Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving schools

Options
  • 16-10-2017 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I am currently in 5th year. I have always had terrible anxiety around school not being able to sit in class for fear of panic attacks etc. I wanted to move schools for 5th year but it was too late by the time my parents tried. It's now October and the anxiety hasn't been so bad but im feeling it coming back on and this is mainly because of the school I'm in I'm in an all girls school and I don't have much friends and I was bullied a little at the start of 5th year and I just really dislike the teachers etc. I feel i just wanna be in a different school preferibly mixed to make new friends I would rather be with people I do not know instead of girls I know who are really horrible. Is there any way I can even get into a private school ? I just can't take my school much longer and it's affecting my moods etc . I've went to counselling and nothing has helped Is there anything I can do to transfer asap even though I have already started 5th year ? Thank you

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Why you think it will be different in another school?

You say you want friends, then you say you want to be with people you do not know.

I'm not sure moving schools will make any difference, but if your parents are willing to shell out money unnecessarily, I'm sure private schools will be delighted to take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭tevey08

spurious wrote: »

You say you want friends, then you say you want to be with people you do not know.

I'm not sure moving schools will make any difference, but if your parents are willing to shell out money unnecessarily, I'm sure private schools will be delighted to take it.

How useless this information was, how do you know moving schools won't make a difference. Maybe she finds it easier to make male friends.

Obviously the girl doesn't want to be with people she knows to try avoid bullying. Of course it would help moving schools.

In regards to transferring schools, I don't have much information but it must be possible. If you contact citizens information, I'm sure they could assist you.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭ace_irl

Best thing to do is to pick out the schools you would be interested in moving to and get your parents to contact them. A lot of private schools will facilitate a move under the right circumstances but they will need to interview you and assess your ability to see if the school will be a good fit for you. Something to consider is possibly moving to a smaller school.

Another way of looking for a school is to contact one that you already know people in, a school may be more inclined to take you in if you will have a support system.

You will have to decide if you would be happy to repeat a year as well. I saw a lot of people repeat a year when they transferred after the beginning of term.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Pinkyflower16

Jeez you're always so negative on my posts

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Jeez you're always so negative on my posts

What other posts have you? Are you using more than one account here?

You might call it negative, but the problem is your anxiety not the school.
    Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying to you.

You might call that negative, but it's the real world.

Your thread probably belongs in Personal Issues, as it is not an educational problem. If you want it moved, I can do that.

• Advertisement

What other posts have you? Are you using more than one account here?

You might call that negative, but it's the real world.

Your thread probably belongs in Personal Issues, as it is not an educational problem. If you want it moved, I can do that.

I came a cross a comment also from you on my other post which was also negative. How is this not educational problem? It's about schools so obviously that's educational . It's not all about anxiety it's about me also not having much friends and I tend to mix better with both genders instead of just the one and also this anxiety only tends to occur whenever I am in that school - nowhere else ever. ☺️

Contact the school you want to go to and see will they take you in at this stage.
    The returns may not yet have been sent in.

I am currently in 5th year in an all girls school And I really don't like this . Right now in my school I am being bullied by two girls andeven sometimes by my friends where ill be left alone at lunch etc . I never liked my school and I tried to move over summer as 4th year was really horrible for me but when my parent called up over summer it was too late as there was no places in other schools. I really can't cope anymore I know I'm in 5th year and there's not long left but when you're in everyday the terms feel really long . I have my midterm break next Friday and was wondering if my parents called up schools would there be any chance of them taking me after midterm break ?or is it too late ? The bullying etc is too much which is affecting my school work and grades and also affects my moods :( thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭ace_irl

You'll have to get them to start ringing now. There's no way to say for sure if any school will give you a place. Try the likes of the institute in town, per their website they are still taking applications for this year but they are very expensive.

You're going to have to meet with your school anyway, get your parents to talk to the principal about how you are being treated. Write everything down that's happened to you in school and why it has impacted you so much and have your parents give it to your principal to read. Ring every school that you would like to transfer to and go meet with them.

Get your parents to put pressure on the school to help facilitate a move, they can be very helpful in these situations.

Just keep in mind that moving schools may not fix everything, it will be up to you to make friends and to include yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

Such an ignorant comment. Anxiety can be amplified based on the environment you're in. Some schools have toxics environments, whilst others do not. No need for you to be a internet doctor, simply move this to personal issues if you see fit.

• Advertisement

hasdanta wrote:
    Such an ignorant comment. Anxiety can be amplified based on the environment you're in. Some schools have toxics environments, whilst others do not. No need for you to be a internet doctor, simply move this to personal issues if you see fit.

I have already asked the OP if they want this, but no response.
    Please use the report post facility if you wish to.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

I have already asked the OP if they want this, but no response.
    Please use the report post facility if you wish to.
    Just filed the report there to see it's reported to the forum moderator (a/k/a you). How justice will be served.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 w.b. yokes

I am currently in 5th year in an all girls school And I really don't like this . Right now in my school I am being bullied by two girls andeven sometimes by my friends where ill be left alone at lunch etc . I never liked my school and I tried to move over summer as 4th year was really horrible for me but when my parent called up over summer it was too late as there was no places in other schools. I really can't cope anymore I know I'm in 5th year and there's not long left but when you're in everyday the terms feel really long . I have my midterm break next Friday and was wondering if my parents called up schools would there be any chance of them taking me after midterm break ?or is it too late ? The bullying etc is too much which is affecting my school work and grades and also affects my moods :( thank you

Do your parents know you're being bullied? If I was your father and you told me you were being bullied there'd probably be some doors kicked in or slaps thrown.. What about tuition? I stopped attending school because of asd/depression/anxiety and I'm getting tutored for Leaving Cert at the moment. PM me if you need to, I know how it is!!

hasdanta wrote:
    Just filed the report there to see it's reported to the forum moderator (a/k/a you). How justice will be served.

I am not a moderator in this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I am currently in 5th year. I have always had terrible anxiety around school not being able to sit in class for fear of panic attacks etc.
    Right now in my school I am being bullied by two girls .... The bullying etc is too much which is affecting my school work and grades and also affects my moods :( thank you
    Pinky, have you spoken to anyone about the bullying? ... school counsellor, principal, year head, anyone?

Have you spoken to anyone about the anxiety / panic attacks? ... the counsellor in school, a counsellor outside the school, your GP even?

What I am hearing from your posts is, I'm afraid, exactly what spurious is hearing (grumpy old bear as she can sometimes be in expressing herself), that there are two problems here:

... an underlying issue of what sounds, going on your own words above, like pretty severe anxiety

... a school environment which does sound pretty bad, especially if there genuinely is bullying involved, and I do actually agree with hasdanta's comment:
    hasdanta wrote: »
    Anxiety can be amplified based on the environment you're in.

However, switching to a new school without tackling the underlying issue is unlikely to solve the problem. In fact, in my experience, there is a real danger that the cycle will just start all over again, especially as switching to a new school so late on, while you may find it a huge relief in some ways, also brings with it a whole lot of different stress in itself.

There's also the point that if it was too late in the summer (your own words) to get into another school, it's even later now, unless you have someone with a certain professional standing to speak for you.

It's time to ask for help, Pinky.

Not just from an anonymous internet forum, but from a real life person who can actually help.

Your school counsellor, your year head, your GP ... someone! And keep asking for help until someone listens properly ...

There's nothing wrong with asking for help, we all have to do it at times.

Advertisement