Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canaries or Majorca

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Don't want to start a new thread so I thought I'd resurrect this one as there is some good advice in previous posts - any updated recommendations for Majorca? Specifically, 1) hotel and/ or 2) bike rental and/ or 3) tour groups?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

Flanders

lizzylad84 wrote: »
    Flanders

Can't see myself catching much sun and sand there. Thanks all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I probably mentioned on previous pages - I've stayed in Puerto Pollensa twice, once with family once with mates. Stayed in Hoposa complexes both times, lovely pools, bike rental and excellent bike storage on site, beach maybe 200m away and town probably 700-800m.
    The hotel part I think is called Villaconcha and apartments across the road I think were Montelin.

Then for cycling you've easy access to Cap Formentor and not too far from Sa Calobra and all the amazing climbing/scenery around that region.

I probably mentioned on previous pages - I've stayed in Puerto Pollensa twice, once with family once with mates. Stayed in Hoposa complexes both times, lovely pools, bike rental and excellent bike storage on site, beach maybe 200m away and town probably 700-800m.
    The hotel part I think is called Villaconcha and apartments across the road I think were Montelin.

Then for cycling you've easy access to Cap Formentor and not too far from Sa Calobra and all the amazing climbing/scenery around that region.

stayed in that hotel also, 2 years ago with the family, and did a bit of cycling, bike hired from the hotel, everything you need, will be going back ASAP!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Hôtel Panorama Porto Pollenca for that authentic pro tour 2 star vibe.
    Basic, cheap, perfect! :D

Loadsa bike hire places, we've used a few of them. They all seem to know what they're doing. No complaints at all.

Thanks guys! The other half isn't entirely aware that my primary motivation for our holiday is a bit of cycling for me, so might have to bump up from the authentic 2 star option :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Londonirish72

Mallorca for me. I spent a week in Lanzarotte about 5 years ago and it was ok. The main developed part of the island is quite built up and caters very much for the 9am pints and full English breakfast crowd. The interior is very pretty with good road quality but the wind is a huge factor here so you'd need to take it into account when planning your route for the day.

In Mallorca old town Pollenca is much prettier and has better restaurants though almost all the bike rental places are in Porto Pollenca - they are I think approx 8km apart. I appreciate that the port is a handier location but parts of it are quite ugly whereas Pollenca (old town) has some real charm and is lovely to stroll around in the evenings.

There's tons of great routes to try in Mallorca but if possible try these
    Cap Formentor (as mentioned above)
    Bike taxi to Andratx and cycle the Ma-10 back to Pollenca (this is arguably one of the most spectacular cycle rides in Europe)
    Sa Collabra - most people cycle out the Ma-10 from Pollenca to get into the mountains but before the big climb there is a long low gradient uphill drag that is no fun if the wind is in your face. When I was there last we found a better route into the mountains. We cycled out the Ma-2200 out of Pollenca and took a right after 2-3km onto Cami Vell de Pollenca which is a beautiful quiet road that leads to Campanet, then Selva where there's a lovely (shaded) climb to Lluc and you are in the mountains proper then.

If you need a recovery day have a look at going south into the centre of the island. Again, more quiet country roads but it is mostly flat. There are some busy towns but I'm sure you can plan a nice route around them.

As for bike rental. Avoid Procycle Mallorca - they were a joke when I used them. The next year I rented a Pinarillo from the Pinarillo Experience and everything worked out much better. There is an English guy renting Independent Fabrication titanium bikes in Pollenca if you fancy something different.

Bike taxi to Andratx and cycle the Ma-10 back to Pollenca (this is arguably one of the most spectacular cycle rides in Europe)

I did this and it was pretty incredible. The bus transfer down p1ssed us off a bit as we weren't cycling until 9:30am if I remember correctly but the route was amazing.

Mallorca for me. I spent a week in Lanzarotte about 5 years ago and it was ok. The main developed part of the island is quite built up and caters very much for the 9am pints and full English breakfast crowd. The interior is very pretty with good road quality but the wind is a huge factor here so you'd need to take it into account when planning your route for the day.

In Mallorca old town Pollenca is much prettier and has better restaurants though almost all the bike rental places are in Porto Pollenca - they are I think approx 8km apart. I appreciate that the port is a handier location but parts of it are quite ugly whereas Pollenca (old town) has some real charm and is lovely to stroll around in the evenings.

There's tons of great routes to try in Mallorca but if possible try these
    Cap Formentor (as mentioned above)
    Sa Collabra - most people cycle out the Ma-10 from Pollenca to get into the mountains but before the big climb there is a long low gradient uphill drag that is no fun if the wind is in your face. When I was there last we found a better route into the mountains. We cycled out the Ma-2200 out of Pollenca and took a right after 2-3km onto Cami Vell de Pollenca which is a beautiful quiet road that leads to Campanet, then Selva where there's a lovely (shaded) climb to Lluc and you are in the mountains proper then.

If you need a recovery day have a look at going south into the centre of the island. Again, more quiet country roads but it is mostly flat. There are some busy towns but I'm sure you can plan a nice route around them.

As for bike rental. Avoid Procycle Mallorca - they were a joke when I used them. The next year I rented a Pinarillo from the Pinarillo Experience and everything worked out much better. There is an English guy renting Independent Fabrication titanium bikes in Pollenca if you fancy something different.

Super info... thanks! Agree on Lanzarote - was there a couple of years ago on a non-cycling break - lovely roads, interior is nice, but seems to lack any real climbs and much higher chance of a windy spin. Will be very interested to see what Mallora is like...

• Advertisement

I'd suggest to go out early if possible, the road to Cap Formentor for example is best experienced early in the morning before traffic gets heavy. My first time there I headed out around 7am and had the road to myself (was in September). It's a simply incredible cycle and the view as you come around the corner to see the lighthouse is amazing.

The video here gives a nice sense of what it's like :D

We have a family place not far from Palmanova and I always use these guys for bike hire https://www.libertysport.es/

I have no idea what a "Denti" bike is, I have a feeling they buy in their own frames and build them up, but they are all carbon, with Ultegra groupsets and Fulcrum Racing 5 wheels. Although they aren't a sexy brand, they are all meticulously well looked after and the owner is an Italian ex pro (Danny) who makes sure you are all set up.

As London Irish says, the M10 is a stunning ride. I have only done it north to south to Esporles, which means I have only come down Puig Major, not up it. I'll leave that to the younger/fitter guys.

I have done the M10 Andratx to Esporles a few times and it is stunning, as is the Andratx - Es Capdella - Puigpunyent - Esporles. The Former takes you up coll de sa Bastida and latter es Grau.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Londonirish72

I'd suggest to go out early if possible, the road to Cap Formentor for example is best experienced early in the morning before traffic gets heavy. My first time there I headed out around 7am and had the road to myself (was in September). It's a simply incredible cycle and the view as you come around the corner to see the lighthouse is amazing.

The video here gives a nice sense of what it's like :D

I understand that they close this road to cars in high season and run a park & ride option instead, but I'd agree with Mr Spickler that you are better off doing this ride in the morning.

Planning to head over in mid September... starting to get a bit excited having read a few of the above posts... which means NPHET's ears are probably burning and an emergency meeting is being called to discuss how to f**k up my travel plans :pac:

Paddigol wrote: »
    Planning to head over in mid September... starting to get a bit excited having read a few of the above posts... which means NPHET's ears are probably burning and an emergency meeting is being called to discuss how to f**k up my travel plans :pac:

I was planning to go back in mid September but mates wanted to try somewhere new so we're off to Girona then instead. The worsening Covid situation has us rightly on edge! Hopefully you get there and have a great time, it's a simply amazing place to cycle.

I was planning to go back in mid September but mates wanted to try somewhere new so we're off to Girona then instead. The worsening Covid situation has us rightly on edge! Hopefully you get there and have a great time, it's a simply amazing place to cycle.

Girona sounds great too in fairness. If I was going purely for cycling I'd be very tempted, but need to throw in RnR/ beach means its somewhere like Mallorca or Canaries this year. Let us know how you get on in Girona if/ when we manage to get on a plane!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Sbefort

I can suggest Soller in Mallorca. I know the guys in Kilometro Cero Mallorca and they are really nice. They are the only place that rents out Pinarello on the island. They also have Specialized. They organise bike tours for all levels and they have a hotel/restaurant dedicated to cycling camps.

Sbefort wrote: »
    I can suggest Soller in Mallorca. I know the guys in Kilometro Cero Mallorca and they are really nice. They are the only place that rents out Pinarello on the island. They also have Specialized. They organise bike tours for all levels and they have a hotel/restaurant dedicated to cycling camps.

Thanks for the info... will def look into them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭griffin100

We spent a few days in Tenerife in November 2019 just before Covid and I would recommend it.

Stayed in an apartment in Costa Adeje we booked on Booking.com and flew with Ryanair. All we needed to bring were pedals. We hired Cervelo R3 discs and helmets from https://bikepointtenerife.com/

All in cost about €350.

Some great climbs (and descents) and routes in Tenerife, especially Masca and Teide.

Only problem is that nowhere is flat once you leave the coast :), but the climbs are great, the scenery is stunning and there's very little traffic once you head inland. Lots of little towns and villages with no tourists and relaxed atmosphere - spent far too much time drinking coffee in the sun. We found drivers to be really patient and give lots of room so was really relaxed.

It was dry every day we were there and 22/23 degrees. I'm dying to get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

Sbefort wrote: »
    They are the only place that rents out Pinarello on the island.

There’s a Pinarello Experience rental shop in Porta Pollenca. Used them once and it was fine. Prefer to use local rental places though rather than ‘ex-pats’.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

A good opportunity to test your Spanish

https://www.canarias7.es/canarias/canarias-bate-record-20210702001250-nt.html

basically, the covid situation is worsening out there again, unfortunately. Well, part from Lanzarote, which seems to be doing fine.

I'd avoid Tenerife. Since the start of covid, thats been the hotbed of cases in that part of the world.

Gran Canaria is like a second home to me and the wait to go back is killing me. But it might still be a little too soon to get booking. Depends on how willing you are to take the risk of heading straight into lockdown when you arrive - they're not at that level yet, but they've been very reactive to raising/lowering their alert levels depending on case numbers.

Advertisement