Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pigsback voucher redeemed but unable to use.

Options
  • 16-10-2017 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

Was supposed to go to a hotel today for the night using a pigsback offer. Obviously with the red weather warning we didnt want to travel especially with a newborn. I tried to ring the hotel but was no answer. I then emailed the reception and followed up with a facebook message but no reply. Just wondering if you think i would have grounds to change the date. I did ask to postpone till next monday but like i said i never heard back. The red warning was issued last night and i immediatley contacted the hotel.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Legally they don't need to do anything, but may do due to the exceptional circumstances.

Give them time to respond - I'm sure they had more important things to do yesterday than check their emails and facebook pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Legally they don't need to do anything, but may do due to the exceptional circumstances.

+1 If they are a decent employer and paid their staff the day's wages, bear that in mind in case you get upset if they tell you that they won't refund you. Means they had the same costs to bear as if you had turned up and stayed the night.

On the other hand, you could claim that you showed up and found the place was closed despite you not receiving any notice of this in which case you would have a case for a refund or replacement booking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

coylemj wrote: »
    +1 If they are a decent employer and paid their staff the day's wages, bear that in mind in case you get upset if they tell you that they won't refund you. Means they had the same costs to bear as if you had turned up and stayed the night.

On the other hand, you could claim that you showed up and found the place was closed despite you not receiving any notice of this in which case you would have a case for a refund or replacement booking.

Perhaps check if it was closed before making claims like this.

If it was open and op chose not to travel then he has no grounds to have his booking changed and it's up to the hotels goodwill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

So you say tell a lie to a business to get money back?

That's plain dishonest.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,023 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Fraudulent; and going to make you look ridiculous if they were actually open. They'd also probably have expected you to stay elsewhere and look for the cost of that specifically rather than just going home (in a hurricane).

Do not encourage people to commit fraud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

L1011 wrote: »
    Fraudulent; and going to make you look ridiculous if they were actually open. They'd also probably have expected you to stay elsewhere and look for the cost of that specifically rather than just going home (in a hurricane).

It's not fraud if he claims that they were closed and they actually were.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Ive no intention of lying. Just followed government and garda warnings of dont drive unless completely necessary....

Update pigsback have asked me to request a cancellation doc from the hotel. The problem is they arent responding. Think ill write it off and put it down to experience

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    Ive no intention of lying. Just followed government and garda warnings of dont drive unless completely necessary....

Update pigsback have asked me to request a cancellation doc from the hotel. The problem is they arent responding. Think ill write it off and put it down to experience

I wouldn't give up yet, it's only been one day, try ringing them tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,541 ✭✭✭✭Varik

It's not fraud if he claims that they were closed and they actually were.

Very unlikely the hotel was closed, at worst they'd not be taking new bookings and offering refunds.

There would have been guests already there so not likley they were going to close fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

All sorted folks. Hotel got in touch. Were gonna stay this monday instead. Was annoyed about the lack of contact but the guy i was talking to rectified the situation. Cant ask any more then that

• Advertisement
Advertisement