Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video camera for an interested 12-year old

Options
  • 17-10-2017 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭

I have no clue about video cameras. My son has asked for one for Christmas. He has an ASD with the associated narrow range of interests. When he gets into something he really gets in to it, so we encourage him when he does.

He mentioned a GoPro, probably because that's what he saw on youtube. At the moment he uses a tablet to do video blogs, record his football skills in the garden and generally his surroundings. One thing he said he wants to do is attach it to the crossbar of his goalposts. Also he wants to mount it on stand. I'm guessing that's standardised?

I read a little on the GoPro and reviews seem mixed with a wide range of models and prices.

Not sure what to buy, any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Most of the time a decent smartphone (€300+) will do great vlogging video but sometimes you dont want to put it in harms way. In those cases a GoPro has an advantage. The difference with a gopro is its wide angle lens:

rtaImage?eid=ka51J000000LPPZ&feoid=00No0000007wpmQ&refid=0EMo0000000DK2s

For shooting from the goalposts this would be ideal. GoPros and the knockoffs there of use a standard mounting system with a plethora of options (sucker, bike, helmet, cap, dog, sticky, tripod).

A Session 4 is nice and can be found affordably 2nd hand. Alternatively an SJ Cam 5000 (the real one, not the fakes of fakes) is a little bigger but very affordable new.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

ED E wrote: »
    Most of the time a decent smartphone (€300+) will do great vlogging video but sometimes you dont want to put it in harms way. In those cases a GoPro has an advantage. The difference with a gopro is its wide angle lens:

For shooting from the goalposts this would be ideal. GoPros and the knockoffs there of use a standard mounting system with a plethora of options (sucker, bike, helmet, cap, dog, sticky, tripod).

A Session 4 is nice and can be found affordably 2nd hand. Alternatively an SJ Cam 5000 (the real one, not the fakes of fakes) is a little bigger but very affordable new.
    Thanks. I'll check those out.

I just thought I might mention his ASD as it will have a bearing on things. Once he gets the camera he will spend all of his time on it. He is doing some good things with the tablet.

If he's likely to want to do extended periods filming (over 90-120 mins) then a cheapo battery pack is a good idea, save frustration.

2600mah-usb-power-bank-portable-external-battery-pack-for-iphone-htc-psp-ipod-2-.jpg

Any basic one like this is great for the little action cams as it adds an extra four charges worth or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is there a risk of it getting a belt of a football?

Victor wrote: »
    Is there a risk of it getting a belt of a football?
    Am wondering about that. Any sort of protective casing, or camera designed for knocks?

• Advertisement

Any other suggestions for a GoPro alternative? The GoPro is out of my budget. If it was for myself I would go second hand but as it will be a present I'd prefer to go new.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Heighway61 wrote: »
    Any other suggestions for a GoPro alternative? The GoPro is out of my budget. If it was for myself I would go second hand but as it will be a present I'd prefer to go new.

You just need an actioncam, there are lots to choose from

This one has a very good review for 50 euros if your son has mobile phone he can pair it with.
    418301105966f4959620be5f398e496b-650-80.jpg
    http://www.techradar.com/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/camcorders/tomtom-bandit-1292441/review

but there are lots of options if you are happy to spend more.

http://www.techradar.com/news/photography-video-capture/cameras/gopro-generation-the-ultimate-guide-to-action-cameras-1274790

Thanks. Where did you see the Tomtom for €50? I see it for £140 and upwards on Amazon.

Would I do OK in getting one of these cheaper cameras, or are they a bit too cheap?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_6?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=action+cam

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Sorry,
    the prices on that tech radar site are wrong, the cheapest I can find it is €150
    https://www.tomtom.com/en_ie/action-camera/action-camera/products/tomtom-bandit-action-camera/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Well, you could ask your son if he wants a new knockoff or a used genuine go-pro, sometimes knock offs of pricey goods can be made with substandard materials.

I'd only buy a knockoff if it's the same quality and durability of the original

• Advertisement

I don't suppose there is anything out there that would protect a camera from the ball if it was attached to the goalposts or crossbar?

I don't suppose there is anything out there that would protect a camera from the ball if it was attached to the goalposts or crossbar?

Yes, the waterproof housing. See below

Advertisement