Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eurovision 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

My predictions having heard the songs:

Norway
    Denmark
    Russia
    Moldova
    Netherlands
    Australia
    Poland
    Romania
    Sweden
    Ukraine

I replaced Malta with Romania. Will stick with the rest.

Only called 7/10.

Surprised Russia, Poland and Romania missed out. Not because I liked them as I didn't, but I thought they'd get the support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

RobertKK wrote: »
    Norway
    Serbia
    Denmark
    Hungary
    Australia
    The Netherlands
    Moldova
    Sweden
    Ukraine
    Slovenia

My guess at who qualifies.

9/9

Come on The Netherlands...

Impressive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

I think Denmark will do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Ireland has some competition now, don't think we have a chance really. Top 12 maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

If Australia win will all of Europe have to schlep off down unda next year??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I'm ashamed to say the Swedish song is growing on me

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

jojofizzio wrote: »

No, they said on BBC if Australia wins, then someone else hosts it next year, likely one of the Big Five.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Nope they said earlier on BBC that it will be a European country with Australian support if Australia win.

Marty REALLY needs to get out more...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Slovenia!?!

I thought Poland would make it, glad Russia out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

9/9

Come on The Netherlands...
    CFlat wrote: »
    Delighted for the Netherlands. They deserved that.
    sonic85 wrote: »
    The Netherlands - YES!

Don't get the love for Dutch Country & Western rubbish at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Russia didn’t make the final!!

Someone is getting invaded tomorrow!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

So we've got Justin Timberlake, GunsNRoses, Therapy?, ...... Help me out here
    Oh yeah Jethro Tull...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,321 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Russia didn’t make the final!!

Someone is getting invaded tomorrow!!

*moves couch to bunker*

Nope they said earlier on BBC that it will be a European country with Australian support if Australia win.

That will be our best chance of having it next year then:)

That will be our best chance of having it next year then:)

If Australia win it, I’d be about 1,000,000,000% certain they’d hold in in the U.K.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,543 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The countries through to Saturday's grand finale are.....

Serbia
    Moldova
    Hungary
    Ukraine
    Sweden
    Australia
    Norway
    Denmark
    Slovenia
    The Netherlands

Not too bad I thought; I'm shocked that Sweden got in with that Bieber entry. The lucky feckers. I thought it would have been dumped.

Rybak in for Norway is no surprise there.

Although Russia being out is a big shock considering their own Eurovision status.

I'm happy that Hungary & Australia got through for Saturday though.

I also heard about China being banned from Eurovision Song Contest. Very good decision there from the EBU.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Am I good or am I good?

Fair play! I've never got 10/10, 9 is the best I've ever predicted.

Alexander Rybak going after Johnny Logan’s crown to win Eurovision twice.

:(

• Advertisement

Johnny won it 3 times.

Once as a singer
    Once as singer/songwriter
    Once as songwriter

Johnny won it 3 times.

Once as a singer
    Once as singer/songwriter
    Once as songwriter

Twice as a performer :blush:

Looks like it's not going to happen, they've fallen down the odds since their performance. Not entirely surprised, it felt a little flat to me, missing the energy of their NF performance.

Some surprises tonight! Biggest surprise was probably Poland going out, though I can't say I'm too sorry to see it go as I was never keen on it. I had thought Russia would potentially still make it but as well as the vocal being rough the whole performance was disengaged; it was like she didn't want to be there at all. Feel bad for Georgia, as I quite liked their entry. Also felt weirdly sad for Malta; I never liked the song but they put a lot of effort into it and I thought it would actually sneak through in the end.

As for the qualifiers: I knew Hungary, Sweden, Norway and Ukraine were safe but it was any other six after that; at one point I even thought San Marino stood a chance! I had a sneaky feeling about Slovenia (fake technical difficulties aside) but I thought Serbia would have proven a bit too strange to get through so was a bit surprised about that. I was also actually surprised at Denmark, because I thought it was very flat on the night. I must also admit that I do not get the appeal of Moldova whatsoever, but it seems to be really popular for some reason.

Ah well, roll on Saturday. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Some surprises tonight! Biggest surprise was probably Poland going out, though I can't say I'm too sorry to see it go as I was never keen on it. I had thought Russia would potentially still make it but as well as the vocal being rough the whole performance was disengaged; it was like she didn't want to be there at all. Feel bad for Georgia, as I quite liked their entry. Also felt weirdly sad for Malta; I never liked the song but they put a lot of effort into it and I thought it would actually sneak through in the end.

As for the qualifiers: I knew Hungary, Sweden, Norway and Ukraine were safe but it was any other six after that; at one point I even thought San Marino stood a chance! I had a sneaky feeling about Slovenia (fake technical difficulties aside) but I thought Serbia would have proven a bit too strange to get through so was a bit surprised about that. I was also actually surprised at Denmark, because I thought it was very flat on the night. I must also admit that I do not get the appeal of Moldova whatsoever, but it seems to be really popular for some reason.

Ah well, roll on Saturday. :D

I stuck a few pound on San Marino after their performance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

If we all(everybody who posted on this thread) went to San marino on Saturday and voted for Ireland we'd probably get 12 points from them..😂😂😂

• Advertisement

exaisle wrote: »
    If we all(everybody who posted on this thread) went to San marino on Saturday and voted for Ireland we'd probably get 12 points from them..������

San Marino is too small to have a televote, they use only a jury :p

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭M.Cribben

Great mix of genres gone through to the final.

Ireland now 11th on Oddschecker! :eek: Currently beating former favourites Bulgaria and Czech Republic. I'd be very happy with an 11th place finish on Saturday; tbh I'd be happy with anything above last place as it would make it our most successful entry since 2012! :pac:

Cyprus, Israel, Lithuania, France and Sweden make up the top five.
    Norway and Moldova are starting to drift a little, while Germany is moving the opposite direction and has worked its way up to 7th having been under the radar previously.
    UK is joint last with Albania.

And here's the running order! We're 24th of 26, before Cyprus (again) and after The Netherlands. Poor Spain got the dreaded 2nd spot; makes sense now that Lithuania has stolen their thunder! :p

France is looking like a decent shout now; they're performing after a run of unfancied songs in the end of the first half, while the big favourites in the second half are largely all stuck together.

https://eurovision.tv/story/exclusive-running-order-eurovision-2018-grand-final

01. Ukraine
    02. Spain
    03. Slovenia
    04. Lithuania
    05. Austria
    06. Estonia
    07. Norway
    08. Portugal
    — break position
    09. United Kingdom
    10. Serbia
    11. Germany
    12. Albania
    13. France
    14. Czech Republic
    15. Denmark
    16. Australia
    — break position
    17. Finland
    18. Bulgaria
    19. Moldova
    20. Sweden
    21. Hungary
    22. Israel
    23. The Netherlands
    24. Ireland
    25. Cyprus
    26. Italy

Ireland now 11th on Oddschecker! :eek: Currently beating former favourites Bulgaria and Czech Republic. I'd be very happy with an 11th place finish on Saturday; tbh I'd be happy with anything above last place as it would make it our most successful entry since 2012! :pac:

Cyprus, Israel, Lithuania, France and Sweden make up the top five.
    Norway and Moldova are starting to drift a little, while Germany is moving the opposite direction and has worked its way up to 7th having been under the radar previously.
    UK is joint last with Albania.

Was just coming here to post the exact same thing. We're now up to 10th, now ahead of Australia in addition to Bulgaria and the Czech Republic. I know it could so easily go the other way, but I've a feeling we could pull of a surprise top ten finish. A lot of earlier favourites are losing steam but we've seemingly come from nowhere. Germany and Italy are gaining momentum too, and Norway have slid to 8th favourite after briefly becoming the favourite to win at one point this week!

• Advertisement

24th is a great draw...makes a top 10 finish a more realistic prospect all the time...

In case you haven’t heard, the EBU have now barred Mango TV from airing the contest...good call.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/entertainment-arts-44078305

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

The hype train around Cyprus continues a plenty here in Lisbon

In case you haven’t heard, the EBU have now barred Mango TV from airing the contest...good call.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/entertainment-arts-44078305

...the publicity surrounding this can only help Ireland's chances...9th favourite now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

We are now 9th in the betting. Slowly moving upwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Have to admit I had Ireland written off before the Semi Final.

Jesus the Eastern Europeans take it very serious, they are tearing strips off each other over on Instagram, at the end of the day it's just a song contest.

Great draw for us, would be amazing if we could make the Top 10.

Does anyone else just not get Cyprus? I wouldn't begrudge them their first win but I just don't see what's so great about that song. I think it's the first year ever that I don't know who I want to win.

gmisk wrote: »
    Slovenia!?!

I thought Poland would make it, glad Russia out

I thought Slovenia were quite good and the Polish one was sh1te.

Flying Fox wrote: »
    Does anyone else just not get Cyprus? I wouldn't begrudge them their first win but I just don't see what's so great about that song.

Cyprus have a song? :D

I'm quietly confident Ireland will do quite well on Saturday.

The song itself is decent enough (by far our best effort in many years). Its simple but catchy, and the message it carries will go a long way with Eurovision fans (just not so much in Russia and some other Eastern states).

I'd be confident of a top 10 finish, and optimistic of a top 5 placing, and who knows, maybe even win it (long shot I now, but could be done).

Other songs I like are Slovenia, and the Bulgaria song (I think it's Bulgaria, Lady Gaga, and 2 white & 2 black lads?)

Israeli song is a throwback to the horrible few years of Kitsch Eurotrash Eurovision, but I'll admit that there is a huge market for that type of crap around Europe, but hopefully they don't win.

• Advertisement

Ireland now 8th favourite....g'wan ya good thing!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

Anyone listen to the german song. Its a total ripoff of a well known song. Just can't think of the one. It will come to me tough. Quite like the french song but probably not good enough to win. Taught the Norway song had a chance but probably not good enough as well. As eurovisions go its a stronger year than normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

We are being backed off the boards.

Huge drop in prices. Into 16/1 with Boyles and 20/1 with Paddy's from three figure odds before semi final.

I think we have a great chance to win. Gutted I didn't back them when they were at 50s straight after semi

Shocked if we win. Only reason we made final is over the controversy. Song is ok. Hope we do well but song is pretty average imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Shocked if we win. Only reason we made final is over the controversy. Song is ok. Hope we do well but song is pretty average imo.

Diversity vote, decent song, headlines/controversy being generated by us and fantastic order position.

Think it's a cocktail that will see us go close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

ireland 4th in the betting market with one firm :eek:

There was talk that Israel was leaving the Eurovision, if this years song is anything to go by I think they should have.

There was talk that Israel was leaving the Eurovision, if this years song is anything to go by I think they should have.

Shocked its second fav. But stuff like this has gone well in the past.

The German song is growing on me. Probably due to the fact i'm convinced it's a take on a well known recent song. I remember the linnets song one year was a total take on every breath you take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Israel have it won.

She lists some of the PC "progressive" points ..
    Fat CHECK
    Ugly CHECK
    #MeToo spokesperson !! CHECK

I heard some of her song ... "Don't use me as a toy...."

You're all right there love, don't worry ...

Advertisement