fans on the pitch should be treated as a treat. They have no business being there and there were not "overcome with emotion" either. Wigan should have the book thrown at them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

We saw the real Pep throughout last season when he was rude to journalists, abrasive and patronising.

He is not a good loser.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

What makes people so sure it was a Wigan fan with Aguero?
    Could just as well have been a City fan angry that they had lost. :confused:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Ugly scenes involving Man City supporters there, Aguero lashing out at a fan, to add to poor behaviour from Pep earlier. This is not on and the FA needs to act. A 17 point deduction should suffice.

They would only go on to win the league by 15 points then..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

They showed it on the BBC and Lineker pointed it out.

People moan about the FA cup losing its passion - then Mr Nice (linekar) tut tuts any outburst of real passion - Football is emotional , can't stand Linekar and his prudish outrage - while he's paid a fortune to do so -

well done to Wigan though -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

SlickRic wrote: »
    We saw the real Pep throughout last season when he was rude to journalists, abrasive and patronising.

He is not a good loser.

Considering the Agenda against City he's well entitled to call out the journalists for what they are. Why would he be a good loser? it's all about winning in this business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Considering the Agenda against City he's well entitled to call out the journalists for what they are. Why would he be a good loser? it's all about winning in this business.

F*cking LOL!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

blueser wrote: »
    Tell me please, what City player or manager talked about the quadruple? Pep was asked about it, and said they'd try to win all competitions we were in. I don't recollect him saying we would win all 4. Quite the opposite. He said several times that we wouldn't win them.

Never said it was any of the City staff. It was the media, just look at the headline on BBC Sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

sligeach wrote: »
    Never said it was any of the City staff. It was the media, just look at the headline on BBC Sport.
    Fair enough. But there's nothing we can do about the media so it's bit strong to use that as a stick to beat us with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

GavRedKing wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/EPLStuff/status/965692398901710850

Just when you think you can somewhat like Pep, the mask slips and his true form comes out.

Ffs. Load of horsesh*t.
    Not a city fan but clearly theres nothing in this. Ederson pushes cook who rightly gets agitated, so pep steps in between them. And he doesn't "rush" the ref. Hes actually getting his players into the dressing room, sees aguero in the tunnel beside the ref and runs over to get him in too.
    The way social media twist this and every little incident just to suit their own agenda is f*cking sad.
    And gullible fans lapping it up is even sadder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

I despise everything about city. I detest pep and think he's the worst loser in world football. I also think Aguero is one if the nastiest players in the keague. However, that fan deserved all he got and more and if Aguero knocked his two front teeth out he may learn not to invade a pitch. What the **** is Aguero meant to do when someone is in his face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Lots of gloating on this thread . Not hard to know were their allegiances lie. No matter Mind The Gap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I despise everything about city. I detest pep and think he's the worst loser in world football. I also think Aguero is one if the nastiest players in the keague. However, that fan deserved all he got and more and if Aguero knocked his two front teeth out he may learn not to invade a pitch. What the **** is Aguero meant to do when someone is in his face.

What if it turns out that guy is a 15 year old? He could be in serious trouble. Can Aguero really afford to be hitting people on camera without a proven reason for defending himself? I think we’d all like to do the same as he did but having a happy fan saying stuff to you in your face doesn’t give you a legal right to wack him in the side of the head. Expect a complaint being investigated by the police tomorrow and Aguero getting a warning. The FA will give him a 3 game ban too or whatever they give for bringing the game into disrepute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Lots of gloating on this thread . Not hard to know were their allegiances lie. No matter Mind The Gap!

There’s no gap in the Cup?? There’s a Exit though ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Ugly scenes involving Man City supporters there, Aguero lashing out at a fan, to add to poor behaviour from Pep earlier. This is not on and the FA needs to act. A 17 point deduction should suffice.

Would you really rather Liverpool won the league over city? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Peps carry on should not come as any surprise.

He showed umpteen times last year how abrasive and dismissive he is of everyone when things don't go his way.

Showed the same last night, a petulant, spoiled rich kid.

Delighted for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Aguero was perfectly entitled to do what he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

GSPfan wrote: »
    What if it turns out that guy is a 15 year old? He could be in serious trouble. Can Aguero really afford to be hitting people on camera without a proven reason for defending himself? I think we’d all like to do the same as he did but having a happy fan saying stuff to you in your face doesn’t give you a legal right to wack him in the side of the head. Expect a complaint being investigated by the police tomorrow and Aguero getting a warning. The FA will give him a 3 game ban too or whatever they give for bringing the game into disrepute.

WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!

Was Kun supposed to ask yer man for his birth cert or something??? I'm no City fan, but onus was on Wigan to keep the pitch clear of fans, and I wouldn't be hard on Kun in this instance..... If we are playing 'whatiffery', what if yer man had a knife or something. Obviously, I'm exaggerating a bit, but the players don't know how the situation is gonna progress on that instance.

Either way, I'd expect both Wigan and City to face fines for the crowd trouble. Pity the Cup shock was avoided though, as Wigan beat City yet again in a big cup game, a large 2013 and 2014

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Yeah I don't blame Aguero for what he did. That Wigan fan was so close and there are some different angle videos doing rounds on twitter which shows that fan was very close to Aguero and even had his hands on the player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

blueser wrote: »
    sligeach wrote: »
    Well done Wigan. And that's the end of City and their quadruple talk.
    Tell me please, what City player or manager talked about the quadruple? Pep was asked about it, and said they'd try to win all competitions we were in. I don't recollect him saying we would win all 4. Quite the opposite. He said several times that we wouldn't win them.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/25765975

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

ziggyman17 wrote: »

You've quoted an article from 2014 - ridiculous!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Aguero can't get banned for that all he did was push away a fan that was in his face.

• Advertisement

Aguero can't get banned for that all he did was push away a fan that was in his face.

With his forearm, forcefully to the face..

He probably will get banned but I have every sympathy for him, we don’t know what was said, for all we know the fella could have slagged off his Mam or Wife and kids. I know if someone was in my face saying something about any of them, I’d be trying(and probably failing) to deck him.

Kun will definitely use self defence(the guy had his arms on him) and he thought he was under threat as his defence..

Wigan should also have a massive fine coming their way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Peps carry on should not come as any surprise.

He showed umpteen times last year how abrasive and dismissive he is of everyone when things don't go his way.

Showed the same last night, a petulant, spoiled rich kid

Delighted for him.

Delighted for him that he has been rewarded with a lot of money by being very good at being a footballer and subsequently very good at being a coach?

Yes , I agree, it is good to see the footballers and coaches get rewarded for their endeavours as well as all the other hangers on in the game.

Show me a good loser and i'll show you a loser etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

What the **** is Aguero meant to do when someone is in his face.

You know there are other options, right? I mean, you don't have to hit someone who gets in your face, or slags you off. Couldn't you do nothing? Couldn't you walk away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

GSPfan wrote: »

Ah come on he brushed him away with his hand. Whack.... that’s pushing it to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

You'd hope Aguero isnt punished. He was approached from behind during a pitch invasion and was handled by an opposition fan. He swung out backwards to push teh fan away. Thats what i saw in the video.

If players can't protect themselves during a pitch invasion then its a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

You'd hope Aguero isnt punished. He was approached from behind during a pitch invasion and was handled by an opposition fan. He swung out backwards to push teh fan away. Thats what i saw in the video.

If players can't protect themselves during a pitch invasion then its a problem.

Got to love fans, Evra kicks fan in the head in stands, fair play idiot fan deserves it, Aguero pushes fan on the pitch ban him and dock City points lol

Got to love fans, Evra kicks fan in the head in stands, fair play idiot fan deserves it, Aguero pushes fan on the pitch ban him and dock City points lol

What does Evra have to do with Wigan V Man City game in the FA cup?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

M!Ck^ wrote: »

About as much as Suarez biting and racially abusing someone but I’m not going to bring that up. No way.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I believe Evra got sacked by Marseille and banned from European competition for the rest of the season. I didn't see anyone looking for anything similar to happen to Aguero.

Evra kicks a fan this season
    Aguero pushes a fan this season

I am comparing the 2 most recent events that I know of where a player has been confronted by a fan and retaliated

Evra kicks a fan this season
    Aguero pushes a fan this season

I am comparing the 2 most recent events that I know of where a player has been confronted by a fan and retaliated

Evra was punished. Anyone can argue that Aguero should be facing a similar punishment.

Downplaying it by saying pushed, go way outa that.

You just wanted to make it about Evra because you believe all Utd fans will back him to the hilt, if you are going to post this type of stuff at least own it.

Evra was punished. Anyone can argue that Aguero should be facing a similar punishment.

Yes Evra was punished by UEFA and then sacked by the club, but he has signed for a new club who are not in European Competition therefore the punishment really means nothing.

Aguero may get a ban, just have to wait and see what the FA do.

The fan should also be caught and banned from grounds like that Everton fan was when he was caught on camera throwing a push/punch at a Lyon player in the Europa League game earlier this season.

There has also been instances where fans have been jailed for coming onto the pitch and confronting players.

You just wanted to make it about Evra because you believe all Utd fans will back him to the hilt, if you are going to post this type of stuff at least own it.

Evra went into the crowd. Aguero was on the pitch and somebody confronted him. There is a big difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Yes Evra was punished by UEFA and then sacked by the club, but he has signed for a new club who are not in European Competition therefore the punishment really means nothing.

Aguero may get a ban, just have to wait and see what the FA do.

The fan should also be caught and banned from grounds like that Everton fan was when he was caught on camera throwing a push/punch at a Lyon player in the Europa League game earlier this season.

There has also been instances where fans have been jailed for coming onto the pitch and confronting players.

He was sacked by the club and banned from European competition. It has a bit of an impact even in terms of looking for a new club it's restrictive.

As for Aguero, it was more than a push but probably deservedly so. If he gets a small ban then that's probably fair.

Evra and Aguero is Apples and oranges in terms of the circumstances that led to a fan being hit. Both deserve massively different degrees of action from the authorities.

duffman13 wrote: »
    He was sacked by the club and banned from European competition. It has a bit of an impact even in terms of looking for a new club it's restrictive.

As for Aguero, it was more than a push but probably deservedly so. If he gets a small ban then that's probably fair.

Evra and Aguero is Apples and oranges in terms of the circumstances that led to a fan being hit. Both deserve massively different degrees of action from the authorities.

And fans defended Evra for what he did and want the book thrown at Aguero

• Advertisement

Evra went into the crowd. Aguero was on the pitch and somebody confronted him. There is a big difference.

Not really, he went to the advertising boards on the side of the pitch, the crowd was a good 50m away from the pitch, a few loons hopped over the fences to confront him angrily.. he has a right to defend himself. In fairness so does Aguero as we don’t know what was said to him.

But they both should be banned. If he was to do that to an opposition player he would be looking at a heavy ban. He swung an arm at a fellas face.

What did Hazard get for kicking the ballboy? Was it just the 3 match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

astradave wrote: »
    Not really, he went to the advertising boards on the side of the pitch, the crowd was a good 50m away from the pitch, a few loons hopped over the fences to confront him angrily.. he has a right to defend himself. In fairness so does Aguero as we don’t know what was said to him.

But they both should be banned. If he was to do that to an opposition player he would be looking at a heavy ban. He swung an arm at a fellas face.

What did Hazard get for kicking the ballboy? Was it just the 3 match

There is a big difference as during a game you are in no danger. During a pitch invasion there is a risk to a player and they should be allowed defend themselves.

And fans defended Evra for what he did and want the book thrown at Aguero

The two are not mutually exclusive, most are saying that the fan deserved it and are defending Aguero’s actions but according to the letter of the law it could fall under violent conduct and he could/should be banned for it.

How do you know Evra wasn't provoked verbally?
    He clearly reacted to something.
    There is not a big difference.

the anti City agenda here is pathetic - I dont support them - but Wigan fans should not have been on pitch - they have history of not controlling ther own fans , and then objecting when opposition fans defend themselves - it was a great night for football , but the anti City vitriol from United fans here is sad.

ps and I understood when Cantona re-acted to provocation all those years ago. Footballers are human not robots.

thebaz wrote: »
    the anti City agenda here is pathetic - I dont support them - but Wigan fans should not have been on pitch - they have history of not controlling ther own fans , and then objecting when opposition fans defend themselves - it was a great night for football , but the anti City vitriol from United fans here is sad.

ps and I understood when Cantona re-acted to provocation all those years ago. Footballers are human not robots.

Where?

How do you know Evra wasn't provoked verbally?
    He clearly reacted to something.
    There is not a big difference.

I'd imagine evra was provoked verbally but he then went over to confront the crowd off the field of play. Aguero was on the field of play with somebody in his face. There is a big difference. If I was walking down the street and a gang of young lads where shouting at me from across the street I wouldn't go and confront them. If somebody came shouting in my face and I feared for my safety that is a different story.

Where?

maybe vitriol was the wrong word - but you certainly seam to be gloating with what happened -

as I said footballers are human , and will re-eact when **** happens be it Cantona, Aguero or Evra - Wigan should have controlled ther fans, and as I said this is not the first time - spoiling what should be a great night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Evra went out of his way to confront a fan behind the advertising boards and KICKED HIM IN THE HEAD.
    Aguero lashed out a a fan who had invaded that pitch who was in his face.
    Think there's a big difference. We've only seen one clip. Who's to say Aguero wasnt being jostled before that by other Wigan fans.
    In all of that, fair play to the Wigan 22 who was trying to stop Aguero go after the fan.

Thought it was an excellent game of football last night. Even though they got beaten City played really well (even with 10 men), they just couldnt break down or get that break against a superb defence. Both managers were respectful afterwards, shook hands, and were quite honest in their assessments.
    City fans should be ashamed though. They lose a game for the first time in ages and start firing sh*te onto the pitch. Pitiful.

• Advertisement

I'd imagine evra was provoked verbally but he then went over to confront the crowd off the field of play. Aguero was on the field of play with somebody in his face. There is a big difference. If I was walking down the street and a gang of young lads where shouting at me from across the street I wouldn't go and confront them. If somebody came shouting in my face and I feared for my safety that is a different story.

How can you presume if someone shouts verbal abuse that it wouldn't trigger an emotional response from someone receiving said abuse?

You have no idea of the context of what someone could say and how any given individual would react.

Advertisement