Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eurovision 2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

Only Teardrops for Royaume-Uni methinks

Christ- PicknMix- Pass!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,586 ✭✭✭✭An tUasal C

This song reminds me so much of a song but I can’t remember the title..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,321 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Little Mix-y

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

This song reminds me so much of a song but I can’t remember the title..

I was thinking the same thing

I had to have a goldstone removed last week.

*gets coat*

EPAndlee wrote: »
    I was thinking the same thing

The beat is the same as Just Can’t Get Enough!? That’s the half of it anyway..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

UK not going to win

giphy.gif

SuRie would get my vote anyway, I liked Asanda’s until near the end where it got far too messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

The beat is the same as Just Can’t Get Enough!? That’s the half of it anyway..

Getting that vibe from the chorus

Asanda was the heavy pre-show favourite, but pendulum seems to have swung to SuRie now.

• Advertisement

SuRie isn’t that Tom Cruises daughter??? Did she escape?

I’m getting Easterenderz actor on Children in Need special from Liam

Ah, Moldova :)

SuRie is 1/4 on Betfair now

POLI!!!!

I’m having a gleeful time here. :p

What does dog wee taste like? :pac:

Rylan trying to get into Mans boxers...

Meh, they’re no Brotherhood Of Man.

Just announce Mini Lennox already

• Advertisement

Never in doubt!

Well done, SuRie :)

It’s Mel and SuRi!

Glad for her, she deserved it. :)

On second listen, she sounds a bit like the Welsh singer Betsy.

Really love this song, hoping for a left side finish for her. My joint favourite with France at the moment.

Not a bad tune. Will I be seeing it in Lisbon? (I think so as UK vote in our semi)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It's an ok song imo needs some work...but I remember they did a good job with last year's entry after it won you decide.

I personally would have gone with Asanda much more current song, her voice wasn't perfect but it has bags of potential

And cos it was UK decision night, here's the last UK Winner:

21 years ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

And cos it was UK decision night, here's the last UK Winner:

21 years ago!

21 years ago was the last time Ireland came 2nd, with Mark Roberts and "Mysterious Woman"! This was, of course, one year after we last came 1st with Eimear Quinn and "The Voice" - 22 years ago!

That was the last time Ireland came 2nd, with Mark Roberts and "Mysterious Woman"! This was, of course, one year after we last cane 1st with Eimear Quinn and "The Voice".

And our highest since then was 6th in 2000 with the god awful Millennium of Love, which reminded me of the Fr Dick Byrne entry in Fr Ted Song for Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Amik

Really love this song, hoping for a left side finish for her. My joint favourite with France at the moment.

It's not "love" for me, more "like". I wouldn't turn it up if I heard it on the radio but I also wouldn't change the station. Right side of the board for me in Lisbon. :)

France is my clear favourite at the moment -- better singer and more meaningful lyrics.

• Advertisement

UK entry is a bit "meh" imo. She's a good singer and the tune is nice but the lyrics are too cheesy for my taste, and it gets very repetitive after a while. Don't see them finishing in the top half of the final with that tbh.

UK entry is a bit "meh" imo. She's a good singer and the tune is nice but the lyrics are too cheesy for my taste, and it gets very repetitive after a while. Don't see them finishing in the top half of the final with that tbh.

Almost all "meh" entries so far, I hope things turn for the better soon! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

they should tell her to do away with the nazi salute, *might lose votes

UK

Well first of all I'm delighted that that awful tripe by Asanda wasn't picked. Astronaut was by far my favourite before the show but the live performance by SuRie really won me over and I agree it was the best pick. Not only that but I feel it's the best entry the UK has sent since Jade Ewen back in 2009.

Is it going to win? No chance. Top ten even? Unlikely. I think it could sneak on to the left-hand side of the board though. I've actually been humming it since I heard it earlier tonight, and it's been a long time since I've done that with a UK song :pac:

Not only that but I feel it's the best entry the UK has sent since Jade Ewen back in 2009.

Agree with everything you wrote except this as I thought Molly in 2014 had a catchy tune.

Copenhagen was a great year, so many quality songs.

Amik wrote: »
    Agree with everything you wrote except this as I thought Molly in 2014 had a catchy tune.

I thought this was a great song and she has a great voice, cant believe it didnt make the final.

Apparently Ireland has already selected their entrant?!?
    https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2018/0131/937309-ryan-oshaughnessy-is-irelands-eurovision-hopeful/

I suppose better to reserve judgement until song released....but ex Fair City actor doesnt exactly fill me with confidence!

While you were all snoozing during the UK show I was watching night two of Sanremo 2018.

Il Volo from Vienna 2015 got a standing ovation!

https://twitter.com/SanremoRai/status/961342260943220736

Sting and Shaggy also performed.

My Annalisa dropped to the mid-tier after the press jury voting. :(

The bookies pick are risking disqualification from the contest!

http://wiwibloggs.com/2018/02/07/sanremo-2018-ermal-meta-fabrizio-moro-suspended/215795/

According to the Wiwibloggs poll: Who is Your Favourite Eurovision 2018 Act So Far, the masses seem to agree with the Boards.ie panel of experts:

2easarq.png

A snippet of Margaret's song for this Saturday's Melodifestivalen in Sweden is available:

https://www.svtplay.se/video/16891678/melodifestivalen-2018-lyssna-pa-latarna/melodifestivalen-2018-lyssna-pa-latarna-margaret-in-my-cabana?start=auto&tab=2018

Margaret was a hot favourite to represent Poland in 2016 but lost to Michal Szpak in the National Final.

Poland announces the contestants in their national final later today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

UK

Is it going to win? No chance. Top ten even? Unlikely. I think it could sneak on to the left-hand side of the board though.

Lucie would have finished on the left-hand side of the board last year had she not received so few televote points...

It would be a shame if SuRie finished on the right-hand side too. But que sera sera.

Amik wrote: »
    I thought Molly in 2014 had a catchy tune.

gmisk wrote: »
    I thought this was a great song and she has a great voice, cant believe it didnt make the final.

It *did* make the final. The UK always makes it... ;)

Molly was also unfortunate to finish on the right-hand side of the board. But of course, this was the year of Conchita, the Common Linnets - and Ruth Lorenzo. :);)

• Advertisement

Lucie would have finished on the left-hand side of the board last year had she not received so few televote points...

It would be a shame if SuRie finished on the right-hand side too. But que sera sera.

It *did* make the final. The UK always makes it... ;)

Molly was also unfortunate to finish on the right-hand side of the board. But of course, this was the year of Conchita, the Common Linnets - and Ruth Lorenzo. :);)

I was talking about Molly Sterling from Ireland which I had quoted....not the UK entry.
    I know the way Eurovision works I have been to it before lol

gmisk wrote: »
    I was talking about Molly Sterling from Ireland which I had quoted....not the UK entry.
    I know the way Eurovision works I have been to it before lol

Tbf though you weren't clear, I thought you were talking about the UK entry too as that's what we'd been talking about, and was the song in the post you quoted.

Tbf though you weren't clear, I thought you were talking about the UK entry too as that's what we'd been talking about, and was the song in the post you quoted.
    Ah no worries the video wouldnt play for me.

Two more entires confirmed:

Denmark:

Cheesy pop meets Viking balladry; for better or worse, it's certainly very Eurovision! :pac: Though even if it qualifies for the final I don't see it troubling the left hand of the scoreboard.

Italy:

It's definitely not as immediate or as catchy as "Occidentali's Karma" was. Will need a few listens to properly process. I do like elements of it but for me the arrangement is a bit too.....bouncy, for want of a better description! I think it would work better as a dark rock song, with the guitars turned up and the tempo slowed down. Also I'd prefer it if it was just the first guy singing; the second guy's voice is kind of annoying and he doesn't bring much to it.

Overall: possibly a top 10 finisher, but probably not a top 5 (unless the field is very weak this year)

We won’t qualify with the standard of dross we’ve been sending.

We need to step our pussies up!

Not sure what to think of Denmark. As a song it's actually not bad, but the presentation is all wrong, it's a bit difficult to take it seriously. Honestly the first thing I thought of was Latvia's Pirates of The Sea :pac:

Italy is ok, but I think will get far more jury than televote love.

Finally got to see the live version of La Forza and it is indeed pretty incredible. Should do very well in Lisbon if it's picked

Saara Aalto has released the first of her three songs that'll contend for Finland's place in the contest. I think it's quite a good song, but I'm not sure it'd work on stage at Eurovision?

Next national finals are Belarus on Friday and Montenegro on Saturday. After that it's Serbia on Tuesday 20th.

Italy:

It's definitely not as immediate or as catchy as "Occidentali's Karma" was. Will need a few listens to properly process. I do like elements of it but for me the arrangement is a bit too.....bouncy, for want of a better description! I think it would work better as a dark rock song, with the guitars turned up and the tempo slowed down. Also I'd prefer it if it was just the first guy singing; the second guy's voice is kind of annoying and he doesn't bring much to it.

Overall: possibly a top 10 finisher, but probably not a top 5 (unless the field is very weak this year)

Fantastic analysis, Homer H. Fong! I'm devistated my Annalisa placed 3rd. With the right song she can win Eurovision. Her time will come.

After hearing Italy's entry about 10 times now I have started to like it. My Italian colleagues tell me the lyrics are very good. While France's song touches on the migrants crisis, this song is about all the terrorist attacks/wars going on.

From Wikipedia:
    The song was written by both singer-songwriters together with Andrea Febo. The lyrics deal with wars across the world and terrorist attacks in Europe and Middle-East: the cities of London, Paris, Nice, Cairo and Barcelona are cited in the lyrics. The song was written consequently to the Manchester Arena bombing.[4]

The chorus of the song is cited from a previous song written by Febo (third author of "Non mi avete fatto niente"), titled "Silenzio" and submitted to the Newcomers' section of the Sanremo Music Festival 2016 performed by Ambra Calvani and Gabriele De Pascali.[5]

Do you think they'll need to sing a few lines in English to get the point across?

Saara Aalto has released the first of her three songs that'll contend for Finland's place in the contest. I think it's quite a good song, but I'm not sure it'd work on stage at Eurovision?

I won't be sleeping tonight after seeing that monster...YiKeS!

mu7a6h.png

Terrific melody and beat but the lyrics are too weak for me. Can't wait to hear the other songs she's going to offer. Got a feeling she'll give us a good show in May!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Dan man

Hopefully we will have a decent song this year, it is high time we shook off the loser tag that is very much plastered on our foreheads after years of poor entries. So good luck to Ryan :)

I listen to so much Irish music these days, there is so much talent out there that there is no excuse why we are enduring year after year of mediocrity.

A sample of Irish music from the last year and the type of fresh, modern music I would love to see us sending......

Retro sound, but great!

Advertisement