Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eurovision 2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Amik wrote: »
    You don't just have a sharp eye for bets, but instruments too. :P

I'd love to try one of these!

Dr.Mix does a better walk-trough demo of the 505's capabilities.
    It's basically Ed Sherry's foot loopstation, but for beatboxers.

https://youtu.be/FcpG41M0VGI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Backed Bulgaria ew at 10/1, not sure its a winner but think it should float around the top 5.

Not sure about Israel, like the song, but the audience is very left wing for the eurovision, Israel is absolutely loathed by many, would that make a difference regarding the public vote?

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Backed Bulgaria ew at 10/1, not sure its a winner but think it should float around the top 5.

Not sure about Israel, like the song, but the audience is very left wing for the eurovision, Israel is absolutely loathed by many, would that make a difference regarding the public vote?

Bulgaria could do well live, but best market for them is SF1, @7, 3pl.

Isr indeed wouldn't have much unilateral support or popularity, just checked and it's been about 20yrs since their win. It's catchy and innovative, but it takes more than just a good song to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Amik

I'm crazy for Eye Cue. Macedonia's final drought ends this year I predict.

Marija reminds me a lot of Emmelie de Forest above.

I'm crazy for Eye Cue. Macedonia's final drought ends this year I predict.

Marija reminds me a lot of Emmelie de Forest above.

Absolutely, FYR is the real 200/1 outside dark horse in this contest, she's very 'Dua Lipa' too.

Then again Czech did a similar strong song last year that failed to even qualify for finals.

It's also a brave attempt in song construction: 'country-ballad into reggae'. Huge flip between verse and chorus in style and pace. It could be a grower simply due to unusual dynamics.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I like Macedonia a lot too, it's a real fan favourite. Only thing going against it is the unusual song structure, and the fact it's in such a strong semi final. I'm starting to think they'll make it in though.

I'm really coming around to France now, I'm liking it a lot. And I'm still not feeling Israel at all, I don't think it'll win. This year smacks of 2014, I think staging and semi finals week will change everything.

I like Macedonia a lot too, it's a real fan favourite. Only thing going against it is the unusual song structure, and the fact it's in such a strong semi final. I'm starting to think they'll make it in though.

I'm really coming around to France now, I'm liking it a lot. And I'm still not feeling Israel at all, I don't think it'll win. This year smacks of 2014, I think staging and semi finals week will change everything.

Looking at FYR's structure it's essentially just two 4-chord sequences, and at a fixed 120bpm. The rhythm style is the real big surprise, but the fact that there is some chord consistency may well hold it all together. They use alot of octave switching, and mix it up with extra b'vocs and heavy layering. But essentially it's just this along with a bit of a bridge and pre-chorus.

V: Eb Fm Cm Ab (x2). Ab
    C: Cm -, Fm, Ab - (x4). Cm

We finally get to see Netta performing live thanks to the Amsterdam preparty this weekend. She nailed it in my opinion. Very glad to see she doesn't just stand behind the looper the whole time.

*insert love heart here for the below*

I'm really coming around to France now, I'm liking it a lot. And I'm still not feeling Israel at all, I don't think it'll win.

The singer was sick for the Amsterdam preparty so the UK's Surie sung in her place. She could easily end up on the left side of the scoreboard if the UK entered a good song for once. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

We finally get to see Netta performing live thanks to the Amsterdam preparty this weekend. She nailed it in my opinion. Very glad to see she doesn't just stand behind the looper the whole time.

*insert love heart here for the below*

I LOVE macedonia really grown on me 200/1 each way....we will see!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

The notion that Russia might ban Ireland's Eurovision entry because the video features a gay couple might be just what we need to get the song into the limelight sufficiently to garner a few votes... It's a decent tune and well performed. Deserves at least a place in the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,317 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

exaisle wrote: »
    The notion that Russia might ban Ireland's Eurovision entry because the video features a gay couple might be just what we need to get the song into the limelight sufficiently to garner a few votes... It's a decent tune and well performed. Deserves at least a place in the final.

The story is a hoax though. Russian TV would have no reason to show Ireland's preview video, never mind ban it.

I think Ryan might well qualify all the same, he's the most experienced singer we've sent in years.

gmisk wrote: »
    I LOVE macedonia really grown on me 200/1 each way....we will see!

Would be loverley! Essentialy x50 ROI for placing 4th, if it can.
    Safer option is: top10 finish @17.

It's a big task though, and many reckon it's the most competitive for many a year. It's similar to Bulgaria last year whom were considered outsiders at 80/1 right up to the start but finished near the top.

The fact that it's priced the same as Ireland's slightly dull slow waltz/ballad shows that FYR hasn't been properly evaluated properly by traders.

Another dark horse is Romania, a tad '80's hairspray rock', it has plenty of positive feedback so far.

The only over priced and undervalued entries are the Azerbijiggyjiggyistans and Cyprus's uptempo tune. Netherlands might do better than expected if he can crowd surf at the end of the live performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Just listened to the songs for the first time today. Early impression: really like Belgium. I do enjoy songs with the Bond vibe though.

It's a big task though, and many reckon it's the most competitive for many a year. It's similar to Bulgaria last year whom were considered outsiders at 80/1 right up to the start but finished near the top.

The fact that it's priced the same as Ireland's slightly dull slow waltz/ballad shows that FYR hasn't been properly evaluated properly by traders.

Another dark horse is Romania, a tad '80's hairspray rock', it has plenty of positive feedback so far.

The only over priced and undervalued entries are the Azerbijiggyjiggyistans and Cyprus's uptempo tune. Netherlands might do better than expected if he can crowd surf at the end of the live performance.
    Totally agree RE Azerbaijan and Cyprus both very catchy

Where can I get the Top 10 option? Only online or can I walk into one of the local bookies and ask for it? Don't see it on their sites.

Where can I get the Top 10 option? Only online or can I walk into one of the local bookies and ask for it? Don't see it on their sites.

Online its Sky@17 or BFExcahnge@25. Always best to do as double/treble/acca with other markets if possible. Thereby multiplying odds and reducing any stake requirement. Some shops may offer it, but up to individual shop perhaps.

Although have little interest in them, another novelty option for a double, could be for the name of the new mini royal, across the water.

A boy is likely @1.83 and a safe-ish option. May be called Peter@50, Fred-Frederick17, Albert/Arthur12 or even Francis41 .

If it's a girl, Mary is the new most popular choice @4, just ahead of Alice8 (hyped last time). It's likely to become public domain once a few printers and merchandise distribution folks get some fresh large purchase orders, for merchandising tat and whotnot.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

Anybody from here going?

mimimcmc wrote: »
    Anybody from here going?

Ah now, folks probably don't like it that much (unless they're off on a RTE funded jolly). Light entertainment, bit of slagging and a lucky dip is all.

See that the Macedonians are off to a good start, WillyHill and PatrickPowers have reduced their chances from 200 to around 50/1.

u8wfRVG.png

Anybody from here going?

I'll be there! My first in-person Eurovision. I'll be going to the 2nd Semi-Final family show.

Any news about the events going on around the city?

Maybe you and I can present in person the Eurovision Boards.ie Fan Favourite award to whoever we all pick on here. ;)

• Advertisement

See that the Macedonians are off to a good start, WillyHill and PatrickPowers have reduced their chances from 200 to around 50/1.

u8wfRVG.png

AND her name is Marija, so @4 too. ;)

EYE-CUE.-640x360.jpg

The only over priced and undervalued entries are the Azerbijiggyjiggyistans and Cyprus's uptempo tune.

Aisel had a much better performance at the Israel Calling pre-party. Much more movement and full of expression.

I'll be there! My first in-person Eurovision. I'll be going to the 2nd Semi-Final family show.

Any news about the events going on around the city?

Maybe you and I can present in person the Eurovision Boards.ie Fan Favourite award to whoever we all pick on here. ;)

Oh hi friend! I'm gonna be in Lisbon from the Thursday morning til the Monday. We got tickets for the Thursday afternoon show. But I was also wondering the same about the events around the city? Wondering where would be good to watch the final since I doubt we'll be getting tickets to it :(

Wondering where would be good to watch the final since I doubt we'll be getting tickets to it :(

As far as I'm aware the Eurovision Village will be in the Praça do Comércio. There should be big screens and crowds to watch the final on. Atmosphere will be much better than on the coach at home I'm sure. :)

06645a_a825c023c2a94d328085e71779564fbd~mv2.jpg

Not sure if they're impossible to get into but hoping to attend a delegation party or two, usually at local establishments and embassies/consulates. Maybe someone here has been to one?

Checking if there's an FYR Macedonia Embassy in Lisbon... ;)

As far as I'm aware the Eurovision Village will be in the Praça do Comércio. There should be big screens and crowds to watch the final on. Atmosphere will be much better than on the coach at home I'm sure. :)

06645a_a825c023c2a94d328085e71779564fbd~mv2.jpg

Not sure if they're impossible to get into but hoping to attend a delegation party or two, usually at local establishments and embassies/consulates. Maybe someone here has been to one?

Checking if there's an FYR Macedonia Embassy in Lisbon... ;)

Ah that looks great, Thanks for the info!
    Actually I'd love as much info from you as possible, going into this pretty blind :o

'Extra bonus token points' for FYR are likely:
    The European Commission has backed the opening of formal membership talks with Albania and Macedonia as the EU looks to expand into the Balkans and grow for the first time in years.
    Have only heard the Albanian tune once, and that was enough.

But isn't the ever expanding EU, the source of some of it's main issues?

So jealous of those of you who're going! Mimi sorry I'm not much help with information, but if you check out the the Eurovision forum on Digital Spy I'm sure you'll get all the answers you need there, there's usually a few dozen from there who head over. Who knows you could even link up with some of them if you wanted to :)

So jealous of those of you who're going! Mimi sorry I'm not much help with information, but if you check out the the Eurovision forum on Digital Spy I'm sure you'll get all the answers you need there, there's usually a few dozen from there who head over. Who knows you could even link up with some of them if you wanted to :)

I'll have a look there, thanks! :)

Oh hi friend! I'm gonna be in Lisbon from the Thursday morning til the Monday. We got tickets for the Thursday afternoon show. But I was also wondering the same about the events around the city? Wondering where would be good to watch the final since I doubt we'll be getting tickets to it :(
    I previously went to eurovision in Malmo so eurovision 2013 (time flies) (staying in Copenhagen - and Eimile De Forest did a winners concert before I left-hurrah).
    I would really recommend joining some of the supporter groups on facebook, a lot of people got tickets a few days before via there.

• Advertisement

Anybody from here going?

Just read that the Portugal branch of the OGAE (worldwide Eurovision fan club) are hosting a EuroCafe during the event.

http://www.ogaeeurocafe2018.ogaeportugal.pt

60 EUR seems a bit steep but it's for the whole duration of the event.

zlx9py.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Anyone else think this is a really poor year for songs?

Beersmith wrote: »
    Anyone else think this is a really poor year for songs?

It's not a standout year for sure, no one song obviously better than the rest imo. Israel are the heavy favourites but I'm not feeling it. This feels like a year where staging will matter more than others. Just over two weeks until the semi's start and I've no idea who'll win.

Ryan O'Shaughnessy will be joined by the two dancers from the video on stage in Lisbon along with three female backing singers. He has a pic up on Instagram of them all together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,912 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I actually think Ireland's song this year is one of our best in a while

We've had some truly awful ones the last 3 or 4 years

NDWC wrote: »

Yep it is ok for me (not great - even though he has a great voice) but its in a really tough semi I would be really shocked if we qualify

• Advertisement

gmisk wrote: »
    Yep it is ok for me (not great - even though he has a great voice) but its in a really tough semi I would be really shocked if we qualify

The semi is tough for everyone. Some of the certs that fans think will coast through to the final might not be certs at all. I could see a few shock NQs here.

NDWC wrote: »

I agree. Ryan also seems to have a great personality. I hope he gets a chance to expose it in Lisbon:

Here he is at the London Eurovision Party.

If we fail to qualify this year I think we should play the Swedish card next year, like we almost did in 2015. :D

I agree. Ryan also seems to have a great personality. I hope he gets a chance to expose it in Lisbon:

Here he is at the London Eurovision Party.

If we fail to qualify this year I think we should play the Swedish card next year, like we almost did in 2015. :D

I'm still bitter we didn't send Erika when she clearly had the best song. Iirc correctly Linda Martin made some nonsensical comments about having a Swedish person representing Ireland, no doubt that had some bit of influence.

I'm still bitter we didn't send Erika when she clearly had the best song. Iirc correctly Linda Martin made some nonsensical comments about having a Swedish person representing Ireland, no doubt that had some bit of influence.

original?width=500&version=1339294

+1 I was cheering for Erika to win, too.

Would be great if we Boardies could help her make a return in 2019 but she seems to have disappeared from the music scene:

https://www.facebook.com/erikaselinmusic/

I loved that Erika Selin song...but on the night I thought Molly Sterling was far better....I honestly think that playing with numbers was the best song we have sent for a long time.

• Advertisement

English version of the Spanish entry. Very nice, sweet lyrics that put Azerbaijan's "Misty moon I'm your loon" to shame. :P

I hope this is just for promotion and they're keeping the Spanish version.

Not sure if Ryan's Late Late performance was ever posted on the thread. He can sell the song live very well, plus with the draw we've got something of a shot at qualifying. It's interesting that the dancers from the video will also be on stage, if they could recreate the video they might be on to something, who knows.

Rehearsal's begin tomorrow! Who are your favourites before it all begins? Macedonia, Estonia and France are my top three, with France being my number one. France are creeping up the odds, now sixth favourite overall. Can't see them winning at all though.

Estonia have faded in the odds somewhat, I hope they do well. At one point it was looking likely they wouldn't be able to emulate the national final staging but were saved via a last minute sponsorship deal.

Not sure if Ryan's Late Late performance was ever posted on the thread. He can sell the song live very well, plus with the draw we've got something of a shot at qualifying. It's interesting that the dancers from the video will also be on stage, if they could recreate the video they might be on to something, who knows.

That's probably the best version to date, with the decent gospel-esq backing vocs picked up for the 1st time. The early part of the bridge could loose a few empty bars.

Again not a bad song, not a bad singer, but the wrong approach, wrong song and wrong competition.

Underrated: FYR Maca' / Romania & Slovenia's pole dancing club song
    Overrated: Uk / Ire & Estonia (never liked this, even when 2F)

With the GrandFinal exactly 2wks away,
    the organisers have issued their list of banned items from the competition this year, golf balls feature highly.
    So remember any chaps to check your pockets for balls on the way in this year if you've had a few rounds.

_101040633_0e2c7104d850a842f410a52944de52ab.png

Because we here in the thread can't get enough of Eye Cue, here's their Spanish Pre-party performance (very nicely shot for a change)!

Marija has legs from here to Skopje! ;)

Fun little tool I discovered this week:

https://www.overthinkingit.com/eve/

I analyzed 2013 to 2017 and (if I'm reading this correctly) it looks like only three countries that traditionally vote for FYR Macedonia are in Semi Final 1 (Croatia, Albania, Bulgaria).

Same situation for Ireland (3) unless the UK or Italy vote in our semi.

2e4kodv.png

Because we here in the thread can't get enough of Eye Cue, here's their Spanish Pre-party performance (very nicely shot for a change)!

Marija has legs from here to Skopje! ;)

Decent performance there, loverley Marija & Eye Cue's top (200/1) tune could well be singular reason for upcoming EU & Nato membership on their table.

4/5 layers of backing vocs on the 2nd Chorus, finger clicking, muted guitar delay (from the TemperTrap), and even a splash of reggae!

Although FYR have only made it to double-digits in recent semi-finals, something suggests that maybe Bojan Trajkovski has written tunes before.

P2jwc9z.png

That ESC chart thingy aptly from 'overthinkingit'.com makes my Euromillion ball prediction charts look like an MS-Paint job.

Here's Lea at the Spanish pre-party -- cracker of a performance!

Chorus is a bit awkward without supporting dancers but this girl has great stage presence. According to the Overthinking It tool Slovenia has a lot of voting friends in Semi Final 2, too.

If they can recreate the performance from the national final, especially the picture frame/mirror bit, this should sneak into the final.

Slightly tweaked way of compiling the jury votes this year, don't think it'll make too much of a difference overall.

Day 1 of Rehearsals has arrived!

Here's Israel's Netta. A little too much focus on the chicken part of her song? This could be going back to the drawing board this week...

Belgium's Sennek was very classy. I like this one. Looks like she'll make full use of the stage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement