Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canaries or Majorca

Options
  • 16-10-2017 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

any thoughts, Canaries or Majorca for a week of cycling

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭WMP

Depends on when you want to go. At this time of year it's got to be the Canaries. In spring Majorca is great. Majorca is also much bigger with a lot of variety whereas the Canary islands are very hilly. Not much flat road to be found at all. Up and down all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Which Canary island would be best?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Exiled1

Tenerife is very very hilly, a climbers paradise. Lanzarote can be quite windy but some good routes. Whichever floats your boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Gran canaria. Because it has maspalomas - great beach & great restaurants. Cycling also good:)

I am heading there in one month and a week. Though I wont do any serious cycling this time, just up and down to beach on a crappy hire bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

Been to both Lanzarotte & Majorca a number of times. Majorca has better cycling IMO. Lanzarotte is just too hard, feels like you are only ever going up or down hill. Majorca has more variety & has a few iconic climbs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

Was in Maspalomas this year and got a nice few spins in but as previous have said its up and down but the drivers are very courteous and don't cut you up or try and drive into you. Nice selection of bikes in FreeMotion as well

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

GC, just for the fact it has the "Free Motion" shops for hiring bikes or having your own repaired/cleaned as needed.. Also if you're not travelling as part of a group or on your own, you can go on some of the tours they run for all levels...

Though I mainly went MTB'ing and GC is perfect for it!

Majorca had snow and rain last Jan/feb whereas GC was dry and sunny, so always good weather..

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭deekster

There is no right or wrong, I just feel the need to see the word 'Mallorca' appear on this page. As you were.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 RobCyclist

Yup no wrong or right answer. If it was me I would go with LCD's advice and head to Majorca, love the island. 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Tenerife is beautiful and your pretty much guaranteed good weather no matter what time of the year you go however its all climbing, there are zero flat routes anywhere on the island.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Tenerife is beautiful and your pretty much guaranteed good weather no matter what time of the year you go however its all climbing, there are zero flat routes anywhere on the island.

I went in December last year the climb from sea level to where the cable cars are on Teide is amazing and worth doing twice!

Teno massif looks great for cycling but will probably be far from whatever accommodation you choose. I had no car so never made it over there. There may be cycling tours that will pick you up but of course that will add to costs.

The island has many other beautiful places but you will end up climbing and descending loads and probably coming back the exact same route you took.

The weather was amazing I was lucky enough to get 25c of sun every day without a drop of rain. Also as I was on the south of the island I think Teide offered shelter from the wind.

I wouldn't recommend it for a full cycling holiday but if you want a mixture of cycling some days and sitting by the beach drinking beer while everyone else in Ireland is miserable it's perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    GC, just for the fact it has the "Free Motion" shops for hiring bikes or having your own repaired/cleaned as needed.. Also if you're not travelling as part of a group or on your own, you can go on some of the tours they run for all levels...

not cheap though. You'll pay 20-30 euro to go on one of those spins, though that's cheaper if you hire the bike from them too. Plus, they're Germans so they leave nothing to chance. You'll sign a 20-page contract indemnifying them from ANYTHING that might happen.

But, it's a great spot, and in gran canaria they've expanded out from their base in Playa del Ingles and have now opened shops in Puerto Rico and Meloneras too. The one in Playa del Ingles is worth a visit though. Very impressive set-up, right by the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

1bryan wrote: »
    not cheap though. You'll pay 20-30 euro to go on one of those spins, though that's cheaper if you hire the bike from them too. Plus, they're Germans so they leave nothing to chance. You'll sign a 20-page contract indemnifying them from ANYTHING that might happen.

Austrians, and of course you have to sign an indemnity when taking part in any activity and hiring of bikes..

If I was going for a week/5 days there's no point in bringing your own bike..

For €159 you can get 5 days bike hire, 3 tours, now that's great value when you think of the cost of bringing your own bike, plane/taxi...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

i'm planning a trip with a group of mates to Mallorca in May, having cycled there briefly this year and absolutely loved it.

seems like there are plenty of options for whatever floats your boat, long gradual climbs, much steeper climbs, flatter quiet roads and amazing scenery :)

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Austrians

I didn't know that. I always assumed they were German. Whoever they are, fair play to them, they've built an amazing business out there for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Hide behind the post

i'm planning a trip with a group of mates to Mallorca in May, having cycled there briefly this year and absolutely loved it.

seems like there are plenty of options for whatever floats your boat, long gradual climbs, much steeper climbs, flatter quiet roads and amazing scenery :)
    Any recommendation on places to stay in Majorca? No shortage of options from websearch but if you have a reco would be great

Any recommendation on places to stay in Majorca? No shortage of options from websearch but if you have a reco would be great

yeah I stayed in Port de Pollensa this year and am going back to the same place. perfect location for access to cycling routes, loads of bike hire places, a lot of the hotels have bike storage facilities etc. the town seems to be popular mostly with cyclists and families and was busy in September, but not crazy.

we've booked for May next year and found that some places were already booked up, while the price of the place we booked went up by €100 for the 4 nights just after we booked.

this route from there to the lighthouse at Cap Formentor and back is around 40km and is simply an incredible cycle.

we'll be aiming for 1 or 2 spins like this when there next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Canaries or Majorca?
    If you're soft core - Majorca
    If you're hard core - Tenerife

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Just back from GC didnt really go to cycle but went into a bike hire shop in Mogán (Puerto Rico) to enquire as got the urge.
    Chap wouldnt hire a road bike for a day but offered me a hybrid...
    Carbon/Road bike minimum 3 day hire €22 a day but would leave at €60...didnt have my size so didnt bother. Lovely spot and plenty out and about. Asked one lad I seen and said it was very safe to cycle there.
    Book in advance as they hired cars, motorbikes and push bikes.

anyone going to GC should beware that the GC-500 around the south of the island is closed after Arguinegin so there's no access for bikes across towards Puerto Rico and Mogan, if coming from the Maspalomas side.

Still, lots of routes still happily open from the east side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

1bryan wrote: »
    anyone going to GC should beware that the GC-500 around the south of the island is closed after Arguinegin so there's no access for bikes across towards Puerto Rico and Mogan, if coming from the Maspalomas side.

Still, lots of routes still happily open from the east side.

It's still not open and that's a lovely route, and does limit loops you can do a bit on that side of island Thought it would have been cleared by now

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

el tel wrote: »
    Canaries or Majorca?

Tenerife is very tough, spent a week there in the summer, hit the road about 7:30 every morning and climbed Teide to the top one day, very testing climb that one but there are plenty other routes if you like climbing, very easy to do a 100km spin and end up climbing 3000mtrs

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭SwissToni

NBar wrote: »
    It's still not open and that's a lovely route, and does limit loops you can do a bit on that side of island Thought it would have been cleared by now

Sounds like there may be access for cyclists,

http://thecanarynews.com/2017/10/30/mogan-forced-to-close-part-of-the-gc-500-for-at-least-two-months/

el tel wrote: »
    Canaries or Majorca?

proud to be a softie :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Any opinions on Lanza?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Exiled1

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Any opinions on Lanza?

Can be very windy. However there are some great routes with mixtures of climbing, descending and flat. You just need to be careful with direction on occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

MojoMaker wrote:
    Any opinions on Lanza?

Wind blows in from Africa. If your staying on the east side it makes the run home more interesting. Saying that some really quiet roads with great tarmac and some interesting sightseeing out and about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

SwissToni wrote: »

That’s completely separate to the part that has been closed since June. The blocked part is right above Puerto de Mogán and is impassable. You can still head westwards by going up Soria and taking the broken road over to Presa de las Niñas.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭keizer

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Any opinions on Lanza?

Renners in PDC are good to rent bikes from.

Also check buenobike.wordpress.com - a guy form Clare who does road bike tours there.

• Advertisement

spyderski wrote: »
    That’s completely separate to the part that has been closed since June. The blocked part is right above Puerto de Mogán and is impassable. You can still head westwards by going up Soria and taking the broken road over to Presa de las Niñas.

yeah, I believe that the remaining closure is due to a rockslide. They can be pretty severe in that part of the world. I heard early spring touted as the date it might reopen.

Go luck going across that broken road. 5km of hell!

Advertisement