Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recognising English Teaching Qualification In Ireland

Options
  • 16-10-2017 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi all. Sorry if I’m posting this query in the wrong place but I really need help with it. I’m doing a Postgraduate Diploma of Education in French and Spanish in England. It’s 120 credits so it would satisfy TCI requirements.
    From my undergraduate degree (European Studies, UL) I’m unsure if I have enough credits to teach French and Spanish. Does anyone have experience of returning from England and make up for shortfalls from their undergraduate degree? If so what Irish universities accommodate for teachers with these shortfalls?
    As well, can you apply for TCI registration while doing your NQT year in England? Or do you have to wait until you have finished your NQT year to start the process as that is when you will have all the necessary documents for TCI registration?
    Finally, could you do your NQT year in England, come back to Ireland and teach e.g. a maternity cover/ part-time whilst getting qualifications recognisied by TCI?
    If someone could help me out I’d really appreciate it. TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Hi all. Sorry if I’m posting this query in the wrong place but I really need help with it. I’m doing a Postgraduate Diploma of Education in French and Spanish in England. It’s 120 credits so it would satisfy TCI requirements.
    From my undergraduate degree (European Studies, UL) I’m unsure if I have enough credits to teach French and Spanish. Does anyone have experience of returning from England and make up for shortfalls from their undergraduate degree? If so what Irish universities accommodate for teachers with these shortfalls?
    As well, can you apply for TCI registration while doing your NQT year in England? Or do you have to wait until you have finished your NQT year to start the process as that is when you will have all the necessary documents for TCI registration?
    Finally, could you do your NQT year in England, come back to Ireland and teach e.g. a maternity cover/ part-time whilst getting qualifications recognisied by TCI?
    If someone could help me out I’d really appreciate it. TIA.

A lot of queries - some of which I can help.

Firstly see if your degree is on the TC list of recognised degree programmes. If it is, you can register with them with whatever subjects they deem you eligible to teach.

If not, you need to get your degree assessed by the TC and they will tell you what you're shortfalls are - it's up to you to find where you can do these. I think all universities will be able to accommodate you.

In order to register with the TC - it's your degree that allows you to register not your dip (which is needed for full registration obviously).

In order to register with qualifications outside of the state, I think you have to complete your NQT year in that country before registering in Ireland.

Once registered - you can teach.

I hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Shopassistant

Hi mtoutlemonde that's a massive help. Thank you so much, I truly appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Hi mtoutlemonde that's a massive help. Thank you so much, I truly appreciate it.

De rien.

Advertisement