Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2017-18 Emirates FA Cup

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

This is now the standard for FA refs. Even when it's not about them, they have to make it about them. Even when it's about clear video evidence, it's about the refs. Now, its not just the man on the pitch who wants to make it about himself but the man watching the replays too.

Makes a mockery of the game but that's 2018 for you. Everyone wants recognition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

This is now the standard for FA refs. Even when it's not about them, they have to make it about them. Even when it's about clear video evidence, it's about the refs. Now, its not just the man on the pitch who wants to make it about himself but the man watching the replays too.

Makes a mockery of the game but that's 2018 for you. Everyone wants recognition.

So nobody dived tonight then? The referee and VAR were wrong?The players have no cases to answer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

BBC definitely said they were doing ABBA strangely

Like this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,827 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Willian was wrongly booked for diving. He was caught.

it was a peno and he shouldn't have been booked.

The ref was out to make a name for himself. He was basically a championship version of Mike Dean.

If those decisions had went against Norwich there would have been uproar across the board because their the underdogs.

No. My view of it was that the leg was there, he saw it, flicked his foot against it, and dived. The referee it seems though something similar, and the VAR didn't correct it after reviewing it.

Diving for penalties looked to be a big part of Chelsea's game plan tonight. If this is the future of VAR, then I'm all for it. I'm of the view that penalties are too easy got anyway, for example the Hazard one v Arsenal recently. Some contact is allowed when going for the ball in the penalty area, and if the VAR helps that, good.

The first dive was a joke, really obvious. I'd almost be of the opinion that Chelsea should face a fine for cheating, on the basis that 3 players were booked for diving in the same game, which is something I've never seen before
    Your view is wrong.
    Willian was clipped, clear as day. The Norwich defender even said he thought he'd fouled Willian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Panthro wrote: »
    Your view is wrong.
    Willian was clipped, clear as day. The Norwich defender even said he thought he'd fouled Willian.

No not clear as day at all.

Again, it's slightly subjective, but in my view Willian saw the leg, decided to go down, and was on the way down when he actually clipped the defenders leg.
    Certainly not clear as day, and if it was the VAR would have overturned it.

I thought the bog decisions were made correctly overall. One criticism was with a marginal offside in the first half, Batsuyi? In this case,even if the flag goes up, let it play through and if a goal is scored, come back for review. But some of the commentary on last night's game is plain crazy stuff.

Again, it's slightly subjective, but in my view Willian saw the leg, decided to go down, and was on the way down when he actually clipped the defenders leg.

So does the VAR adopt an "Is there anything to be said for another mass?" to contentious decisions, i.e. if you make a case at all for the ref's call it's allowed to stand?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Benimar wrote: »
    If the ref gave a penalty, the VAR would have left that decision stand too, even if he felt Willian was going down before contact.

That's a much bigger problem with VAR than not overturning something you haven't got.

If you get something where it might be an error to have given it, but 'not enough' of an error, that's a controversy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,827 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Your view is wrong.

I thought the bog decisions were made correctly overall. One criticism was with a marginal offside in the first half, Batsuyi? In this case,even if the flag goes up, let it play through and if a goal is scored, come back for review. But some of the commentary on last night's game is plain crazy stuff.
    Except he was no where near falling down
    He was going full speed at goal with the ball at his feet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

dfx- wrote: »
    That's a much bigger problem with VAR than not overturning something you haven't got.

If you get something where it might be an error to have given it, but 'not enough' of an error, that's a controversy.

I see what you are saying, but in that instance we are no worse off than if VAR didn't exist. The penalty (for example) would still have been awarded (incorrectly) by the on field ref, so the same decision would be made anyway.

I don't have a problem with only overturning obvious mistakes.

Put it this way. With no VAR, Willian would still have been booked, no penalty would have been awarded, BUT Leicester would have had a perfectly good goal disallowed on Tuesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Except he was no where near falling down
    He was going full speed at goal with the ball at his feet

I was of the view that he was tripped, but I saw a photo this morning (Guardian website I think) and he is going down before contact. You could make an argument that he 'anticipated' the contact, but thats a real grey area. Some will say its fair game, some will disagree.

Lets just say that I think I'd have given a penalty, but I can now see why the VAR didn't overturn it. (I reckon some VARs would overturn it, based on their interpretation of 'entitled to go down')

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

That was pretty sore looking for Lloyd, tries to do a Maradona and then wraps his neck around the post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Wigan on fire, Coventry on top, Bristol City ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Bristol v QPR was a championship game no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Irishman Padraig Amond starting in attack against Spurs, formerly of Shamrock Rovers and Sligo Rovers. Best of luck to him.

And Amond has scored!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

And Amond has scored!

Too easy for the home team... Great game for the neutral coys

And Amond has scored!

Wow, would be the perfect Irish football fairytale if he was originally from: http://www.newportmayo.ie/

A more than deserved lead at half time for the giant killers

Can't imagine Spurs will be that bad in the second half.

8000 away fans in an attendance of 14,000. More than most home games. Shame as they are a decent side, but understandable with Sisu as owners.

They'd probably sell off the FA Cup before they got to the end of the Wembley steps if they were to win it.

• Advertisement

I saw Wasps playing last weekend (?) the Ricoh, the pitch was a predictable disgrace by the end. Dunno how Coventry's home support could watch anything played on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

And Amond has scored!

Did the crowd go nuts?

Kane equalises. :(

Hopefully this go to a replay at least, Spurs will win 2-1 won't they

Gorgeous flick from son and Kane scores those those tap ins in his sleep

I saw Wasps playing last weekend (?) the Ricoh, the pitch was a predictable disgrace by the end. Dunno how Coventry's home support could watch anything played on that.

Yeah, they played Ulster last weekend in the pouring rain and Coventry played Swindon the day before in the snow. Wasps own it so it's probably 'fine' for rugby.

Even with the weather, it's very patchy and bare in some places, long grass in the box. The goalmouth of all places is the best maintained part.:pac:

Well done Newport, more than deserved the replay at Wembley,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I think Jake Humphrey does my head in more than any other football presenter and pundit after Richard Keys.

Two cracking goals 1_1 already Brazilian lad and Rodriguez

One.more for big Jay

• Advertisement

Lol enjoyable start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Is it OK to say this is hilarious so far in this thread? Hard to know where you are allowed to express your mirth when Liverpool are being beat.

What the actual f*ck? :pac:

Edit: Ruled out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Macca delighted there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Jayop wrote: »
    Is it OK to say this is hilarious so far in this thread? Hard to know where you are allowed to express your mirth when Liverpool are being beat.

No, because you'd be trolling? Exactly the same as the United thread, don't pretend you're different.

EDIT: utterly embarrassing misread, ignore this. apologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

No, because you'd be trolling? Exactly the same as the United thread, don't pretend you're different.

How the **** is thinking a team get beat trolling? It's completely bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Is VAR not only meant to get involved in the clear and obvious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Jayop wrote: »
    How the **** is thinking a team get beat trolling? It's completely bonkers.

Calm down buddy. Thems the rules, don't discuss on match threads please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I feel dirty cheering for a Pardew team. Will have to have a bleach bath after.

• Advertisement

Will need 10 mins added time at this rate

That is very soft for a peno. You see far worse than that at every corner.

And Firmino hits the woodwork.

The application of this VAR is awful. That's a hand on the shoulder peno given and potentional interfering with the GK peno

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Peno,this is funny,prob miss it

Lol all that wasted time for a pen like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

WBA can complain all they want but that was a stonewall penalty. Terrible effort though.

• Advertisement

This is mad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

lol this VAR is funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

Great to see the VAR being used. Really think the ref should be miked up though so we can hear what's been said but probably hard with all the bitching and moaning

sligeach wrote: »
    WBA can complain all they want but that was a stonewall penalty. Terrible effort though.

Very soft peno the theatrics made it look more but it's soft, without VAR it's never given

Imagine how many penos a game if they start being given. I'm fine with it either way as long as it's consistent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Why dont they freeze the clock when consulting VAR?

• Advertisement
Advertisement