Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2017-18 Emirates FA Cup

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Alan Pardewola pulls of a great result with West Brom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

CL or no trophy for Liverpool this year. On the flip side, you can put your house on them beating Spurs next weekend. Not sure about the Huddersfield game though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Well done WBU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Oh well **** it. No one really cares about the FA cup. Move on to Tuesday.

niallo27 wrote: »

Lol

• Advertisement

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Reverting to long balls I see

Enjoyable result

With the pitch side advertising saying "Play the Liverpool way". Lol.

Liverpool spending 75 million on VVD

He was dreadful tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

With the pitch side advertising saying "Play the Liverpool way". Lol.

I believe they just did for 90mins tbf so I can't see the joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Liverpool spending 75 million on VVD

He was dreadful tonight

The players around him make him look like a 20m player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Klopp has never got passed the 4th round since joining Pool.

Best chance of a trophy gone for another year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

We are allowed post conflicting opinions on here regardless of post count right?

it’s just I’ve never posted in this thread before and I’m weary that’s now a contributing factor in cards, the amount of previous posts in a thread.

Wary not weary and postcount is unimportant. Perhaps you should remove the potato field from your shoulder and discuss the games that were played today or maybe even yesterday. I will take no responsibility for where or what you post, that is your role. Of course that is a little off topic, what did you think of the game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Klopp has never got passed the 4th round since joining Pool.

Best chance of a trophy gone for another year.

Ahh now they're still darkhorses for the UCL or have you forgotten? :pac:

The VAR debacle really is taking away from what was a good performance from WBA. Nobody really giving them as much credit for what they did in the game as they deserve or analysing how poor Liverpool were.

Evans out with a hamstring may scupper his move to City or anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Didn't want to win it anyway, Niallo?

I believe thats copyright infringement.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Christ that Jake Humphrey is fair annoying

Stevie G has said twice that VAR is a work in progress

Like banging a ball against a wall

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Strange how Klopp played so many first team regulars then I guess or.. ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Christ that Jake Humphrey is fair annoying

Stevie G has said twice that VAR is a work in progress

Like banging a ball against a wall

The commentator was appalling in his opinion on VAR, basically was saying get rid of it already. It was barstool level of commentary.

It will take time, but it's a welcome addition to the game. It will effect the conversations post game though, potentially no more controversial decisions to argue over, but at least results will be fair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

Watched the full game and don't see the issue with the VAR?

Penalty correctly given and goal correctly disallowed because of it. If a couple of other checks are done to make sure decisions are correct I've no issue with that.

Maybe I'm in the minority

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I'm in favour generally but in its current incarnation the match going fan has no clue what is going on. That needs to be fixed or do you think that doesn't matter so much ?

jaykay74 wrote: »
    I'm in favour generally but in its current incarnation the match going fan has no clue what is going on. That needs to be fixed or do you think that doesn't matter so much ?

I imagine when it's fully rolled out, they'll do something similar to rugby and have replays in the stadium

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

Ah sorry, now I get the issue.

I mentioned in an earlier comment that I think the ref should be miked up so we can hear but I doubt the players show the same respect as in rugby so unlikely an option for live TV.

How would you propose to resolve? Do you think showing on big screen in ground would work? Don't see why it wouldn't personally but I know they don't show contentious decisions on it at matches (I think)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I imagine when it's fully rolled out, they'll do something similar to rugby and have replays in the stadium

Unless it's up on the big screen it's a waste of time imo. Someone paying 50 quid and more for a ticket to the game being excluded from a large part of the game isn't on. Even watching on TV it's really unclear whether it's gone to VAR or now.

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Some grounds just dont have space for a massive big screen I think. For contentious decisions I've heard it argued that that is because it shows potential mistakes the ref has already made and so undermines him. But thats not the case with these decisions, it brings some clarity to what is being discussed. Trciky one to solve but as it stands the people at the game have no clue.

Strange how Klopp played so many first team regulars then I guess or.. ?

Ah sure,the one positive is that it saves Klopp from losing another final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

They showed it on the big screen at the emirates in the 2nd leg of the carabao cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

As Anfield does not have a screen and as far as I know there is no plan to install one. Not sure where it could go unless it was slung out over the pitch on wires!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Jayop wrote: »
    Unless it's up on the big screen it's a waste of time imo. Someone paying 50 quid and more for a ticket to the game being excluded from a large part of the game isn't on. Even watching on TV it's really unclear whether it's gone to VAR or now.

But the VAR isn't designed or intended for those in the stadium. Match going fans are the least considered factor. It wasn't an unforeseen problem either.

Jayop wrote: »

That's what they do in rugby

dfx- wrote: »
    But the VAR isn't designed or intended for those in the stadium. Match going fans are the least considered factor. It wasn't an unforeseen problem either.

They should be a major factor. But even as a TV spectacle it's very poor. With rugby you see the angles that the var ref sees and it's part of the entertainment.

• Advertisement

Cricket the same and you can have that radio that you can hear the refs/umpires charting about it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Video Ref, specifically in football, is still a terrible idea. Cheers.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Cricket the same and you can have that radio that you can hear the refs/umpires charting about it too.

There is a difference though in rugby/cricket and soccer.
    Both rugby/cricket are very stop-start games,to be honest both need a bit of razzmatazz to waken up the crowd. Rugby also benefits from being able to hear the ref because it's nigh impossible to know what penalties are awarded for without it when at a game. Soccer suffers by being stopped and everyone in the stadium standing around for 3 minutes wondering WTF is going on.
    I don't know what the solution is, but it has to be sped up. Many Stadia don't show any replays at present for 'security' reasons, I can't see the police being too happy changing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

There is a difference though in rugby/cricket and soccer.
    Both rugby/cricket are very stop-start games,to be honest both need a bit of razzmatazz to waken up the crowd. Rugby also benefits from being able to hear the ref because it's nigh impossible to know what penalties are awarded for without it when at a game. Soccer suffers by being stopped and everyone in the stadium standing around for 3 minutes wondering WTF is going on.
    I don't know what the solution is, but it has to be sped up. Many Stadia don't show any replays at present for 'security' reasons, I can't see the police being too happy changing that.

Mic up the refs and VAR men during the decision and show it on the big screen.

I am a big fan of VAR, but it is essentially in a soft launch with all the teething problems inherent with that. All of the issues I have seen brought up can be easily resolved.

A few of these free kicks Chelsea have gotten are a joke. Hazard looks at the ref and it's a free.

Something something sheep shaggers etc!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

What a goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Get in. Brilliant by Kev there. And he's done that before (Bournemouth last season).

KDB doing a Coutinho 1-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

What a goal

If free-takers keep doing this, will walls have to stop jumping?

If free-takers keep doing this, will walls have to stop jumping?

The wall HAS to jump but there is nothing to stop a player lying across the wall nearest the free kick taker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The wall HAS to jump but there is nothing to stop a player lying across the wall nearest the free kick taker.

Like this? Is that actually allowed? 340AE61000000578-0-image-a-18_1462978514762.jpg

Why not?

As far as I know. Liverpool did it something on the same theme - Coutinho crouching behind rather than laying prone.

Anyway Cardiff so close to equalising and then going ahead.

Strange stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Johann.

This city game is confusing as fcuk, even without VAR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Ridiculous (and wrong) decision. Sane wasn't offside.

Impossible for the linesman or ref to tell if Sane was in direct line of sight. Nor was he offside.

Nothing wrong with that goal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

City were robbed of that goal. Awful decision.

Was Sane even in an offside position?

• Advertisement
Advertisement